The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Coldplay Live mix so good it sounds fake?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
It was live. The broadcast was live and the playing was live.
Believe me. All lead vocal live.
I know it looks and sounds too perfect, but there you go

As far as I know the morning broadcast now on youtube is as it was live, 100%.
Obviously you were there and can give us firsthand info on how and what was done, I would really appreciate it.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Obviously you were there and can give us firsthand info on how and what was done, I would really appreciate it.
Obviously you weren’t there and have strong speculations so why not back those up by pointing specifically to the non live parts instead of wasting everyone elses time trying to get them to dig your way out of your hole for you?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle View Post
Obviously you weren’t there and have strong speculations so why not back those up by pointing specifically to the non live parts instead of wasting everyone elses time trying to get them to dig your way out of your hole for you?
The original post only shows the SUNSET performance that is ALREADY PROVEN to not be 100% live.

The proof I have already posted the at 11min the song "Old friend" has everyone wearing different outfits.

ANY decent sound engineer will know that a SINGLE SPACED pair of overhead mics CAN NOT pic up the background vocals of 20 singers in open air while NOT picking up background noise, hand clapping, and foot stomping.

The fact that all the many background singing was SUPER compressed and the absence of background noise like hand clapping and foot stomping, and the absurdity that that single spaced pair of overheads could produce such a background sound lends more than enough proof that the background was a backing track.

The background sounds NOTHING like the rest of the vocals and instruments, a total disconnect.

A spaced pair of mics like they have set up, with enough gain and with so much compression would pic up all the hand claps and foot stomps.

Did they use some crazy trick for crowd sounds? did they use some amazing magical trick to remove background noise, hand claps, foot stomps? Maybe, it would be good if the FoH for coldplay could chime in.
Attached Thumbnails
Coldplay Live mix so good it sounds fake?-screenshot-58-.jpg   Coldplay Live mix so good it sounds fake?-screenshot-59-.jpg   Coldplay Live mix so good it sounds fake?-screenshot-56-.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheLine View Post
ANY decent sound engineer will know that a SINGLE SPACED pair of overhead mics CAN NOT pic up the background vocals of 20 singers in open air while NOT picking up background noise, hand clapping, and foot stomping.
You're right, but in fact, any half decent sound person should be able to watch and listen to the video and identify the holes in it immediately. Apparently not everyone here is competent enough however and some are just here trying to pick a fight...don't feed the idiot trolls.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
You're right, but in fact, any half decent sound person should be able to watch and listen to the video and identify the holes in it immediately. Apparently not everyone here is competent enough however and some are just here trying to pick a fight...don't feed the idiot trolls.
Sam Clayton
Your opinions say a lot about your knowledge and experience.
Old 4 days ago
The backing vocal recording is blended in with the crowd there, DRUMS PIANO GUITAR BASS LEAD VOCALS are 100% live, Just like thread title says, so good it sounds fake. I understand why many cant comprehend this, I thought the same at first.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
I like that the lead singer for Coldplay knows they're the Nickelback of pop. He was quoted saying "We get confused a lot with Radiohead. Easy way to tell us apart is we're good looking, and Radiohead are good musicians..."
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Easy way to tell us apart is we're good looking, and Radiohead are good musicians..."
Another way to tell them apart is to compare this Coldplay thing to, say, Radiohead's live version of "Paranoid Android" on Austin City Limits. That's how it's done, kids.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Another way to tell them apart is to compare this Coldplay thing to, say, Radiohead's live version of "Paranoid Android" on Austin City Limits. That's how it's done, kids.
Sorry Brent, but how is that show and it's recording really any different from the Coldplay one in question minus the different venues and different mixing styles?

The ACL one has fake sounding compressed drums, reverbs etc and is made to sound MUCH like a studio session.

The only reason i keep coming back to this thread is because i mix a lot of live shows and i want to make sure i understand how you guys are perceiving this stuff.
So far it appears that there is a feeling of being deceived by the Coldplay video, even though the only deception is a lot of verb on the mix and an inserted section, that is still live, so what?

Or is it a hatred of all things pop??
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sorry Brent, but how is that show and it's recording really any different from the Coldplay one in question minus the different venues and different mixing styles?
No backing tracks, I'm pretty sure. Post production being what it is you can can never be 100% sure there's no backing tracks or added elements or fixes, but in this case they're at least doing a good job of fooling me.

