The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Aux Send Limiter setting for IEMS on Mackie DL1608
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Aux Send Limiter setting for IEMS on Mackie DL1608

I have searched the threads and haven't seen it, but looking to add 2 wired IEM's to our band for our two female singers. One also plays acoustic and doesn't have an acoustic amp, so it's hard for her to get a good mix on stage. I have 2 of the Rolls PM50's, which if you're not moving around the stage work great. But they have no limiting built in, and want to ensure that I have something on the aux channels to protect hearing.

This is different than putting compression on the monitor aux send (no no) but more of a final protection to ensure that loud blasts don't hurt their ears.

Let me know and thanks in advance.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So , what is your question?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

first of all, make sure that your gear is matched in the analog domain or else limiters may no do the trick - in fact, they might even accent an issue (further up in the signal path)!

then i doubt the mackie has true brickwall limiters but i'm sure with a high ratio, a pretty fast attack and a medium release time you can cover most any scenario, at the price of some fidelity though...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
To add to deedeeyeah; you don't need a limiter to protect hearing.
Just match the maximum output of the mixer to how loud you want to IEMs. Don't leave mountains of unused headroom in your mixer.
For example, do the opposite of what would happen if the PM50 was turned all the way up. Turn it all the way down and get the "volume" in the mix first.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search