The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Guitar Amps as Monitors fed from the PA
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Guitar Amps as Monitors fed from the PA

Hi all,
Please let me know if this is possible; I'd like to run my guitar amp as a monitor but not only for myself but also from the mixing board. My accordion player runs into the PA board and out to the monitors. I use my own amp as a monitor for myself but would like to feed the accordion into my monitor. So, I'm plugged into my amp, the D.I. from my amp goes to the PA. I'd like to run the output PA monitor into my second input of my amp. Is that possible without frying my amp? Also, I thought that because I'm running my amp's signal out to the PA, if I plug the PA into my amp it'll create a feedback loop. If this isn't possible could anyone suggest how to configure this? Thank you

I'd be fine with running a D.I. to the PA between my guitar and amp to illuminate the feed back loop.

Seriously, that was as simple as I could word it!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Is it an acoustic guitar amp (possibly with XLR in) or an electric guitar amp? Principles cover both but outcomes might be significantly different.

When you say "DI out goes to PA" that suggests it's an acoustic but better check.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Is it an acoustic guitar amp (possibly with XLR in) or an electric guitar amp? Principles cover both but outcomes might be significantly different.

When you say "DI out goes to PA" that suggests it's an acoustic but better check.
Yeah, it's an acoustic amp. I'm looking at buying a new amp but the one I want only has a single D.I. out. Fishman has independent channel D.I. outs which would solve all my questions but I want option!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Option #1 :

Split your accordion signal between amp and PA. If you're using a mic on a stand or a built-in unit with XLR out then and ART pro split will give you transformer isolated separation (a good thing) and independent control.

Mute the channel you're not using.

Option #2

A small sub-mixer for your channels, aux to amp, L/R to main mixer with guitar/accordion panned hard L/R.

Option #3

The one you describe.

How're we doing?

[Edit] these suggestions are dependent on how much you rely on EQ to get an acceptable sound and the type of gigs you're playing. I have done sound tech at gigs where folks turn up with very creative solutions for small gigs that do not scale up without issues.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Option #1 :

Split your accordion signal between amp and PA. If you're using a mic on a stand or a built-in unit with XLR out then and ART pro split will give you transformer isolated separation (a good thing) and independent control.

Mute the channel you're not using.

Option #2

A small sub-mixer for your channels, aux to amp, L/R to main mixer with guitar/accordion panned hard L/R.

[Edit] these suggestions are dependent on how much you rely on EQ to get an acceptable sound and the type of gigs you're playing. I have done sound tech at gigs where folks turn up with very creative solutions for small gigs that do not scale up without issues.
Option #1 REPLY: I could split one or both instruments between the PA and amp but then my instrument wouldn't have any of the conditioning from my amp. It would but just a dry D.I. mix to the PA.

Option #2 REPLY: A sub mixer would still exclude my amps conditioning or eliminate the main boards mixing control for either instruments.

Option #3 seems fine but the D.I. is pre E.Q. so that would be the same as Option one's reply.

I've written this out a bunch and am considering it impossible. Seems so simple but without an amp with independent post E.Q. D.I.'s the guys at Laney headquarters might be right "you'll need to buy two amps!" Direct quote! haha
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ok, you didn't mention the amp as processor.

1) instruments to sub-mixer (ch1&2) - level and eq matching
2) pre-fade post- eq aux out to amp, faders down (or ch1&2 not routed to L/R)
3) line out or mic from amp to mixer (ch3) to main out L/R
4) at main mixer inputs, eq L for guitar, R for accordion, mute unused as appropriate.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

imo it's just a stupid idea, feeding an accordeon into a guitar combo! same for harp btw but taste can vary a lot...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
imo it's just a stupid idea, feeding an accordeon into a guitar combo! same for harp btw but taste can vary a lot...
Assuming you're talking about harmonica and not concert harp (which would be radical), for many people use of an amp is as fundamental a part of the sound as it would be for a Hendrix/Who/Clash tribute act.

Clean/dry is for laundry.

P.S. I am generally a Folkie in recent years but with a history of Punk which never really goes away.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Assuming you're talking about harmonica and not concert harp (which would be radical), for many people use of an amp is as fundamental a part of the sound as it would be for a Hendrix/Who/Clash tribute act.

Clean/dry is for laundry.

P.S. I am generally a Folkie in recent years but with a history of Punk which never really goes away.
one can get a harp freaking loud through a guitar stack but i can hardly relate to it in terms of 'sound'; same (if nor worse) for accordeon but certainly not worth trying for 'monitoring'!

i'm generally a classical guy with a history in fusion and prog rock which never really goes away!

what's punk?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
one can get a harp freaking loud through a guitar stack but i can hardly relate to it in terms of 'sound'; same (if nor worse) for accordeon but certainly not worth trying for 'monitoring'!
I generally agree but the OP clarified that the sound of the amp was important to the goal. Not my first choice but I work with people for whom it is and their money is as good as anybody else's.

Quote:
...what's punk?
If you can't remember you were probably there - no-one should ever see the photographs.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search