The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beam steering column speaker or no for this installation project?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Beam steering column speaker or no for this installation project?

I got a newly built cathedral in town. The old, smaller cathedral building is demolished and a new one will be built in its place. The project manager has done a survey on a singaporean cathedral using a beam steering Fohhn column array speaker and achieved good result. A proposal came to him and offering fixed beam column speaker. But asking for my opinion since i'm in town and quite reputable.

The newly built cathedral is built like a typical modern cathedral, but using gothic cathedral style architectural decoration. IT IS NOT SHAPED LIKE A CROSS as most old cathedral do. I suspect the ceiling will be using wood. It is between 15-20 meters in height. The bulding max length is between 30 to 45 meters.

1. Is fixed beam column array will be suffice for this? Does it have to be tilted to avoid directivity to reflective surface? I suspect so.

2. If we have to go for beam steerable column, do you have a recommendation on a good one with good price / performance ratio? My target is to have the whole sound system below $35k. Fohhn is waay too expensive (above 100k for the singapore cathedral).

Im going for the most little speaker count. And 1 detail i forgot mention that it has a balcony on the back.
Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hello. 0 replies here?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Maybe you should suggest they hire a competent system designer with specific experience and knowledge of these systems...nobody here has seen the space or the drawings of the space, nobody here knows what the specific design requirements are or have any idea of the budget etc.

A project of this nature must have the budget to hire the right person/company to do the job properly instead of relying on random internet experts.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Maybe you should suggest they hire a competent system designer with specific experience and knowledge of these systems...nobody here has seen the space or the drawings of the space, nobody here knows what the specific design requirements are or have any idea of the budget etc.

A project of this nature must have the budget to hire the right person/company to do the job properly instead of relying on random internet experts.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Sam actually, i am one of two or three system designer in my town. All have no experience for beam steering. The community is on budget. That's why we have to work on what we can, and asking for second opinion to a random experts on this forum wouldn't hurt.

Actually i will go for beam steering, supposedly if they would worked as advertised. I need a suggestion on which model is good but does not break the bank.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Do you even read my thread start Sam? I've tried to describe the building. It is not supercomplex shape, just ordinary cuboid space with prism shape ceiling. I thought thats a good start to give "suggestion", not solution.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I was thinking that an important project like this need professional expertise and results regarding the budget, and because there is a budget you/they might want to get it right the first time instead of wasting time and money if there are mistakes. Apart from "sounds good" there are also installation concerns and acoustics concerns that need/should be considered too, plus the basic info you give is so vague it does not allow for a good guess in my opinion.

The fact that nobody here has ventured an opinion in the past 24hrs should tell you something.

But yeah, what do I know...as you were.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i'm with sam: the 'information' given here is very vague/superficial so i'm reluctant to comment.

it doesn't even become clear whether column speakers are the right system choice at all - and for the budget previously mentioned, it should be possible to get architectural details which would allow to run different offline renderings from various manufacturers... - we then might comment on specific aspects.

good luck!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks deedee. I'll try to get some technical documents
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My recommendation is that you will require a column array with multiple beams in order to properly balance the energy from front to back. I recently did a similar room to the one you are describing and my solution was to use a pair of Renkus-Heinz IC16-RN column arrays with PN212-SUB-RN dual 12" subwoofers. This provides a reasonably full-range system for the anticipated program material and can handle the throw distance you describe depending on particulars, placement, number of beams utilized, angle of the beams set in the software, and appropriate output shading.

There is also the advantage that they are available in white at no additional cost which may or may not matter for the aesthetics of your project.

There are several other advantages related to cost and functionality of this design in that with a proper network switch and long range wireless router you eliminate the need for external power amplification, DSP processing, major equipment rack expense, etc.

For the system I described I utilized a Cisco SG350-10MP-K9 switch with an Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR-US long-range router.

To verify such a system will work for your project, download the free version of EASE Focus 3.x. It contains definition files for the Renkus-Heinz products and will allow you to quickly and easily model the room and set/adjust beams, quantity of beams desired, origination point of beams from the column, etc in order to verify coverage and your application.

For a room such as the one your describe there is really only one other option which is a point/source system with distributed delays. The cost, intelligibility factor, installation simplicity, aesthetic impact probably all point to the column array as the preferred solution depending on the architectural and program use details.

Cheers,
Brock

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search