The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the act of busking on the streets
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by faramita View Post
I think uptempo positive cheerful music is generally more profitable. I suspect people are not inclined to stop and listen to 28 verses of how sad you are because your boyfriend left you and did not even do the the washing up on the way out. Than again, I might be wrong. https://static.gearslutz.com/board/i...lies/smile.gif
My experience is, that you can't please all the people all the time when it comes to repertoire so you have to please yourself.

I certainly have uptempo happy songs in my repertoire, and I have blues songs as well. I have popular covers, obscure covers and original songs in my repertoire.

Only singing morose, dark songs probably isn't a good business strategy. If you only sing happy songs then that won't work after a while either if your heart isn't in it.

Variety is a good strategy.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Dan,

Having read your posts in this thread, you've asked for constructive criticism and advice, and when you didn't like what came back, you got all angry about it and decided that the general public would be a better source of information because they're the ones paying.

In other words, you've taken your car to the local garage for a check-over, they've given you a list of things that are needed and also made some good recommendations to improve the longevity/fuel economy/whatever, and you've replied "well, I'm paying for it so your knowledge/experience means nothing".

You came here asking for advice. What prompted you? Was it that you genuinely didn't know the answers to your questions, or did you just want a bit of affirmation? Did you consider that you might actually get some really good advice?

I would encourage you to re-read this thread in its entirety and then think carefully about your attitude and how you reacted to some criticism which was actually worded really nicely - if you weren't spending all your energy on being upset, you'd be able to put that advice to good use and actually improve your skills. You know, the thing you're hoping to do. Right?

Chris

PS - Your spelling and grammar are both terrible. Want to be that big powerful business man? Learn to write. Nobody's going to take you seriously otherwise.

PPS - 3.5mm to 2x 1/4" jack cables are cheap. Take one to an open mic and there's no reason you can't play. I run the sound at an open mic in Sheffield, so if you're ever over this way we can have a chat and an pint.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post

In other words, you've taken your car to the local garage for a check-over, they've given you a list of things that are needed and also made some good recommendations to improve the longevity/fuel economy/whatever, and you've replied "well, I'm paying for it so your knowledge/experience means nothing".
at the ned of the day anyone can put a guitar on the sholders and open there mounth and claim to be a musicians (and most do)
But in reality they have never trained or are qualified to pass any fair judgment any more then drunken bob in the pub on karaoke night, because simon (cowl) said so

Wooowee how stupid is that
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I would encourage you to re-read this thread in its entirety and then think carefully about your attitude and how you reacted to some criticism which was actually worded really nicely
and how should it of been wored then? in the same way as it was done on the jimmy****forbrains bullyboy club https://homerecording.com/bbs/

You are a sad little sounding sucker (for singing past G#4 not that we know what it means though) and no emount of training will make you any better now pack it all in before you make a fool out of your self silly little man

See the attached file for further detailes
Attached Images
File Type: bmp court hearing.bmp (982.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperate dan View Post
and how should it of been wored then? in the same way as it was done on the jimmy****forbrains bullyboy club https://homerecording.com/bbs/

You are a sad little sounding sucker (for singing past G#4 not that we know what it means though) and no emount of training will make you any better now pack it all in before you make a fool out of your self silly little man

See the attached file for further detailes
I would say Chris 661 gave you some good advice as well, but you just shunned him. I read all of this thread. Chris is right. There is good constructive criticism on here, said encouragingly. I would re read like Chris 661 said. Cheers. Best of luck to you
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
You are a sad little sounding sucker
... and now you've made it personal.

I hereby revoke the offer of a chat over a pint. Who knows, we could've done some live and recording work, put together an album, etc. Gone like leaves in the wind, and it's your own silly fault.

I'd normally wish you the best of luck with your endeavours (others have been kind enough to do so), but you seem so certain that you're right and everyone else is wrong that you won't need anything from me. Or, probably, anyone else on the forum.

Not-Desperate-Chris
Old 2 days ago
Quote:

I hereby revoke the offer of a chat over a pint. Who knows, we could've done some live and recording work, put together an album, etc. Gone like leaves in the wind, and it's your own silly fault.

I'd normally wish you the best of luck with your endeavours (others have been kind enough to do so), but you seem so certain that you're right and everyone else is wrong that you won't need anything from me. Or, probably, anyone else on the forum.

Not-Desperate-Chris
If I wasn’t a pond away, I’d take that offer of a pint.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
My experience is, that you can't please all the people all the time when it comes to repertoire so you have to please yourself.

I certainly have uptempo happy songs in my repertoire, and I have blues songs as well. I have popular covers, obscure covers and original songs in my repertoire.

Only singing morose, dark songs probably isn't a good business strategy. If you only sing happy songs then that won't work after a while either if your heart isn't in it.

