The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
12" or 15"
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

12" or 15"

Hi guys and gals. Looking for advice from the old and wise. I know it's a given that a generic 12" speaker will be more suited to vocals. But being in a cover band it's not just about the vocals. The backing tracks, which consist mainly of BASS/KEYBOARDS/BACKINGVOCALS are supplemented by live ELECTRONIC DRUMS live GUITAR and finally live LEAD VOCALS from male AND female at different times, except when they duet. The music is 80's pop/dance and EVERYTHING goes into the desk. The drummer uses REAL hi-hats and cymbals which I then close mic. My PA choice is a bit up in the air. We will definitely use the QSC KS 212C for the bottom end just the one subwoofer. I own DXR15'S and these will start the ball rolling as the high end with the HPF active. But I am considering more powerful top end speakers to replace these. I can't go down the route of DSR because of the fixed HPF point of 120HZ the QSC does not match that, but the DZR has multiple choices of HPF So bearing in mind I'm putting the WHOLE SOUND SPECTRUM into the PA should I go with the 15" DZR or the voice friendly 12" DZR ?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Keep the tops you have and buy a pair of Yamaha 18" powered subs.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

oh if only it were that simple ! Transport issues means for power to size ratio, we have to go with the QSC KS212C for bottom end, and at some point we may be able to transport 2 of these, but only one at the moment. So largeer subwoofers are out of the question, much to my dislike. The question remains ?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

A 12" inch driver to a 1" exit horn/compression driver is the ideal choice.

If the 15" driver went to a 1.4" exit horn/compression driver or 2" horn /compression driver exit with a lower xover point then this would be fine.

A 15" driver to a 1" exit horn /compression driver with a higher xover point is not ideal.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

not too many good 2-way boxes with 15" woofers available imo...

i would also suggest going 1-12 and add a sub of choice; if powerful enough, a single sub does often better than two!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

The ability to evenly project a clear transparent delivery of the vocals and instrumentation deployed on stage with a portable system is always the goal: however it seldom ever meets expectations. My KV2 ES system has a 3 way top and as many as three 15inch bass bins on each side: Killer point source SR but ten 80lb. boxes, bucks and ancillary front end gear does not fit in most band vans. My three KV2 EX10 wedges are terrific small gig/venue SR for my solo acoustic act however a 10 inch two way design might not work well for a bottom heavy act that the OP is describing.
For many reasons I have been working with an rcf Evox 12 speaker system that have made a real believer out of me. The 15inch bass bins are crossed over @ 180 HZ and the eight 4 inch column drivers are well beyond the sonic quality I was expecting. The most impressive performance attribute is the clear sonic delivery to the back of a venue with out blowing away those folks in the front seats. Given the acoustic genre that I am working with I have been a near field point source believer for many years. The rcf Evox12 is the best portable rig with useable punch that I have ever used. Anyone considering this scale of SR needs to give it an audition: my bet is it will surprise you too.
Hugh
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search