The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Active speaker question
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Active speaker question

Hi, I'm having a problem with my pa speaker and hope someone can give me some insight. It's an old speaker.

It is a Mackie sa1521, powered speaker. I also have a spare of which the woofer is blown and needs to be fixed.

The problem: I found that singing through it, when I went loud, the horn would give out for a few seconds. Thinking the horn might be dying, I swapped out the horn for the horn on the other speaker. The same happened on our next jam. The following jam after that, I yelled into the mic and the horn went completely silent and remained that way for the remainder of the jam.

My question: did I blow my horn (no pun intended), or does this sound like an issue in the power amp? Or any other thoughts are welcomed, thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sounds like an amp issue
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Sounds like an amp issue AND (if it's still silent and the other driver would instead work in that loudspeaker) you might blew it too.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for your input guys. I'm going to take it in to the shop to get it looked at

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search