The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Difference with kx12 and Kv2 ex12
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Difference with kx12 and Kv2 ex12

What is different with these two speakers supposed to be both Kv2
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2
Gear Addict
 

The EX12 is a production model, the KX12 isn't.

Google finds a single match against KV2 KX12 which is a 7 year old video review of a KX12. I suspect it was rebranded into the EX12 at some point, maybe with spec changes. Either way, no spec info available. If you're looking at a used purchase, you'll have to ask the seller if they have specs and then compare with those for the EX12. Or contact KV2 and ask them. [Edit] Having spotted that ebay listing, compare the specs with the EX12 specs - it's not rocket science.

Of course, all of this could have been found by a quick google...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
I use the KX12’s + KX1.2 and KX1.5 subs on a weekly basis at a venue and have used several products from the KV2 EX range. KX Audio changed its name to KV2 Audio several years ago but they still support the KX Audio range and have spec sheets etc.

The KX Audio products actually sound really good and better than any current active speaker I’ve tried around £700-800 per 12” top. Next to my Yamaha DXR15’s the KX12 have noticeably more clarity and separation. The subs are pretty impressive for their size. The 12” KX1.2 matched an EV ELX118p sub in regards of output and depth of bass.

However, the KX range are like KV2’s budget models. The EX range are in a different league to the KX regarding fidelity!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I use the KX12’s + KX1.2 and KX1.5 subs on a weekly basis at a venue and have used several products from the KV2 EX range. KX Audio changed its name to KV2 Audio several years ago but they still support the KX Audio range and have spec sheets etc.
Ah, now that's starting to ring bells from many yeasr ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
However, the KX range are like KV2’s budget models. The EX range are in a different league to the KX regarding fidelity!
Aren't the EX12s somewhere in the GBP 2-3k range?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
mojo filters's Avatar
 

UK prices for the EX12 are just over £3k. The EX10 is surprisingly cheaper at around £2.2k, while the EX2.2 sub is about £1.8k. My understanding is that dealers are pretty firm with pricing, but KV2 sales are a pretty low volume business even in the pro audio realm - so these things may vary.

I can't think of the model name now, but I'm sure they make a clever powered double 15" sub that straddles the EX and ES ranges. It's neat because it has an extra amp included, that allows you to drive the 8R version of the passive double 15" ES series sub (ES2.6 I think, as opposed to the 4R ES2.5.)

One certain thing is that they hold their value on the used market, and most models remain in the catalogue for many years (though there have been occasional minor or merely cosmetic changes, upgrades etc.)

The discontinued KX models are pretty rare now. They were a relatively short-lived budget line deliberately demarcated from the main KV2 brand, and though designed by George Krampera's team, they were not made in the KV2 factory in Czech Republic.

I'm not sure how they were sold abroad, but to the best of my recollection the KX powered speakers were exclusively (or primarily) sold through a chain of UK music shops, in line with their MI market position. Since then I think that chain had business problems, and while some stores closed others were absorbed by folks like GuitarGuitar.

There was never any name change from KV2 to or from KX. As I recall, KV2 was the first and only pro audio company George Krampera founded after he parted ways with RCF (back when they were associated with Mackie, pioneering powered boxes like the SRM450 and primarily known for building drivers.)

The name is simply derived from K for Krampera, and V2 as it was his second foray into the industry. As I recall the KX branded boxes had a different "KX" logo on the grille, with some reference to their KV2 design heritage in small print on the back.

I think the OP might struggle to find the right KX box on the used market, as aside from being pretty scarce - they were built like tanks and I doubt current owners are in any rush to move them on!

Whilst KV2 speakers may be suited to the OP's needs, I'd consider buying tops and subs as a system, rather than mixing brands.

One of the unusual characteristics of every KV2 system I've used is the unusually high fixed crossover frequency of circa 125Hz (though the bigger systems like VHD allow users to split the sub frequencies between different models.)

Whilst this high crossover frequency seems to go against the grain, compared with most modern approaches to system design - it always seems to work fine in practice to my ears, but I've only ever used/heard full KV2 systems.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Very in-depth info thanks. In a nutshell the ex is a better box?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Cucaio75's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo filters View Post
UK prices for the EX12 are just over £3k. The EX10 is surprisingly cheaper at around £2.2k, while the EX2.2 sub is about £1.8k.


The name is simply derived from K for Krampera, and V2 as it was his second foray into the industry.
V in the KV2 audio is for Marcelo Vercelli, the guy that initially founded KV2 Audio with Krampera.

EX2.2 is about 2.8k, not 1,8k.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Gulp
Old 3 weeks ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
mojo filters's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucaio75 View Post
V in the KV2 audio is for Marcelo Vercelli, the guy that initially founded KV2 Audio with Krampera.

EX2.2 is about 2.8k, not 1,8k.
i) that'll teach me to take trade show reps as authoritative sources! Did Vercelli come straight from RCF like George after all the old changes, or did he have a different path to this market?

ii) well spotted - pure typo, no excuse on my part. These days I'm an outsourcing partner, rather than a purchaser, investor or similar. In the greater scheme of things, from my perspective that extra grand makes little to no difference - I appreciate those in differing circumstances might disagree though.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
mojo filters's Avatar
 

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc1ugs View Post
Gulp
...at what?

You ask about pro products across various threads. The price is the price is the price - it generally reflects the overall acceptance and anticipated profitability of such products!

There's no cheap unicorn-esque solution hiding in the classifieds. To get the job done, you need the right tools. To make that work, you need a business plan with a realistic revenue stream.

Pro grade products might have a frightening price tag for the uninitiated, but if purchased judiciously and smartly - they have a return you'll never get in the MI market.

