The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundcraft Si3 console.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Soundcraft Si3 console.

I saw and used this console for the first time this past weekend...it is hands-down the most convoluted and ass-backwards console I have ever used. No wonder it was quickly discontinued...it actually sounded okay, but everything else about it was just unbelievably bad, it was beyond tedious to operate with the 3" monochrome screen, and info that didn't match what you were hearing etc.

Anybody else here ever used it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Yeah, just the once.
In Kuwait no less...
Didn't really mind it, but I had a lot of time for that one gig. Can't remember liking it either...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Can't be much worse than the soundcraft expression (and compact and impact)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Clunky yes. Great workflow though. Fast and intuitive. I liked it because I didn’t need the screen - eyes on stAge.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This was like having to driving a bus or a first generation tank from the turn of the century on the modern autobahn after you've been driving a modern super car...you need all those tiny screens to know where you are. Is the console in EQ, or gain mode, and if it's in EQ mode where is the gain knob for the low-mid section, etc...and if you're in EQ mode, are you in EQ mode for the inputs, outputs, bus, etc....

Select the input, then select the process, turn on the process...clunky as heck all right especially when compared to any Yamaha console of any vintage, or any analog console. I couldn't just walk up to the desk and learn to work around it in minutes, even Digico consoles are more intuitive in my opinion, and that's saying a lot. I'm sure some of the complications were directly related to how the console was setup by the (very drunk) babysitter who knew the console like the back of his hand, and I suppose with enough training and working experience anybody could become proficient, but on a walk-in or festival gig...no way.

Something tells me that a lot of people did't think it was so great either because they (Soundcraft) dropped it like a hot potato in a hurry.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
This was like having to driving a bus or a first generation tank from the turn of the century on the modern autobahn after you've been driving a modern super car...you need all those tiny screens to know where you are. Is the console in EQ, or gain mode, and if it's in EQ mode where is the gain knob for the low-mid section, etc...and if you're in EQ mode, are you in EQ mode for the inputs, outputs, bus, etc....

Select the input, then select the process, turn on the process...clunky as heck all right especially when compared to any Yamaha console of any vintage, or any analog console. I couldn't just walk up to the desk and learn to work around it in minutes, even Digico consoles are more intuitive in my opinion, and that's saying a lot. I'm sure some of the complications were directly related to how the console was setup by the (very drunk) babysitter who knew the console like the back of his hand, and I suppose with enough training and working experience anybody could become proficient, but on a walk-in or festival gig...no way.

Something tells me that a lot of people did't think it was so great either because they (Soundcraft) dropped it like a hot potato in a hurry.
the old si fell somewhere between the old soundcraft digital desks (don't even remember their names: they had a horizontal 'channel strip'), the studer-driven vi desks and the new si expression/performer desks; besides their limited options and awkward surface/workflow, they were heavily overprized imo... - absolutely no love for si2/3 here either; even the old innovason desks let the user get up to speed more easily (but had some other quirks)!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
What bugs me most with the expression and perfomers is the haptics of the potis. There is no connection between how much I turn a poti and on what value I will land.
For example for the phones to turn from mute to all the way up I need more then 3 turns on the poti.
Plus, for the little screen there is, its not really useful. Most of the time half of the screen does not show anything, yet for reading which channel you selected you have to go into the input menu.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderboy View Post
What bugs me most with the expression and perfomers (...) for reading which channel you selected you have to go into the input menu.
off topic (as we're talking pre-expression/performer desks here if i got it right?) but not true for the performer desks which got a small lcd display/digital scribble strip.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
the old si fell somewhere between the old soundcraft digital desks (don't even remember their names: they had a horizontal 'channel strip'), the studer-driven vi desks and the new si expression/performer desks; besides their limited options and awkward surface/workflow, they were heavily overprized imo... - absolutely no love for si2/3 here either; even the old innovason desks let the user get up to speed more easily (but had some other quirks)!
I'm pretty sure they were very expensive when they were released...big and heavy too.

The asking price for the few I see for sale is more than what is being asked for the Yamaha PM5d.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
I'm pretty sure they were very expensive when they were released...big and heavy too.

The asking price for the few I see for sale is more than what is being asked for the Yamaha PM5d.
autsch! i'm willing to deal with big and heavy gear but then the performance needs to be good enough to justify the hassle - i still take a pm5d any day over many newer desks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
off topic (as we're talking pre-expression/performer desks here if i got it right?) but not true for the performer desks which got a small lcd display/digital scribble strip.
Not true for performer and impact regarding seeing which channel is selected, but still true regarding haptics.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderboy View Post
Not true for performer and impact regarding seeing which channel is selected, but still true regarding haptics.
looking for trouble again or don't you get their workflow? rtfm! anyway, NOT the topic this thread...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
looking for trouble again or don't you get their workflow? rtfm! anyway, NOT the topic this thread...
Why the need to get personal and aggressive?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Btw, you also brought up the expression /performer in your post.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Anyone who considers any digital console heavy has never done a show or tour with analog consoles.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixtech View Post
Anyone who considers any digital console heavy has never done a show or tour with analog consoles.
Big and heavy by modern standards....I’ve toured with the ATI Paragon II production console, Midas H3000 and XL4 consoles, Yamaha PM4000, Soundcraft series 5 among others with several racks of gear, and hundreds of pounds of copper cables and snakes, please don’t assume you know what I have and haven’t done...

Last edited by Samc; 4 weeks ago at 09:37 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Funny,wasn't talking to you...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Funny,wasn't talking to you...
Who were you talking to...?

I was the only person who said anything about the console's dimensions and weight, and you did use the (all inclusive) word "Anyone". Based on my understanding of the english language and the fact that I can't read your mind...especially over the internet, it was reasonable to assume your comment was specifically aimed at me.

In any case, your argument is neither relevant or factual.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

After a week that has past, you are still upset? Wow. What a way to spend time between shows....
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
After a week that has past, you are still upset? Wow. What a way to spend time between shows....
What are you on about...did you not notice when the last post was made? Irrelevant as usual.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

and you are still talking about it
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
and you are still talking about it
Four posts in the thread...none of them relevant or useful...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I haven't found a digital soundcraft board I like. I just put up with it when I'm hired to turn some knobs.

I just wish I could afford the Yamaha Rivage. That's the new pink knob. All the other digital boards I tried out so far are toys compared to it imho.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
I haven't found a digital soundcraft board I like. I just put up with it when I'm hired to turn some knobs.

I just wish I could afford the Yamaha Rivage. That's the new pink knob. All the other digital boards I tried out so far are toys compared to it imho.
I'm sure if you tried the Studer Vista, Stagetec or Lawo consoles you would be really happy with them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search