The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Additional channel, additional db adjustment
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Additional channel, additional db adjustment

So I am readjusting our pa system routing. We used to have LCR control with delays summed within Qsys designer. I am switching it so LR out of the console are summed within Qsys designer. I understand that there will be a 6db increase going from stereo to the mono center. But what will the volume difference be going from 3 channels down to 2 with a mono output for delays. How much will I need to increase LR for the delays to compensate for the loss of the center channel?
Put another way, what is the db difference going from 3 identical channels to 2 with a mono output?
Thank you.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Get a db meter and pink noise and set reference level on output meter and measure DBs. switch ober to LR and measure again.

If the LCR is set up with a 100% center divergence then a signal panned center would only send the signal center, therefore you would not get any summing gain from LR channels.

Some mixers allow the signal to have adjustable center channel divergence and so that could cause and issue with LCR.

In the same way the mixers I have used in the past, when panned hard add 6db or so to the signal, however, there is also no LR summation gain because of the panning law.

did you measure a 6db boost?

Pan law- "Contant power means a 3dB difference between centre and edge pan positions. Constant voltage would be 6dB difference."

set your system up, running pink noise through, measure with DB meter, then measure

pink noise center.
Pink noise hard panned.
pink noise partial pan.

doing this will show you what is going on instead of just guessing.

One problen when running many things hard panned is that extra 6db can add up quickly in the buss and clip stuff.

Apart fro
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search