The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PA setup
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

PA setup

I'm working on a 30+ year old PA system in a gymnasium, consisting of 2 horns (think outdoor stadium), 6 mic drops, 7 channel board, and an amp. I was told that it didn't work/ sounds so bad it's not useable. After some investigation and many trips, I found it does work and was setup wrong.

Of the six mic drops I found 4, one by the scorer's table, 3 in the floor of the stage. I won't even hook into those, as they have years of dirt/pop/puke in them. The one by the scorer's table is the one I'll be using for the time being.

I know the proper way to fix my issue, but I'm on a $0.00 budget, so far I have over $100.00 in cables trying to get this and another system working.

I need to be able to play music(laptop/phone) and have PA from the scorer's table without swapping cables. I tried a "Y" splitter, mic worked then dropped out, music played from my phone worked consistantly fine, didn't matter what side of the "Y" the mic was in.

Is there a simple plug and play option to fix this, like a switched splitter or do I need to try and get the funds and run another drop to the bench?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN23 View Post
I'm working on a 30+ year old PA system in a gymnasium, consisting of 2 horns (think outdoor stadium), 6 mic drops, 7 channel board, and an amp. I was told that it didn't work/ sounds so bad it's not useable. After some investigation and many trips, I found it does work and was setup wrong.

Of the six mic drops I found 4, one by the scorer's table, 3 in the floor of the stage. I won't even hook into those, as they have years of dirt/pop/puke in them. The one by the scorer's table is the one I'll be using for the time being.

I know the proper way to fix my issue, but I'm on a $0.00 budget, so far I have over $100.00 in cables trying to get this and another system working.

I need to be able to play music(laptop/phone) and have PA from the scorer's table without swapping cables. I tried a "Y" splitter, mic worked then dropped out, music played from my phone worked consistantly fine, didn't matter what side of the "Y" the mic was in.

Is there a simple plug and play option to fix this, like a switched splitter or do I need to try and get the funds and run another drop to the bench?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You said you have a 7 channel board. Please list what kind it is.

So far you have only listed the use of ONE input, mic by the scorers table.

You would get the right cable, cheap, and hook up the phone into other inputs.

Without saying it, it SEEMS you problem is the mixer is in a different location than the scorers table and you only have access to one input at the table.

This is really basic stuff and I almost never say this but, if you don't understand this stuff then you shouldn't be the one working on this system. The system your working on may be safe or it may not be safe. It takes a basic level of knowledge to know which it is.

But getting back to your question, a splitter isn't what you need. You need a sound man or you need to put the mixer at the scorers table so whoever is doing the speaking or someone else sitting there can run the ipad, etc.

Please get a professional to come and look your system over to make sure it's safe.

As far as how to hook an ipad up, you would use a cable and go into a stereo channel on the mixer or take up two mono inputs.

I am not sure what cable you used to go from a phone to a XLR mic cable but it is probably wrong.

MIC XLR is a mono cable and phone output stereo signal. Just using an adapter can cause issues such as distortion and sometimes dropout of sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPnHaYYHw6Q
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Without saying it, it SEEMS you problem is the mixer is in a different location than the scorers table and you only have access to one input at the table.
Yes, this is my biggest issue. The board is mounted in a cabinet in a closet on the other side of the gym.

Quote:
This is really basic stuff and I almost never say this but, if you don't understand this stuff then you shouldn't be the one working on this system. The system your working on may be safe or it may not be safe. It takes a basic level of knowledge to know which it is.
I'm not a professional, however I've done sound since I was in high school, I don't work with it every day, but I understand the basics.

Quote:
You would get the right cable, cheap, and hook up the phone into other inputs.
This is what I was thinking, but right now isn't feasible due to my lack of any budget. If I could do this, I'd run 4 channels to the bench and fix the problem.

Quote:
As far as how to hook an ipad up, you would use a cable and go into a stereo channel on the mixer or take up two mono inputs.

I am not sure what cable you used to go from a phone to a XLR mic cable but it is probably wrong.

MIC XLR is a mono cable and phone output stereo signal. Just using an adapter can cause issues such as distortion and sometimes dropout of sound.
The cable I'm using to go from the 1/8" stereo jack to XLR splits the stereo into 2 XLR mono outputs. http://www.amazon.com/TISINO-Stereo-...2F8+to+&sr=8-6
For now, I'll pull the board and hook the adapter directly into it, to have music played someone will have to be at the board in the closet.

I'll look this morning to find out exactly what equipment I'm working with, it's pretty rudimentary.

I really appreciate your response.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It sounds to me like what you really need is a submixer. Probably the least expensive way to accomplish that is with an cheap little mixer that has enough inputs (maybe something along the lines of the Behringer Xenyx 502) and a DI box to convert its line-level ouptut to a microphone-level signal. Total cost should be well under $100 with any care in shopping. In this setup I'd just use either the left or the right output and ignore the other one.

A little higher up the food chain would be something like the A&H Zed10, which has handy output level switch for its output to pad them down to microphone level and so do away with the DI box. It's also a more capable and better-built mixer than any of the cheapest little ones, but naturally one pays a little for all that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Get the board out of the closet.

Put the board where you have access.

You should be able to use the XLR mic cable that goes from the closet to the scorer's desk as the MAIN output signal cable going from mixer output to amp.

Is the amp/amps by the closet where the mixer is?

I would move the mixedr to the scorers desk.

use the one XLR as main output from mixer, as either just left Main output, just right main output, or even if you have a "post fade aud send" use that. You may need a TRS 1/4" to XLR adapter but that is no big deal.

The whole point of a mixer is to have it where you need it! not in a closet where you don't need it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

You DO need a submixer

I know that you have zero budget but......

Why not use a DBX Go Rack at the score's desk (as a submixer)?

With the above you can run your songs using the "Aux In" (or DI on one channel) and use the other mic channel for a mic. You will need an electrical outlet at the desk.

This way you can attenuate each channel separately.

You can use a "Y" cable on the output side and go into the existing xlr that is available.

GoRacks were being "blown-out" a few years ago as I bought a few @ $24.99 with free s/h.
They are handy little units.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Here's what I'm doing, I found a used shure SCM268 microphone/audio mixer that should do exactly what I want. It gives me XLR & RCA inputs, with the ability to control volume and mic/line level at the input and output. It's small enough to keep at the scorer's table and simple to set up.

I haven't had a chance to look at what the other mixer and amp in the cabinet are. They're both rack mounted, and not wanting to have the main board out in the open it was decided they were to stay put. I liked the idea of pulling the board and running the signal to the amp via the existing line, but I think the sub mixer will work as well, and if it gets damaged, I'm only out $60, which is more than I had to spend, but it looked to be the best option.

I'll have the new mixer tomorrow and I'll set it up Thursday, when I have access to the gym.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN23 View Post
Here's what I'm doing, I found a used shure SCM268 microphone/audio mixer that should do exactly what I want. It gives me XLR & RCA inputs, with the ability to control volume and mic/line level at the input and output. It's small enough to keep at the scorer's table and simple to set up.

I haven't had a chance to look at what the other mixer and amp in the cabinet are. They're both rack mounted, and not wanting to have the main board out in the open it was decided they were to stay put. I liked the idea of pulling the board and running the signal to the amp via the existing line, but I think the sub mixer will work as well, and if it gets damaged, I'm only out $60, which is more than I had to spend, but it looked to be the best option.

I'll have the new mixer tomorrow and I'll set it up Thursday, when I have access to the gym.
Looks like a good solution. That unit has a mono out via XLR which is good because you only have on XLR. Good luck.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search