The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reverb routing on Behringer XR18
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Reverb routing on Behringer XR18

Hi everyone,

I have my Xr18 set up as follows: all channels are sent to a Hall reverb on FX 2 with faders at unity, the amount of reverb wanted on all the channels is selected on the main bus (just to give the impression of playing in a real space while using iems), and the single channel reverb amounts are directly correlated to the position of the faders (lower volume sounds obviously will have a lower volume reverb), as it would be in a real environment.

My aux buses are post fader (I like having a clear image of what is going on in the main mix and change my iem mix from there) and have the FX 2 fader on the other buses at unity too, so the reverb level is the same as the master bus; and it is, but the problem is that the dry-wet ratio on the aux buses is only maintained when the channel faders are at unity. If, for example, I lower the volume of channel 3 on Bus 6 to -infinite, the amount of reverb stays the same and I only get to hear the wet signal.

I have tried using the reverb as an insert instead going to Main, but this way I get no reverb at all in my aux buses since all processing in the Main doesn't get translated to the other buses.

I would gladly accept some help since I've completely hit a brick wall.

Thank you very much and have a nice day
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

To accomplish what you're interested in, I think you'd have to either have the reverb be an insert effect on each of the input channels, or else apply it as an insert effect to each of the monitor sends and the main.. You'd probably run out of effects slots unless you're a one-man band (and possibly even then).

There's no way to send two different mixes simultaneously to one effect, any more than you can do that in real life, and that's what you're basically trying to accomplish.

For what it's worth, the most common approach to monitoring is to use prefader sends for the monitors, rather than postfader, as it's often useful to be able to alter the monitor mix without altering the house mix and vice-versa. I suppose to some extent that presupposes you have someone who's mixing the house sound and is not hearing stuff via the monitors, which is pretty much always to be preferred to attempting to suss out the house sound from where you of necessity are hearing a completely different mix.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks, I had never thought about it that way. Sending more mixes to the same reverb does indeed sound impossible. Even though, if you consider the single channels on the aux buses as "live snapshots" of what is going on on the Main bus, it should theoretically be possible (but now I'm going out of track, if it doesn't work this way there must be a reason).

By the way, I understand that having the Aux pre fader is how it's usually done, but in my current situation I am only using the monitor mixes for practice, so I have nothing going out of the Main. And since I've already tried giving my bandmates (with zero knowledge about mixing whatsoever) the possibility to build their mix from scratch and it didn't work out, I've decided to use the main to build a basic mix to which they can add a little "more me" (or "less me" in the case of the drummer eheheheh), so that we can learn how to play balanced on our own. Hope it makes sense.

Anyway, back on topic, I guess I can live with it as I had never noticed it before. After all, as long as the faders on the aux buses stay near unity the difference should be negligible.

Thanks again for helping

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search