Variety is a good strategy.
Indeed. And it all depends on the situation as well.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you so much for you constructive critisum, but if its all the same I would rarther listen to the audiance as it is they who are paying me and not you
Of course - that is obviously the only thing that is important. So why did you bother coming on this forum (and others) to ask for advice and opinions? What did you hope to gain?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Mumbles View Post
I would say Chris 661 gave you some good advice as well,
I cant find it so you will have to quote it for me

Quote:
wasint talking about you! was refering to the jimmy****forbrains bullyboy club http://homerecording.com/
Unless you are a member of it that is and one of the charectors found in the court hearing cartoon?

Quote:
Who knows, we could've done some live and recording work, put together an album, etc. Gone like leaves in the wind, and it's your own silly fault.
and go off and become great big rock star or as allan fairbrother from warrington says "head out of your ass and back on your sholder now"
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Absolutely 100%
The streets are a wash with sad little suckers singing songs like "and been wearing the same cloths now for 3 days and ****ing stink!" (and can't even bridge the passagio break claiming up the chord to the word stink)

I had another go at it this evening and I have to tell you its all a learning curve and I like last time am making mistakes
Well for one I checked the weather forecast and it said it would stop raining at 2pm and when I got there though a few songs the rain started. So I sat in the entrance of the arndale shopping centre hopping for it to pass and it did but decided this time to stand under the arch of one of the shop for shelter from the next shower, paranoid that I would breach the peace by standing on someone land.

So I restart the service again and this time instead the rain left over from the last shower was dripping off of the building onto my laptop. But I could pull a crowd and not just the shoppers out of the Arndale centre but some of the corporative enforcement officers or wardens that policed these streets (and this also included two passing police men as well) the music also went down well with the traders next to me in there little wooden log cabins that they sell from during the Christmas market (this is "High street" in Manchester) As I was packing up the guy from the ice van said do you want a brew so I was most welcome to come back and busk in the same spot again; paranoid that I would breach the peace and be asked to move on.

But a lot of drawing the crowd is about finding the right songs they want to listen to and to be honest (not all but most) it the high key songs that draw the crowd in
Song like as I linked before night fever could draw a crowd but songs like pearl jam Jeremy did not work well hear!
Great! One is learning all the time, and busking is a great way to learn all those tricks. As for advice on this forum, I am not sure that many have any experience busking. I have a little, BUT I am a different person to you, I live in a different country, play and sing different repertoire entirely, not bothered about money that much, my motivation is different, so value of my advice is limited. So, all I can do is to encourage you in your efforts. Do not worry, there will be plenty of critics on the way! After all when Elvis auditioned in Grand Ole Opry they told him to go back to track driving, and Beatles were rejected by pretty much every recording company before they got signed. To mentioned just two examples of wise men judgement.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:

wasint talking about you! was refering to the jimmy****forbrains bullyboy club http://homerecording.com/
Unless you are a member of it that is and one of the charectors found in the court hearing cartoon?
This is the first good advice Chris661 gave you:
“Your spelling and grammar are both terrible. Want to be that big powerful business man? Learn to write. Nobody's going to take you seriously otherwise”. That is common sense but good advice to you as your spelling is pretty bad if English is your first language. If English is your 2nd language you speak it well and have a good command of it.
I’ll post his other good advice on a separate post as it won’t let me copy and paste
Old 2 days ago
Quote:

This is the second good advice Chris661 gave you:
“I would encourage you to re-read this thread in its entirety and then think carefully about your attitude and how you reacted to some criticism which was actually worded really nicely“

They are both good advice.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
This is the first good advice Chris661 gave you:
“Your spelling and grammar are both terrible. Want to be that big powerful business man? Learn to write
ow yes very constructive sir (point scoring little ***)
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
wasint talking about you!
Well, I think this adequately reinforces my point about your written communication.

I don't think I'll be returning to this thread.

Chris
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by faramita View Post
As for advice on this forum, I am not sure that many have any experience busking.
I know what you're saying here, but just for the record, I was busking in London in the early 80s, and since then busked my way around Europe several times, mostly in France and Spain, but also taking in Belgium, Germany and Switzerland (surprisingly good payers). In the early 90s spent a lot of time busking in the West Country. Since then, my musical career hasn't left too much time to get out on the streets, but I do keep my hand in now and again. My last busk was in Ipswich about 3 weeks ago. So, you know, I might be a bit short on tact, for which I apologise, but I do have a bit of experience here.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
still looking farward to the reply
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

busking is bad as you take away one of the very few options for junkies to make any money! ok though if you're under 16 or a music student left without a place to rehearse...

spare us the playback!
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
busking is bad as you take away one of the very few options for junkies to make any money!
Good!
And good ridions to such scum!
Old 18 hours ago
Lives for gear

The one big benefit a village idiot provides every community is that their idiotic attitude and behavior greatly increases the probably the balance of the population will have a better chance of acceptance. desperate dan certainly fills that bill for the Gearslutz forum community.
Hugh
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search