The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JBL EON 1 portable system, or continue with powered speakers?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
JBL EON 1 portable system, or continue with powered speakers?

Hey all,

My wife and I are full time touring musicians...I play acoustic guitar and sing, she plays a floor tom (as a kick) and a snare. So we need a little thump at our gigs.

We currently have a small Midas mixer, and run 2 JBL EON 610 speakers that we use for both monitoring and mains...we just have to set them up in a way we can hear and so can the audience...not ideal. We've used this setup for a year now, and while it works and gets us by...it doesn't provide the thump and coverage we need at our gigs. We do a lot of breweries, coffee houses, outside patios, etc. Not huge gigs, but not always small either.

We need something that is going to put out more low end for some nice thump, and is easy to haul around.

Since I already have the 2 610's...I'm looking at these two options:

1. Another 610 and then the 618 powered 15" sub.
2. The EON Portable One system for mains...keeping the 610's to supplement and for monitors.

Obviously the pros of another 610 and the 618 is lots more power, probably a lot louder and deeper. The biggest cons are it's a bit more pricey, and requires more setup and hauling around/space in our van.

The pros of the EON ONE system are portability, and I believe it is suppose to cover a wide area and sound good throughout the entire room. But I'm worried it won't be enough power or sound good when we play bigger outside areas, or large breweries where we need it to get louder and put out some nice thump.

Anyone have experience with the EON ONE system in a similar setting? Does it put out enough low end for some nice thump for an acoustic duo? Or should I just stick with speakers and know that it will sound full and nice, forgetting about the convenience and possibly more control of the portable system???
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

What mixer do you have>? whats the model number
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheLine View Post
What mixer do you have>? whats the model number
I believe it is the Midas DM12 or something like that...can’t remember exact number but that sounds right
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB_12 View Post
I believe it is the Midas DM12 or something like that...can’t remember exact number but that sounds right
Well, say you start by adding a sub to the tops you have now. You mixer doesn't have HPF, so you will have to use the low EQ section to somewhat control how much vocal and guitar get sent to the subwoofer.

You can start by

dropping the low EQ on your guitar and vocal by 6db or so while bumping up the low EQ on kick 6 db.

If you can get the sound you want then great. If you are using a guitar pedal that has HPF that's also great.

the 610 list max SPL as 124 DB

the eon One list

Max SPL as 118 DB

You can also try and find a Eon ONE on the used market and test it out for your application.

As you said, it's a trade off of more power for larger gigs/fuller sound vs easier set up for small gigs, that's something you will have to decide what is the most important. If a couple Eon 1's and one 610 to monitor works perfect for you then there really isn't a reason to keep adding weight/power/stuff into the set up.

I would recommend taking your wife and gear and go play on the eon 1 system to see if you like the sound/thump.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Are you sure that you generate any frequencies down in the sub range to amplify in the first place?
Do you have a way to check what frequencies you generate?

I'm a one man band and I was toying with the idea of getting a sub for my foot tap yet when I did some recording using my Behringer X18 mixer as the interface and then assessed the frequencies I was generating on the eq screen I noticed that I wasn't generating anything under 150 Hz anyway. Then I checked the specs on some subs and they were all pretty much spec'd lower than this.
A sub would be a complete waste for me unless I deliberately changed my foot stomper to one that generated very low frequencies.

Is the floor tom really generating sufficiently low frequencies because nothing else is.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I remember not being impressed at all when listening to the JBL EON 1.
To get a good product in that category of column speakers, you might need to spend more than € 1000. Products like Turbosound IP2000, Electro Voice Evolve 50, RCF Evox 8 / 12, are already products you can work with.
Under that budget, I would buy a "traditional" point source.

Going from no sub to an 18" is big step. I'd try to keep it lighter, renting a 12" sub and see how it goes and then perhaps buying it.
You could save up to 20kg and at the end of the night you'll feel the difference.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Are you sure that you generate any frequencies down in the sub range to amplify in the first place?
Do you have a way to check what frequencies you generate?

I'm a one man band and I was toying with the idea of getting a sub for my foot tap yet when I did some recording using my Behringer X18 mixer as the interface and then assessed the frequencies I was generating on the eq screen I noticed that I wasn't generating anything under 150 Hz anyway. Then I checked the specs on some subs and they were all pretty much spec'd lower than this.
A sub would be a complete waste for me unless I deliberately changed my foot stomper to one that generated very low frequencies.

Is the floor tom really generating sufficiently low frequencies because nothing else is.
Download an RTA sound app on your phone and see what frequencies your kick drum is putting out.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You have a floor tom as a kick. This is the only instrument you have that will go somewhat below 100hz.
Lets make this simple.
Purchase an Eon powered 18" or 15" subwoofer.
Your good.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search