The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is using a DI box with a laptop necessary/preferred in a live setup?
Old 3rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b69c0aa View Post
TS outs...original apogee duet for example...I've came across a few others
The OP wrote in post 15 that the unit has balanced outputs.
Old 3rd October 2019
Here for the gear

We play a lot of function gigs and there's invariably someone who wants to plug their phone or whatever in so I bought one of these. There's almost certainly better DI boxes out there but it was £25 and I guarantee it sounds better than the DAC on your 5 year old iPhone with 128kbps mp3 file on it. Sums to mono, hardwired 3.5mm, perfect.
Old 4th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by User4114 View Post
We play a lot of function gigs and there's invariably someone who wants to plug their phone or whatever in so I bought one of these. There's almost certainly better DI boxes out there but it was £25 and I guarantee it sounds better than the DAC on your 5 year old iPhone with 128kbps mp3 file on it. Sums to mono, hardwired 3.5mm, perfect.
How does this bypass the DAC?
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
It does not.
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
It took me awhile to figure out, but I suspect User4114 was not meaning to suggest that it bypasses the DAC, but rather that any shortcomings in the audio quality of this DI box thingy are of little practical importance because the DAC and (especially) the typical low quality MP3 file have a greater impact on the sound fidelity or lack thereof.

At first I thought it was suggested that it bypassed the DAC, too, but of course that makes no sense and just plain isn't true.
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

A balanced line out will drive a mixer well.

An unbalanced -10 consumer output will likely drive a mixer, audibly, but weakly, and perhaps noisily.

I have a variety of audio interfaces here.Name brands. Any balanced line outs go direct to a board, when a board is called for.

I also have a Pioneer DJ desk, which is, in effect, a USB audio interface, when connected. THAT guy has RCA output jacks, and drives most of my mixers audibly, but weakly, and often noisily.

He gets a Radial ProDI 2 between RCA outs and mixer line ins. The RCA jacks get RCA female to 1/4" male couplers into the ProDI.

Potential problems solved, good to go.

If you have weak or noisy audiooutput from a brand name line output, a DI probably won't solve the problem.
Old 12th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxbooks View Post
Is it necessary to use a DI box between a laptop's soundcard and a mixer? Or is this only done when the laptop is positioned far away from the PA?

I'm aware that I would be able to answer this question if I knew more about why DIs are used in the first place and what function they serve, but I can't seem to get a definitive answer re: using laptops with them, and thought I'd ask that here.
Thanks.
bros. this is not the same as telling the world you don't know the answer to a question some stranger asked about an amazon product. be a little more chinese and less windbag. in your response please include some information about the function of a DI. i try now.

there are two reasons to use a DI.

1) every instrument on a stage gets plugged into an xlr connection. xlr is balanced, which means it can be fed 10 miles through a rats nest of wires at an AM radio station and it still sounds good on the other end - which is a mic input on the mixer. just because it goes into the mic input doesn't mean it has to be a microphone. mic inputs are way more sensitive than line inputs. (mic measured in mV, line level is approx 1V) which is why...

2) line level must be dropped to the mic level. that's what the DI functionally does. (and makes the connection balanced.)

to take this further, if you had OP's same line level source going into a line mixer, like a keyboard or dj mixer, or were otherwise determined to use the "line in" hole on whichever console - you would not need to use a DI. (but just as before, we hope that you are still running balanced and if you were not, then a DI would make it so but not the usual kind with XLR outs, it would need to be one of these specialty ones i hadn't heard of until i read this thread.)

to answer OP's question about whether a DI is required in his situation, being 1 meter away from the PA, no he would not need a DI because he'd be running those line level quarters balanced or not into the quarter inch holes on the little mixer they have setting up there.
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear
Surprise the Peavey USB-P didn't come up. Bulletproof, bypasses the sometimes iffy headphone out, and has a "merge mono" switch built in. If you use a laptop, for $50 hard to go wrong.
Old 14th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
It took me awhile to figure out, but I suspect User4114 was not meaning to suggest that it bypasses the DAC, but rather that any shortcomings in the audio quality of this DI box thingy are of little practical importance because the DAC and (especially) the typical low quality MP3 file have a greater impact on the sound fidelity or lack thereof.

At first I thought it was suggested that it bypassed the DAC, too, but of course that makes no sense and just plain isn't true.

Indeed sorry. Despite its low price the DI sounds sufficiently good that it is not the limiting factor in the signal chain that it's being used in.

Hey, only took me 9 months to make this correction.
Old 17th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Surprise the Peavey USB-P didn't come up. Bulletproof, bypasses the sometimes iffy headphone out, and has a "merge mono" switch built in. If you use a laptop, for $50 hard to go wrong.
They are on the great secrets of the Pro Audio world. Great sound and great price.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear