The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Venue installed SPL meter/display, options?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Venue installed SPL meter/display, options?

I'm working with a new venue, designing a sound system and advising them on acoustics.

One thing I'd like to add is an SPL meter that I can use to place a mic somewhere mid-room but have the display at the FOH position.

Does something like this exist? Ideally, this would be either just a rack mount LED meter or tablet sized RTA style display. Thinking I could either use a measurement mic hung from the ceiling or a PZM on a wall half way down the room.
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

^ Looks interesting! Can't find an English version of the site but I'll try contacting them.

Have you used this?

Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

"used it" would not be the whole truth - but looked at it and had to "behave"

In Germany, there s a law since a few years about max SPL/time in event venues. Its the same in Switzerland as far as I know. You have to provide measurements to the authorities if they ask you for it. There are quite a few measurement solutions like the NTI XL2, but most don't allow a remote screen.

I am sure the guys who do live-sound regularly can tell you more.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingloud View Post
"used it" would not be the whole truth - but looked at it and had to "behave"

In Germany, there s a law since a few years about max SPL/time in event venues. Its the same in Switzerland as far as I know. You have to provide measurements to the authorities if they ask you for it. There are quite a few measurement solutions like the NTI XL2, but most don't allow a remote screen.

I am sure the guys who do live-sound regularly can tell you more.
...no remote screen afaik but works fine with a 'remote mic': in a venue in which i get to work regularly, the measurement mic 'lives' on a rig a few meters in front of the pa and the cable from the measurement mic goes from the rig to the stage and gets patched to foh and into a nti xl2; mic displacement can be calculated in/offset.

the venue has a capacity of 1350 people and is given a max spl of 97dBA leq/h. recordings need to be stored for one year.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Like most EU countries, these are installed in all cultural venues that are publicly owned or sponsored in France, not only is there a record of the SPL tracking but these system will also cut the electricity to the stage effectively shutting down the backline, PA and lights if the SPL goes above the threshold for a given period of time. If the system is triggered on three separate occasions in one night the electricity to the stage will be cut for several hours.

All the systems in France have a visual monitor to indicate the real-time state of the system, and the measurement microphone is placed in front of one stack/hang in line with the first row of the audience. The systems can be monitored remotely by the authorities and Tampering with it sends a message/alarm directly to them.

Private venues and big open air events are not required to have these systems.

This is the most popular system I see in European venues: https://www.10eazy.com

These photos were taken yesterday:
Attached Thumbnails
Venue installed SPL meter/display, options?-116f4df8-3d15-4790-9693-c7e689a29e90.jpg   Venue installed SPL meter/display, options?-f035e9f2-a390-4d6c-b6ba-3c67e24f06fe.jpg  

Last edited by Samc; 4 weeks ago at 02:33 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This is awesome info, thanks! I wish they had these monitored systems in NA. Drives me crazy to see a good band on a good system but the FOH is running it so loud that my ear drums are distorting! Ruins the experience and the ears.

Thanks for these recommendations!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search