The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
X32 + S32 with midi
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

X32 + S32 with midi

Hi!

Can i feed midi through s32 and x32? My plan is to get midicommands from laptop with Logic to lighting desk. Can the singal go from stage to foh like so: Audio interface -> midicable -> S32 -> cat -> X32 -> midicable -> lighting desk, or do i need a seperate midicable/send to foh?

So in a nutshell i want x32 to send same signal out what s32 is getting.

Thanks for help!
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear

The way you determine what can be MIDIed between Box A and Box B, no matter what they are, is to begin with each one's

MIDI Implementation Chart.

These are usually organized with groups for each type of MIDI message on the left. A section for Note messages, another for Continuous Controllers, etc.

Then each possibility, or a range of possibilities. Over to the right, beside each line, are two columns of checkboxes, with Xs or Os in them. One column says Transmit at the top, the other says Receive.

Most devices do NOT transmit OR receive ALL possible MIDI commands. They only send, or accept certain commands.

Many lower end light controllers don't even have MIDI output, which usually means you can't save your scenes or chases.

I trigger lights with a Chauvet Obey-70 via MIDI, but it only accepts note on messages 1-127. 120 scene bumps, 6 chase bumps, plus blackout, no fades, no "pile-on", and no saving banks of scenes either.

I find a laptop, with a Roland UM1 MIDI port handy, for re-mapping commands, and for other MIDI utilities, to let you see, check and, alter the datastream as needed.

Finally, be aware that many hardcore light guys aren't satisfied with MIDI's 127 step control protocol.

Many want even more than DMX's 256 You can use MSB and LSB approaches but not all light gear will let you.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search