The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Entry Wireless Microphone Comparison
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Entry Wireless Microphone Comparison

I would love for someone to explain some things in layman's terms. Assume I'm a good live sound engineer with everything wired. Assume I know very little about wireless.

I need to set up a rig of 4 wireless mic channels. 2 lapel, 2 handheld. Mostly for wedding ceremonies (so nerdy "high quality" not needed), and occasional use for conferences as emcee/speaker mics, sometimes vocal performance. I do not anticipate ever needing more than 8 wireless channels in my wildest dreams in the future. (I'll probably never use more than the 4.)

I'm not really brand-loyal or tied to any particular brand, so specifics are just for comparison. Here's my questions:

Why is Shure SLX 50% more than BLX? I get it should be a little more. But IR Sync is worth $200 per channel? I don't need the "more available channels" that SLX supposedly offers. But I'm reading that the "quality" of RF "compounding" is better? ...then on top of all that I keep reading that Shure's lower end mic's are ALL overpriced for what they offer-- ok, compared to what?

To some degree that question applies to other brand's mic's I've seen-- they've got two models that don't seem that different to me, and one is not only slightly more, but WAY (50% or more) more expensive. Why?

It looks like BLX is priced low enough. Why do people say they're not worth what you pay for them? What's the alternative?

Lastly-- it looks like the Sennheiser EW 100, Shure SLX, and new EV RE3 (getting excellent reviews) are priced equivalently ($599 with basic cardioid dynamic handheld mic/transmitter). SLX plastic transmitter looks like garbage compared to the other two, right? Way better to have the metal housing on the mic's that the e835 and ND76 offer?

In short. Help an RF Noob understand what's good here. Is the ROI worth it to go up from BLX? Or if I want better bang for buck than even BLX offers, tell me why and what.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
I think you have some good questions, and hope you get some answers (so I can learn something too).
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
The BLX is dirt cheap. I've used them at one of the smaller venues I work at and they are really quite nice. But it's not exactly a challenging space; just a little bar with a tiny performance area in the back room. The TX and RX are only about 20 feet from each other, and we're only using two channels: one with a SM58 capsule and one with a Beta 58.

The SLX is more in line with what I would its main competitor, another classic entry-level RF choice: the Sennheiser evolution wireless series. Both are really solid choices. I am not familiar with the EV wireless lineup.

I would recommend stepping up to the SLX if you think the following is important:
  • Interchangeable capsules
  • Ability to tune to specific frequencies outside of prespecified groups
  • IR sync
  • External antennas
  • Marginally better sound

I've used both the BLX and the SLX. I think the SLX is worth the money if you are working in more challenging RF environments or are doing gigs around town. It also gives you room to grow with more components (external antennas, more channels, etc.). But since you don't think you'll need much more in the future, the BLX is probably fine. I also really like the Sennheiser evolution stuff.

If you really want amazing performance, I highly recommend stepping up to the digital units, like the QLXD. But analogue RF is really good and has been for awhile.

Stay away from the 2.4 GHz stuff.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Conversely, I'd love to learn from the RF experts what makes units at the other end of the spectrum like Sennheiser 9000 worth such ungodly sums.
---

With the low-end stuff, you can hear the compander struggling with moderately high spl transients, ime.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Decision Made--but still glad to learn so keep chiming in!

Well, I've made my purchase and they're on their way. The sales this time of year are beautiful.

I'm getting a set of the new EV RE3's. The RE2's had great reviews, and the RE3's are looking great so far, even though they're relatively new to the market.

Main reasons: 1) Metal transmitters. They're going to look and feel more professional to my clients (even if that made no real difference, impressing clients is a must). But I think that makes them more sturdy. 2) They come with 1/2 wave antennas. This should prevent me from needing to spend $700ish on paddles and cables, as my receivers are usually very close to the transmitters (I use on-stage digital mixers, Mackie DL32R and Behringer XAir16). 3) Insurance/Plausible Deniability -- stuff happens sometimes. But having better and more precise (frequency-wise) equipment I think makes it easier to stay out of trouble, and if stuff does go awry during a gig, at least I can say that my gear is not entry-level.

Getting up to speed on wireless is still new to me so keep coming with all of the nerd-level info and thoughts on this entry/mid-level wireless mic stuff.

I'll be running these through a distributor soon (haven't found the right sale yet). If I have any reception problems I can just buy some BNC cables and remote mount the 1/2 wave antennas before jumping to a directional antenna.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search