The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Personal IEM setup for my band
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Personal IEM setup for my band

Hello there !

Please, feel free to move this topic if required.

Ok, this is a question about IEM. My band uses monitors we set ourselves, when we have to perform in public, we set the mikes level, the front sound and the monitors through a Midas MR18 (really reliable). But we've got an incoming stage where we'd like to continue to be responsible for our IEMs. I therefore thought about the following wiring for patching:

stage mics: ___ Y cable end 1 ===========> Mixer table for front sound
|_____________Y cable end 2 ===> MR18 ===> IEMs

..this implies the use of an insert-Y XLR cable per voice so that mic signal get split into two signals, one for the MR18 and one for the mixer table for front sound. It would also require preamps adjustment for both tables as signal will be a bit weaker due to split..

Will it work properly ? Any suggestion ?

Thanks a lot, guys
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Mic...ct_top?ie=UTF8
You really want to isolate, via transformers the split signal.

This is the most basic and least $$$ solution I would consider. You can start here or spend much more.

The direct out will have a much higher level then the transformed isolated output.

If you play many different venues you can use a patch panel to give FOH easy access

Any set up like this would be the minimum. Using Y splitter cables is asking for all kinds of trouble IMHO.

Maybe you can flip the sides around on this patch BAY (EDIT, it says it has reversible rack ears.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...anced-patchbay

If you needed to save money, you could not get a patch panel, and just clearly label each output on the rear of the Mic splitter. But if you did it this way I would make sure there is clear viability and access to rea of the mic splitter.
If you are doing more than 8 channels of splitting then a path bay makes the most sense.

If you are going to be doing many shows I would suggest a channel diagram with each mic/instrument listed per channel to speed up and make easier the FOHs job.

If it sounds good, you could take the lower level, transformer isolated feed for you IEM, and give the FOH the direct feed that should have a better level. This makes the most sense as you already know and have time to dial in your IEM gain and it will cause less issue for FOH having to change the gain structure just to accommodate your set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Personal IEM setup for my band-mr18_p0c8h_front_l.png  
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

I thank you @ DownTheLine for the complete response..

Okay, I leave the Y-cable solution aside as it seems to supply troubles along with the solution. Right.

We're currently running 10 voices at a time (K,S,OHR, OHL and choir for drums, G (sm57) and choir, B (DI) and choir and lead vocalist).
I'm getting the point of making XLR access easier for FOH through the use of a patchbay.. but as we're entirely on our own when it comes to feed the MR18 with mic signal we will just stay "as-is" and take responsability for this. But the thanks for this insight !

Regarding signal split, I would glance at Behringer you proposed.. properly labelled, it should do the trick if I take two of this reference. It seems that Phantom Power is accessible through direct output (for OH mics).

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search