The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
X32 BLA Mod vs DL32 for Waves Live Rig
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

X32 BLA Mod vs DL32 for Waves Live Rig

Hello All,

I'm working on putting together my Waves Live rig, centered around an x32 as the interface. I've purchased a DL32 to upgrade the sound of the preamps, but then I noticed there's a Black Lion Audio mod available, which, if using preamps on a stagebox, wouldn't make a difference since it only upgrades components mostly involved with the physical inputs, and A/D & D/A converters on the console itself.

Does anybody have experience listening to a stock x32 with the DL32 stagebox vs. an x32 with the Black Lion Audio mod?

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I own a couple X32 models and a DL151 stage box. The improvements are not appreciable through the caliber of PA equipment that is typically driven with X32/M32 consoles. Getting better tone is more a matter of coloration, either with hardware or plug-ins. The Pultek EQ1 emulator in the X32/M32 series does actually do more good than harm in that department, just not the LF section. Try it on your main bus. You'll have to use two matrix channels in order to also keep a graphic EQ on the main mix.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I've heard decent things about the emulation on the desk, but hopefully I won't even need them with the waves integration.

Have you heard the BLA modded x32?

Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have not, nor do I have any expectation that they would be appreciably better than the Midas Pro series preamps, at least not in a live setting. I got the DL151 to be certain they're Pro series preamps, not in any way watered down, as I suspected the preamps in M32's and DL16's etc were. Turns out it doesn't really matter. Even the XR series preamps are fine. None of them are especially flavorful, that's just not their job. That's really the only way they'll sound distinctly better.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search