For that matter, everything on ACL looks pretty live to me. Although it's hard to imagine Don Henley being on (which he was) and not fixing the daylights out of it.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
No backing tracks, I'm pretty sure. Post production being what it is you can can never be 100% sure there's no backing tracks or added elements or fixes, but in this case they're at least doing a good job of fooling me.

For that matter, everything on ACL looks pretty live to me. Although it's hard to imagine Don Henley being on (which he was) and not fixing the daylights out of it.
Okay, so what 'parts' aren't live on the Coldplay one? I still don't see it.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
It was live. The broadcast was live and the playing was live.
Believe me. All lead vocal live.
I know it looks and sounds too perfect, but there you go

As far as I know the morning broadcast now on youtube is as it was live, 100%.
Yup, looks like a typical contemporary global mega-artist high production values broadcast performance. Not all parts are live - the crowd singalong in Orphans being an obvious one, though later bits of crowd were.

I'm happy to admit to being quite the fan of them, and what they bring to big event performance, with huge amounts of energy & production. But, I've always been intrigued by Chris Martin's vocal sound across many live events - particularly when broadcast, so easier to analyse - very high mid & toppy, with next to no bottom end or body. The other thing is that his intonation is so often quite a way off the mark - yet his vocal remains hugely absorbing at the same time, possibly as it's such a novelty to hear imperfection these days.

Nothing unusual about using track in a show, at many levels. Some purists will object to this, but our game is all about entertainment, along with all the smoke and mirrors that can entail.

When does a gig stop being a gig? No idea, really, as we'll all have differing views. But I've seen a few that are a singer with just track - even at the 5,000 cap major venue headliner status. Yes, not as engaging as a full band, but obviously a compelling budget benefit. But, for me, the impact of a performance is whether it moves me - which could be completely idependent of the technical dexterity of the production.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Okay, so what 'parts' aren't live on the Coldplay one? I still don't see it.
The crowd in Orphans is the obvious one - it's clearly a studio production of a well rehearsed and capable set of singers.

But, as they're invited in around Chris Martin, live/spontaneous/un-produced takes over - you can hear their spill in his vocal mic particularly.

Do I care if there's other track used? No. I might be intrigued enough to look hard and pick apart the performance and see what I can attribute to live and wha to track. Not always easy, when "live" can encompass sampling, too.

But in the end, my acid test remains whether or not it moves me.

Take a look at Kanye West's Glastonbury headliner set from a few years back. 100k people, one man, track, 1000 par cans. Didn't move me at all. But was still rated and enjoyed by quite a few.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecSp View Post
The crowd in Orphans is the obvious one - it's clearly a studio production of a well rehearsed and capable set of singers.

But, as they're invited in around Chris Martin, live/spontaneous/un-produced takes over - you can hear their spill in his vocal mic particularly.

Do I care if there's other track used? No. I might be intrigued enough to look hard and pick apart the performance and see what I can attribute to live and wha to track. Not always easy, when "live" can encompass sampling, too.

But in the end, my acid test remains whether or not it moves me.

Take a look at Kanye West's Glastonbury headliner set from a few years back. 100k people, one man, track, 1000 par cans. Didn't move me at all. But was still rated and enjoyed by quite a few.
If you go to 10:08 you can see 4 BU singers around 2 mics. Also @ 4 mins roughly you can see 2 audience mics above the audience.
For all we know the part that is fake is the video, they could have easily OD'd the vid of that drone shot when the crowd rushes in on him.

Regardless, i still don't understand the extreme distaste and resentment for this video on this thread. I don't understand the feeling of being so duped from what is an honest representation of a performance.

Especially when this cleaning up live stuff thing has been standard practice since the 70s live albums.
Ever heard Benny and the Jets? Live and Dangerous Thin Lizzy etc.

And while I'm at it, how bout that Millie Vannilie thing???
Jesus i was shocked by that. Millions of folks diggin it like no tomorrow, then bang, these assholes cheated us and we no longer dig the sound of that music we loved 12 hours ago. Humans and truth, uugg.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

One of the main reason that it sounds so clean it's because first it's in an almost acoustical perfect situation, there is no wall anywhere near the microphones and secondly, there is no PA system, just a few wedges that won't hurt anybody! Everybody uses In-ears. I do a lot of music broadcast and that's a perfect situation. I am pretty sure there is a bunch of playback tracks and a band that's use to play together on top. Everything is there!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search