The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
QLXD or EW G4
Old 23rd October 2019
Here for the gear

QLXD or EW G4

Hello, I have been using an ew100g3 with an e865 capsule for the past 5 years. I now want to change the wireless system to switch to a frequency range under 600mhz, since I'm having problems with 700/800mhz here.
I was either considering of buying a QLXD or sticking with EW series (g4 this time even if the sound quality is identical to g3). I would like to switch to the new dpa 2028 capsule and i have to choose what system to use. Is the QLXD sound quality significantly better then EW series'? Does the improvement in sound quality of the qlxd justify the extra ~500 more euros over ew100?
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear
I don't like the Sennheiser. Not for the sound, but for reliability. Too often Sennheiser has problems with wireless reception that not only leads to dropoits, but sometimes to bursts of noise.

Never have those problems with Shure wireless systems.

Furthermore, with Shure QLXD quite often I get away with using the included omnidirectional antenna, whereas I need a separate paddle antenna in the same situation with Sennheiser.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I haven't used the g4, but I have used the g2 and g3 and the QLXD.

I first recommend relocatable antennas that can be placed in a good location, as well as antenna distribution systems if necessary.

If you have the budget, I highly recommend the QLXD for the same reasons as tenderboy. No more problems with RF hits and bursts of noise. If it loses signal or receives interference, the QLXD just mutes for a moment. Very pleasant compared to the analog Sennheiser EW stuff.

In terms of sound quality, I would say the QLXD does slightly edge out the EW. Perhaps more so if you use a nice capsule like the DPA. But it's close either way. The QLXD wins in more challenging environments, but in ideal situations, they're both quite capable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search