The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Intermittent Problem with Mackie Mixer
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Gear Head
 

Intermittent Problem with Mackie Mixer

I recently "inherited" a used Mackie Profx12 mixer. I was hoping it would replace my bargain-basement Behringer mixer, but in the middle of a live gig last weekend I discovered why I got it for free.

It has an intermittent problem in the left output bus - at random times the audio cuts out on one side, replaced with a very unpleasant scratchy distortion. It lasts about 5 seconds or so, then becomes clean again. This happened 3 or 4 times during the 3hour gig.

I cleaned all the connectors with DeOxit before using it, so I don't think it has do to with bad connections, unless they're inside the unit.

Any ideas what might be causing the problem? Something I might be able to fix myself?

Is such a unit worth spending money to repair? It seems a shame to just discard it.

Any thoughts welcome, thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
JayTee4303's Avatar
A very large online gear distributor told me to avoid that line of mixers, but the physical footprint fit the space available, the price was low, and this was to be used as a monitor mixer for a PA system in a studio's live room, not in the recording chain.

Right out of the box, the ProFX 22 had a weird tinny sound, only partially corrected by the onboard GEQ.

Also, buss 3 of 4 was inop, did not pass audio, but I didn't discover that till it was all wired up.

Channels cut in and out like yours do. Main faders off, then sweeping channel input trim often fixes this.

A company I work with has a ProFX... their buss 4 is inop, does not pass audio.

Finally, the USB conversion is a farce. Low bandwidth, plus a buzzing, honking hum, plus digital noise.

The unit I have functions as a monitor mixer... barely. I would not recommend this line of mixers, ever.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleknapp View Post
I recently "inherited" a used Mackie Profx12 mixer. I was hoping it would replace my bargain-basement Behringer mixer, but in the middle of a live gig last weekend I discovered why I got it for free.

It has an intermittent problem in the left output bus - at random times the audio cuts out on one side, replaced with a very unpleasant scratchy distortion. It lasts about 5 seconds or so, then becomes clean again. This happened 3 or 4 times during the 3hour gig.

I cleaned all the connectors with DeOxit before using it, so I don't think it has do to with bad connections, unless they're inside the unit.

Any ideas what might be causing the problem? Something I might be able to fix myself?

Is such a unit worth spending money to repair? It seems a shame to just discard it.

Any thoughts welcome, thanks!
The image I saw of a proFX12 had XLR main outputs on the back and also TRS duplicate main outputs on the top. Which outputs have you tried and which are having the issue?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

You mentioned that you cleaned the connectors. I'll just mention, in case you didn't clean them all, if there is an insert clean and exercise that connector too even if (especially if) you're not using it. The contacts in the normalizing jacks get oxidized when they aren't used regularly.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheLine View Post
The image I saw of a proFX12 had XLR main outputs on the back and also TRS duplicate main outputs on the top. Which outputs have you tried and which are having the issue?
I've only used the XLR outputs.

I opened the chassis, but couldn't see anything that my (admittedly untrained) eyes could recognize as a problem. Nothing looks burnt, no visible loose connections, no leaking or swollen capacitors.

I'll probably go back to my old Behringer for now. It looks and feels cheap (it WAS cheap) but has never given me any trouble. Eventually maybe I'll upgrade, but I guess this Mackie wasn't it.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronics guy View Post
You mentioned that you cleaned the connectors. I'll just mention, in case you didn't clean them all, if there is an insert clean and exercise that connector too even if (especially if) you're not using it. The contacts in the normalizing jacks get oxidized when they aren't used regularly.
Thanks. I sprayed DeOxit into EVERY jack, 1/4", xlr, and rca alike, and then worked a plug in and out of it several times. Is there anything more I should've done?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Gear Head
 

I'll probably just let it go. I got it for free after all. But what do you DO with old gear? It seems irresponsible to toss it in the landfill. Give it to Goodwill?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleknapp View Post
I'll probably just let it go. I got it for free after all. But what do you DO with old gear? It seems irresponsible to toss it in the landfill. Give it to Goodwill?
Many areas have electronic recycling available. Whether that actually gets responsibly recycled or not is another question, and maybe one you would not like the answer to if you poked around too much.

You could try to give it for free to some other unsuspecting soul who's interested like you were not too long ago.

You could do what I tend to end up doing and store it away in a closet or in a box in the basement. I don't know that it's a great long-term solution, however.

You possibly could sell it on eBay as not working/for parts only. You wouldn't get rich, but someone somewhere may be willing to at least pay shipping and a token amount for your effort in sending it.

I would not recommend donating it to Goodwill or similar organizations since it's not working (and not collectible).
Old 4 weeks ago
  #9
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleknapp View Post
Thanks. I sprayed DeOxit into EVERY jack, 1/4", xlr, and rca alike, and then worked a plug in and out of it several times. Is there anything more I should've done?
You should also plug in 1/4" cable into each jack, especially the main outputs on the top.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
JayTee4303's Avatar
On the plus side...

I have the tinny timbre negated.

The DOA buss 3 is still MIA, but no other problems have developed.

Intermittant channels are quickly rectified by exercising the trim pots, and so...

It's a POS, but its a known, mostly functional POS, and it does most of what I need it to do, in a non-critical role.

Throwing it away would require more attention than it deserves, and foisting it on someone dumb enough to want it seems cruel.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleknapp View Post
Thanks. I sprayed DeOxit into EVERY jack, 1/4", xlr, and rca alike, and then worked a plug in and out of it several times. Is there anything more I should've done?
No nothing more, that should have fixed it if it was just the contact in the jack.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump