The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice / Suggestions on PA systems
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Advice / Suggestions on PA systems

New user here - looking for advice / suggestions

**if this is in the wrong forum I apologise**

I am part of a Funk Function band that has been on the go for past 7-9 years. Basically the PA system we have needs updating as after many repairs it really isn’t fit for service anymore.

We generally play to crowds of 150-300 people but occasionally we get bigger gigs for 500-700 people in large rooms.

I don’t know much about PA systems / what to look for other than knowing certain brands.

We are looking to spend between £1000 and £2000 - not buying flashy stuff for the sake of it.

We were recommended https://m.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pro_...wer_bundle.htm

But we are looking to see what else is out there.

(We have a Desk console so it’s just the speakers!)
Any help would be utterly appreciated- thanks in advance.

Phil
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

That system can work for you in smaller locations.
But it won't even be close to what you need for 500-700 people.

With a €1/2000 budget, I'd probably get a system like this to do most of your gigs in smaller places.
And when you'll need a bigger system, you can rent it.

So before buying it, try to look for a local rental company who can work with you in those events and see how much it would cost.
And maybe they will also have some good used speakers to sell for your smaller events.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Some used QSC k12 and 181 or the RCF 732 over 708 might sneak in below budget and that would see you closer to 500 people. You're going to struggle to do 700 people on your budget though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Agreed with what was said above..
With that budget I don't know what can cover well a venue with 500+ ppl.

You need to save more, and invest in something that will be troublefree while performing well in the next 10+years.
Or if this is not generating a lot of gigs, rent the stuff you need.
Buying 1k style speakers will not solve your issues/cover your needs, plus you're NOT really saving money, because in 3 years from now you'll eventually realize what you need to do and you'll end up buying the suggested systems.. So buy once, but good and according to your real needs.

In the used market I'd start to look into a nexo PS10 system with subs. Even better would be a used KV2 EX or you can find one an ES system..both with subs.
Depending on the room size/ppl the EX might be able to do it, the ES will for sure cover every need probably be able to cover just about any of these situation without problems.

These are not "cheap" by definition, but are very good systems that are sold at a fair price, considering their quality and SPL provided. Even more so in the used market (Other systems are much more expensive..Think at the usual suspects..D&B, Martin, L'Acoustics, Meyer, Alcons, etc).

Cheu
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Many thanks guys,

Taking advice on board - The main purpose of the band is performing at weddings. We occasionally get bigger work for corporates and other venues where there is a huge room with big numbers - I guess it’s just playing to the dance floor for the bigger numbers anyway so not needed for anything crazy.

Numbers are realistically around 250 on average.

Thanks for responses tho - meant to reply ages ago but had trouble logging back in!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That is a pretty thin budget for the purpose stated .... but lets see what can be done.

First, there are two routes to take here. The first, is to get ONE SIDE of a system that is good (one top and one bottom). The second is to get both sides (2 tops and 1 or 2 subs) of lesser quality to stay under the 2K.

Personally .... I would rather get 1 top and one sub, then get another top later, then another sub later (likely in that order).

For the One Side done right option .....

Yamaha - DXS 18 XLF + Yamaha DSR112 or DZR12

RCF offers a good option with their ART 745a and SUB 708-AS II

For the two side option (cheaper speakers, but more of them)

.... well, if you are really dead set on getting 2 tops and 2 subs for 2K, let me know and I'll think up something
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingo84 View Post
Many thanks guys,

Taking advice on board - The main purpose of the band is performing at weddings. We occasionally get bigger work for corporates and other venues where there is a huge room with big numbers - I guess it’s just playing to the dance floor for the bigger numbers anyway so not needed for anything crazy.

Numbers are realistically around 250 on average.

Thanks for responses tho - meant to reply ages ago but had trouble logging back in!
Ok, I'd try to get a used Nexo PS10 with mono sub.. Could be found around the 3k+ mark..
If you can raise your budget a bit it will cover very well these needs..
so you'll be able to do most gigs, for years with a nice quality as well, and the investment difference even in the 5year span of 1k is +- 200$ per year.. it's a no brainer.

And for the "big" gigs, you could always rent something bigger that fits the situation and using the ps10 as fills or delay, depending on the situation..

That's what I'd do with my money in your position.
Yes it's a little bit more, but it will do years of honorable service, while performing really good.. It's also a rather compact and portable system, afterall..

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 1 week ago at 05:04 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

looks like a copy of hk ct112 x boxes... - if they are just re-branded, then the set will do fine!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingo84 View Post
We generally play to crowds of 150-300 people but occasionally we get bigger gigs for 500-700 people in large rooms.

I don’t know much about PA systems / what to look for other than knowing certain brands.

We are looking to spend between £1000 and £2000 - not buying flashy stuff for the sake of it.

We were recommended https://m.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pro_...wer_bundle.htm

But we are looking to see what else is out there.

(We have a Desk console so it’s just the speakers!)
Any help would be utterly appreciated- thanks in advance.
Rent the appropriate system for each gig until you figure out what is most suitable for your situation in general. A single system might not be the best overall solution, so buying a system for your regular gigs and renting additional gear for bigger gigs might be the solution for you.

It might work for a solo artist or a really small ensemble, I DO NOT agree with the one speaker solution for a band because of the placement/coverage issues that may arise in certain venues and situations... Plus, a single loudspeaker that can produce the punch needed for funk and coverage for 700 people will most likely be too big and heavy for you to carry around.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search