The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Venue: SI Expression Setup
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

New Venue: SI Expression Setup

I'm making a gear list for a new venue.

I've used the Soundcraft SI Expression consoles in the past and really like them. Combined with the Mini Stagebox, it's a great system.

My question regarding outboard gear. I know some FOH engineers have their favorite boxes and sometimes travel with them.

Does anyone here regularly use an SI Expression with outboard? Or do you find that it has everything you need built in? Do you find any challenges when adding outboard for a single event?

Last edited by jerry123; 2 weeks ago at 09:53 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

...Also, does anyone here multi track record live shows using this?

I'm assuming I can use the stagebox for mics and monitors on stage will using the analog outputs onboard to send to an audio interface...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You'll need a MADI interface for multitracking, cheapest is the Motu M64, at $595.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...face-with-madi

Trust me, nobody is going to bring a MADI interface to record in your room, they'll skip your room and record somewhere else. Meanwhile, pretty much every other mixer in that price range can multitrack over USB. I should also point out that most techs showing up with saved mixes will be from the X32/M32 series. By not supplying the most common console you're making soundchecks that much longer.

It's a huge pet peeve of mine when small venue techs choose their gear based on their biases and preferences. You must prioritize the more demanding acts above your own preferences. It's so much easier to just get accustomed to gear that suits their needs than for touring acts to adjust to random gear from venue to venue. The ones that won't use an X32/M32 will bring their own console. Those that are prepared to use the venue's console will all have X32 scenes ready to load. Plus they can even record direct to SD cards. Nobody will skip your venue for recording due to tech limitations.

Edit: Oh right, you can get a ViSi Connect card with USB/Firewire for a mere $475 extra.

Last edited by AC2SPL; 2 weeks ago at 09:50 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Good points. Thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I'll agree with AC2SPL in as much as, that in 2019 I think there are several offerings within that pricerange that are more powerful desks than the Expression. IIRC, I also seem to remember some folks saying it wasn't possible to use external inserts in the Expression's signal chain. I could be wrong.

The xm32 is a little long in the tooth as well, but music group is still supporting FW updates, and I think it does offer more flexibility, certainly allows for inserting outboard.

Personally, I'd take a hard look at the Allen & Heath SQ line, which at least for the moment, is the best bang for the buck, imo.

The Presonus Series iii, which doesn't get mentioned very often, is light-years ahead of the older Presonus stuff & better than many budget digi consoles, ime. The internal plugin suite, available on every channel, is quite good: folks who don't own the console spend decent money to buy the bundle for use in Studio One.

If you can wait a few months & aren't afraid to essentially be a beta tester, the newly announced B Wing ships in January, I believe. There's an active thread on here about it.

In the end, your best bet is to rent a few different consoles to see which best fit the needs of the venue.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I multitrack using usb with the soundcraft madi usb combo card.

Indeed I travel with outboard gear next to my si board:
- Avalon 747 on the master
- DBX 120, depending on the music on kick and/or bass
- DBX quantum II, multiband compression on vocals
- Aphex Exciter with big bottom on vocals
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Valentine View Post
In the end, your best bet is to rent a few different consoles to see which best fit the needs of the venue.
This is the sensible thing to do...people who can only work on an X32 should buy and carry their own.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info, team!

As I'm familiar with local bands that will frequent this place I'm polling them for their tech riders to see what will be the most desirable fit.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post
As I'm familiar with local bands that will frequent this place I'm polling them for their tech riders to see what will be the most desirable fit.
A very pragmatic approach. Just check they're not "vanity" riders asking for fantasy equipment, as many do.

Next Friday's show quote "Yamaha M7CLv3 / LS9-32, Soundcraft Vi6 / Vi4, Digidesign Venue D-Show / Profile / SC48", but are delighted with an X32, which is what they'll get in at least half the UK venues they visit.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecSp View Post
A very pragmatic approach. Just check they're not "vanity" riders asking for fantasy equipment, as many do.

Next Friday's show quote "Yamaha M7CLv3 / LS9-32, Soundcraft Vi6 / Vi4, Digidesign Venue D-Show / Profile / SC48", but are delighted with an X32, which is what they'll get in at least half the UK venues they visit.
Except King Tut's... Last I was there the house tech said they weren't upgrading to digital until the riders had some level of uniformity to their console demands. I told him if they say two or more brands of consoles they will accept an M32 whether it's listed or not.

Last edited by AC2SPL; 2 weeks ago at 09:34 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2SPL View Post
Except Deaf Institute... Last I was there the house tech said they weren't upgrading to digital until the riders had some level of uniformity to their console demands. I told him if they say two or more brands of consoles they will accept an M32 whether it's listed or not.
And if they *really* care, they'll bring their own mixer, or there'll be budget enough to cover a hire in.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlaat View Post
I multitrack using usb with the soundcraft madi usb combo card.

Indeed I travel with outboard gear next to my si board:
- Avalon 747 on the master
- DBX 120, depending on the music on kick and/or bass
- DBX quantum II, multiband compression on vocals
- Aphex Exciter with big bottom on vocals

I have a Si Expression 1, a ministagebox 32/8, a macbook pro with cubase and some analog outboard.
I use it in the same way as mdlaat, and it works fine.
since 2013

Yes - there is better desk available today
For a new desk in that price range I would look at Allen & Heath's SQ.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search