Instead of parsing minute differences between various products - identify your needs, your budget, and your business plan, then strategize and plan accordingly.

Rather than fixation on specific brands in hypothetical match ups, work out what you need and what options are available. Then look at logistical factors that will impact your business, such as convenient local support and so forth.

The wrong gear at the right price cannot escape an immutable negative destiny. If you need to try out gear, hire from the pros who've managed to negotiate the bumble-hex conundrum of making money in this business!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Cucaio75's Avatar
 

[QUOTE=mojo filters;14329936]i) that'll teach me to take trade show reps as authoritative sources! Did Vercelli come straight from RCF like George after all the old changes, or did he have a different path to this market?

ii) well spotted - pure typo, no excuse on my part. These days I'm an outsourcing partner, rather than a purchaser, investor or similar. In the greater scheme of things, from my perspective that extra grand makes little to no difference - I appreciate those in differing circumstances might disagree though.[/QUOTE


Yes, Vercelli come from Rcf like George.

Ex2.2 is a stunning sub, really worth every penny.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo filters View Post
...at what?

Rather than fixation on specific brands in hypothetical match ups, work out what you need and what options are available.
Thanks for reply, i would like powerful tops with clarity and two subs, some venues i only need the tops due to the size thats why the tops have to have thump and clarity, its all expensive so i need get it right.

Currently using dxr15’s and one washing machine, i mean sub, its a se technology 18 active i dont like it, doesn’t marry well.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc1ugs View Post
Thanks for reply, i would like powerful tops with clarity and two subs, some venues i only need the tops due to the size thats why the tops have to have thump and clarity, its all expensive so i need get it right.

Currently using dxr15’s and one washing machine, i mean sub, its a se technology 18 active i dont like it, doesn’t marry well.
I also have the DXR15’s because for some gigs I only need the tops as well. The DXR15’s offer the best compromise between sound, weight and price from any active 15” I’ve tried or heard. I’ve tried other products but for a really full range top they tend to be heavier and not a one person lift onto stands. Yamaha have updated the DXR15’s with the DXR15 mk2 but haven’t heard that.
If you’re looking for tops that can produce a very full range sound the RCF NX-45 may be an alternative (bigger compression driver, lower crossover and wood cabinet).

I use QSC KW181’s with my DXR15’s which works well. Ideally I would like some tops that can out perform the DXR15’s and weigh less and the only potential option I’ve found is the RCF 745amk4. However, those don’t have a crossover in them and I really don’t like the tacky appearance. I much prefer full grill designs for corporate work.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #14
Here for the gear
 

KX Audio series was a cheaper "affordable line" spin-off product series that famous brand KV2 Audio produced about 10 years ago, now since discontinued.
KX Audio is to KV2 Audio, roughly the same as Squire is to Fender, or the same as Epiphone is to Gibson.

Specifically regarding the active 2-way 12 inch models, the expensive KV2 EX12 (around £1950 each) was true bi-amped active with active crossover feeding dedicated 450 watt amp for woofer plus dedicated 50 watt amp for tweeter, whereas the cheaper (half-price around £949) KX Audio KX12 while still active, was one single 500 watt power amp feeding into a passive crossover, so not true bi-amped.

Also, the expensive model included the expensive A.I.C. Trans-Coil woofer from 18Sound, and the 3 inch coil tweeter, whereas the cheaper model only had a 2.5 inch coil tweeter and slightly cheaper components all round. Net result KV2 produces 130dBspl peak whereas KX can only manage 126dBspl peak. They're both 80x40 dispersion and rather heavy in weight (EX12 is 29kg! and KX12 is 27kg.)

Before spending a vast fortune on just a basic 2-way 12" inch cab (not that KV2 aren't reknowned quality, they are), but pound for pound, I would take a serious look at Yamaha's newest DZR12 or older DSR112 model, both of which offer FIR corrected linear phase response which neither KV2 or KX Audio can offer, and will match or exceed their SPL, and are several kg lighter weight (if you're carrying them often), and wider dispersion at 90x60.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Cucaio75's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by propianist View Post
KX Audio series was a cheaper "affordable line" spin-off product series that famous brand KV2 Audio produced about 10 years ago, now since discontinued.
KX Audio is to KV2 Audio, roughly the same as Squire is to Fender, or the same as Epiphone is to Gibson.

Specifically regarding the active 2-way 12 inch models, the expensive KV2 EX12 (around £1950 each) was true bi-amped active with active crossover feeding dedicated 450 watt amp for woofer plus dedicated 50 watt amp for tweeter, whereas the cheaper (half-price around £949) KX Audio KX12 while still active, was one single 500 watt power amp feeding into a passive crossover, so not true bi-amped.

Also, the expensive model included the expensive A.I.C. Trans-Coil woofer from 18Sound, and the 3 inch coil tweeter, whereas the cheaper model only had a 2.5 inch coil tweeter and slightly cheaper components all round. Net result KV2 produces 130dBspl peak whereas KX can only manage 126dBspl peak. They're both 80x40 dispersion and rather heavy in weight (EX12 is 29kg! and KX12 is 27kg.)

Before spending a vast fortune on just a basic 2-way 12" inch cab (not that KV2 aren't reknowned quality, they are), but pound for pound, I would take a serious look at Yamaha's newest DZR12 or older DSR112 model, both of which offer FIR corrected linear phase response which neither KV2 or KX Audio can offer, and will match or exceed their SPL, and are several kg lighter weight (if you're carrying them often), and wider dispersion at 90x60.
Please tell me where I can buy ex12 for 1950£ each.
?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
I’ve used both the zYamaha DZR12 and KV2 EX12 and personally I didn’t find the Yamaha to be in the same league as the KV2.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump