The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IEM Limiter
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
IEM Limiter

I could not find a clear answer to my question anywhere so I created this new topic.

I use in-ear monitors and I want to protect my ears against unexpected loud noises. I see a lot about compressors, limmiters or compressors and limmiters but I wonder what I really need to protect my ears. A compressor, a limiter or the combination? What type and where can I find it? It must stop too loud signals as quickly as possible...

I use my in-ears in a live situation with my band. I have a small mixer next to me where I send a click track to. The click track then goes directly to my bodypack and then to my in-ears. A cable is also coming from the PA (FOH) to my mixer which contains the monitor mix. This goes in the same way via the mixer to my in-ears.

So.. I would like to put a limiter between my mixer and my bodypack (in-ears) so that I am sure that a signal that is louder than the selected volume is never sent to my ears.

Someone who has a lot of knowledge about this?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
In general, a limiter is probably what you're looking for, although if you have a compressor lying around, then a really high compression ratio will accomplish basically the same thing. What bodypack are you using? Some of them offer built-in limiting.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.vitellaro View Post
In general, a limiter is probably what you're looking for, although if you have a compressor lying around, then a really high compression ratio will accomplish basically the same thing. What bodypack are you using? Some of them offer built-in limiting.
The Behringer P1, but I don't trust the limiter that is in it. I want to be able to set the limiter myself.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

What is your budget?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
What is your budget?
€200 max.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram01 View Post
€200 max.
Unfortunately everything I can suggest will cost a lot more.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Unfortunately everything I can suggest will cost a lot more.
What is your opinion about the DBX 166XS or the Aphex 722 Dominator?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram01 View Post
What is your opinion about the DBX 166XS or the Aphex 722 Dominator?
Don’t know the DBX well and I’m not sure it’s fast enough to do a good job of protecting your hearing when things go sideways. Im pretty sure however that the Aphex 722 Dominator II will do the job, You need a very fast brick wall limiter for the best protection. The Dominator II being multi band allows very fine tuning of the response for even more overall protection...if setup properly.

The best box I’ve ever used for this is the Finalizer 96, In the end though, nothing is better than good judgement...always keep things sane and sensible.

Last edited by Samc; 3 days ago at 11:11 PM..
Old 16 hours ago
Lives for gear

trouble is that a limiter can actually accent issues (earlier on in the signal chain), no analog limiter is a true brickwall limiter (not all digital limiters either btw) so no limiter can 'guarantee' you'll be on the safe side all the time: a simple level mis-match can destroy all your efforts too but used in a proper way, limiters can add some safety.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search