The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Live Electronic Music - Tips For The Setup?
Old 17th September 2019
Here for the gear

Live Electronic Music - Tips For The Setup?

Hello there!

me and my team, consisting of us 3 lads, each producing music for a long time, and played in several live bands, want to let our music happen in a live enviroment.

Plan is do work with samples, prerecorded sections (maybe sidchained basses e.g.) and analogue instruments like guitar, turntables, voice and stuff at the same time..

I am using a Windows Laptop, Scarlett interface, guitar, voice, MIDI-Keys
AKAI APC mini, AKAI MIDI-MIX for now.
Im producing mainly in Studio one, and have basic experience with Ableton Live.

Any suggestions for us? (equippment, tempo sync etc.)

Many thanks in advance!

Best,
Dave
Old 21st September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphe View Post
Hello there!

me and my team, consisting of us 3 lads, each producing music for a long time, and played in several live bands, want to let our music happen in a live enviroment.

Plan is do work with samples, prerecorded sections (maybe sidchained basses e.g.) and analogue instruments like guitar, turntables, voice and stuff at the same time..

I am using a Windows Laptop, Scarlett interface, guitar, voice, MIDI-Keys
AKAI APC mini, AKAI MIDI-MIX for now.
Im producing mainly in Studio one, and have basic experience with Ableton Live.

Any suggestions for us? (equippment, tempo sync etc.)

Many thanks in advance!

Best,
Dave

Ableton, keep the audio in loops. Use multiple NI Maschine (2). They have tap tempo, can be inserted as multiple plugins, you can use a midi sync box or multiple daws then link the daws with Steinberg link.

You could get 2 mobile stands. Get a rolling rack with a A&H mixwizard 4 16-2. You could have your akai trigger one shots on your partners daws while they trigger loops in Ableton. You could control the MixWizard and with the optional digital i/o card you could record out of the mixer to Studio One, pre or post fader. You could use Aux sends from the MW, send them in S1 then asign channels in S1 to return to the MW.

Under the MW rack interface, channel strip stuff. Limiter. Licorice dispenser.

Wish we were neighbors, I'd love to mix 3 instances of Ableton at unity with a licorice dispenser.
Old 28th September 2019
Here for the gear

I was coming here to do similar research, so this thread could be pretty useful.

I'm a solo act (not ruling out asking another to be a second pair of hands if I need) and really want to get out of the studio and make some noise.

Currently using an Alesis MIDI controller and Ableton Live, but looking to buy in a control surface and start triggering in Ableton so I can be as 'live' as possible.

I'd like to control a lighting setup as well, but for now we will just assume that's something separate, simple and manual as I have limited budget for now.

My question is about the prep of my tracks - should I be bouncing all my tracks to audio and then just racking and stacking in Session view, triggering with a control surface like Push 2 or an APC40?

Perhaps this is not the thread for it after all...

1812 Music.
Old 29th September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1812Music View Post

My question is about the prep of my tracks - should I be bouncing all my tracks to audio and then just racking and stacking in Session view, triggering with a control surface like Push 2 or an APC40?

If they are very CPU hungry plugins, then yes, render to audio
Old 29th September 2019
Lives for gear
Try what works for you in rehearsal.

Ableton live is a good way to start. Decide who will be Syncmaster and sync via midiclock (imho simplest way).

Keep it simple for live gigs!
Old 15th October 2020
Here for the gear

Late thanks for all the replies!
We now went for all Ableton building a "Master Project" with all we need in terms of Plug-Ins, Instruments etc. setup in a way that they turn on/off when activating different instruments on a same track, switching several channelstrips via midi mix controller, all linked via ableton link.
stay safe!
best,
delphe
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear