The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Switching to Condenser, Need Advice
Old 4 weeks ago
  #211
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Another explanation I can see is that, with the preamp levels backed off, the singer could get closer to the mic without overloading the preamp. That would directly change the signal-to-noise ratio, too.
You’re on the right track and using some critical thinking Chris...although it was not spelled out like this, and there is a little more detail to the argument, if people bothered to read the explanations that were given carefully and without bias this would have been evident.

The live sound reference was a dead giveaway, but once the yahoos started to ‘suggest’ all kinds of foolishness in their gotcha game, almost everybody’s thinking went haywire. Every technical paper clearly states that gain and volume are similar but different concepts and some people were even arguing with that.

It’s telling that nobody was willing to, plug a mic into a preamp to see if they could reproduce what was said...and that in itself tells me a lot....especially since people are always available to argue and perpetuate all manner of foolishness. I rigorously test almost every claim that I hear or read, even when my knowledge and experience tells me it’s BS.

I might just add that very few people get here by accident, and nobody stays if they’re a know nothing idiot.

Last edited by Samc; 4 weeks ago at 02:19 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #212
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
You’re on the right track and using some critical thinking Chris...
oh, there's been plenty of that

Quote:
...although it was not spelled out like this,
Damn right it wasn't, or even alluded to

Quote:
...The live sound reference was a dead giveaway,
I didn't realise it was a mystery game. But let's examine this for a moment. Are you suggesting that a singer (not a sound tech) will set their distance from the mic in a dynamic live situation to suit the preamp? This sounds to me like more smoke.

When I set initial levels for vocal mics I tell the singer to get comfortable on the mic and give me something approaching their maximum level. If they are unusably far from the mic (for the environment/occasion) I might ask them to move in but the input gain is set to them, I've never met a singer (jazz, traditional, folk, rock, classical, country) who could or would match their performance to suit the preamp in this way to the extent that would be required to be relevant to this topic.

...and the rest is vitriolic nonsense:

Quote:
but once the yahoos started to ‘suggest’ all kinds of foolishness in their gotcha game, almost everybody’s thinking went haywire. Every technical paper clearly states that gain and volume are similar but different concepts and some people were even arguing with that.

It’s telling that nobody was willing to, plug a mic into a preamp to see if they could reproduce what was said...and that in itself tells me a lot....especially since people are always available to argue and perpetuate all manner of foolishness. I rigorously test almost every claim that I hear or read, even when my knowledge and experience tells me it’s BS.

I might just add that very few people get here by accident, and nobody stays if they’re a know nothing idiot.
I rest my case.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #213
Lives for gear
 
GreenNeedle's Avatar
 

Sam, all you do at this point is talk about how foolish others have been on this thread, every post. It’s not even passive aggressive.
Who is being confrontational here?
This is obviously just more deflection from answering the question.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #214
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Damn right it wasn't, or even alluded to
I would feel silly if I didn’t think of the simple solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Are you suggesting that a singer (not a sound tech) will set their distance from the mic in a dynamic live situation to suit the preamp? This sounds to me like more smoke.
You however come up with more ridiculous silliness to hide behind and create another point of derailment.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #215
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
I would feel silly if I didn’t think of the simple solution.
So you thought of it but you said something else?

Quote:
You however come up with more ridiculous silliness to hide behind and create another point of derailment.
Mmm, you might have to expand on that one. It seems pretty straightforward to me.

You seem (now) to be suggesting that in order to remove room sound from the mic'd signal in a gig situation you would turn down the input gain, creating greater headroom in the preamp and so encouraging the performer to get closer to the mic.

#1 you made no reference or even hint that this was your thinking earlier,

#2 I never have a problem getting anyone but the most inexperienced performers to hug up to the mic without encouragement. In this scenario there was no suggestion that this was the issue

On the odd occasion where someone does hold off the mic intentionally (and I may be tempted to ramp up the gain) it is because that is their preferred technique based on experience of their own voice/performance and their usual environment which is generally suited to that method and which they have assessed for themselves.

That is a rare situation.

Does that explain why I don't consider this to be a derailment? I'm happy to reword it.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #216
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
So you thought of it but you said something else?



Mmm, you might have to expand on that one. It seems pretty straightforward to me.

You seem (now) to be suggesting that in order to remove room sound from the mic'd signal in a gig situation you would turn down the input gain, creating greater headroom in the preamp and so encouraging the performer to get closer to the mic.

#1 you made no reference or even hint that this was your thinking earlier,

#2 I never have a problem getting anyone but the most inexperienced performers to hug up to the mic without encouragement. In this scenario there was no suggestion that this was the issue

On the odd occasion where someone does hold off the mic intentionally (and I may be tempted to ramp up the gain) it is because that is their preferred technique based on experience of their own voice/performance and their usual environment which is generally suited to that method and which they have assessed for themselves.

That is a rare situation.

Does that explain why I don't consider this to be a derailment? I'm happy to reword it.
Here is what I have found. I have never got lead singers to change any bad mic technique, and trying to get them to do things "Better" makes them self conscious and ruins the performance. So I do my best for mic selection/etc to accommodate their style.

Background vocals, sometimes for 2-8, that's a different story. I think they need to make the effort to maximize signal to mic bleed. If they can't "hear themselves" make sure there IEM or other monitoring system is set up only for pitch and a little timing.

I don't think SAM needed to explain EVERY little complexity that happens in mixing. IMO, background vox need to eat-the-mic, IEM's/monitors need to be set up right.

"Turning the gain down" is just the first step.

1. Turn the gain down.
2. Make sure IEM's and monitors are set up right

If someone "needs more gain" to be louder, turning the gain up is probably not the right choice.

Turning the gains up higher can cascade into a whole set of issues where things get worse.

Turning the gains lower forces one to optimize the whole set up.

Of course an optimized set up at higher gain levels is possible.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #217
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheLine View Post
I don't think SAM needed to explain EVERY little complexity that happens in mixing.
Yeah I suppose you're right. It's like Jazz, it's sometimes the notes you don't play that are the most meaningful.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #218
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
The very last time I took you seriously was when you tried to school the board on the differences between the Midas H3000 and the X32, and then it turns out you didn't even know what an H3000 was. You had never even seen one let alone used one, and here you are again with the same foolishness...you know some console designers who told you XY and Z, you do not have any firsthand, real world experience.
The last time I took you seriously was when you suggested a large $7000 digital mixer to a guy that rode the bus to his gigs. Care to go on with this silly line of discussion? And not to swerve too far from the conversation, but carrying a H3000 to a gig (yes, I had to look it up to see how many tons it weighs since as you correctly point out, I have never used one) is hardly reasonable for weekend warriors. Still, feel free to spout your nonsense.

The level set on a mic pre SHOULD have no effect on the sound quality of the mic plugged into it. It has effect ONLY on boards that were designed with non-linear preamps (either on purpose like MIDAS or on accident like nearly all older analog boards).

Someone asked if the impedance could potentially change by enough when you trim the gain. No. The op amp impedance of any decent chip will be very high (10M Ohm or more). The trim (and also the pad) resistance is so tiny in comparison that changes in this part of the circuit causes no measurable difference (as one would expect this circuit to be designed). The input impedance seen by the microphone is similarly not effected (again, as one would expect something like this would work).

I have the circuit diagram for my old MixWiz if you want I could go through the circuit in a PM and show how even an old analog mix input would not have any changes in input impedance when you change the trim pot or pad (The MixWiz had both).

Faders and preamp gain are NOT anything like the same and can't be used for the same purposes. The preamp is JUST to tailor the channel gain to the output of a specific input. That is IT. You should set the gain so that no clipping occurs on the channel. Using it for anything else is just wrong headed.

FWIW, in a digital mixer, the fader neither amplifies or attenuates the signal. It changes 1's and 0's to higher or lower values. The internal calculations are done now with numbers that are either impossible, or highly improbable to ever over-flow due to fader movement. The only real problem becomes getting too high of numbers going out the main output faders which can't be outputted by the digital to analog circuit .... which gives you output clipping.

But hey, don't believe me. Go out and see what experts that teach mixing technique say. There is plenty of information on this subject .... and NONE of it and NO ONE else but Sam will tell you that using the gain knob to effect sound quality (other than staying out of clip) is a good idea (or that it has any chance of working). Many of theses people have degrees in both engineering and acoustics ... but then again ..... none of them have mixed for the Stones .... so their information can't really be taken seriously

On the subject of mic technique, I agree that Sam moved the goal post when his obvious BS line of logic began to fall apart. I also strongly agree that in most instances, you aren't going to get the performer to get better mic technique by telling them to stay on the mic..... and as pointed out, it may even adversely effect their performance.

@ Samc ,

Well, you sure are in rare form in this thread. Let me know when you next cut the head off of a live chicken at a gig to improve sound quality. I need to be there to hear the difference myself.

Last edited by OneEng; 4 weeks ago at 05:09 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #219
Lives for gear
 

thx for your comment on impedance - other than this, i much rather trust sam's ears, experience and taste than the combined technical knowledge of several posters here!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #220
Lives for gear
 
GreenNeedle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
thx for your comment on impedance - other than this, i much rather trust sam's ears, experience and taste than the combined technical knowledge of several posters here!
This is why you will continue to not understand something as basic as a channel strip. That’s not gonna make you better at what you do.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #221
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
thx for your comment on impedance - other than this, i much rather trust sam's ears, experience and taste than the combined technical knowledge of several posters here!
Fair enough.

I would suggest that you consult other experts and people you trust as well then. I would hate to think you were out there tweaking the gain knob to help eq the channel and reduce background noise.

Additionally, I would like to say that I don't discount Sam's obvious experience and taste. He has many good tid-bits of advice which he freely gives out in this forum which are very valuable.

I simply don't believe that his wrong headed ideas should be advanced as gospel because he believes it to be true (and after all ... has mixed for the Stones). In some cases, his advice will result in people really being pointed into the wrong direction. This thread is certainly one of those situations.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #222
Lives for gear
Anyone else notice that really skinny mic cables narrow the pickup pattern on mics, red cables boost the highs, blue cables (the darker the better) bump the lows, and switching to gold connectors softens the sound of the mic?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #223
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
...i much rather trust sam's ears, experience and taste than the combined technical knowledge of several posters here!
That's some.seriously un-critical thinking.

I respect Sam's experience and knowledge and really appreciate the fact that he spends time and effort answering questions and sharing what he has learned. This is very valuable and in the future we will look back on the contribution of Sam and numerous others as a beneficial and constructive time (no BS).

I also think Sam is an arrogant and mean minded communicator who would rather cast aspersions on the character of a poster or the motivation behind a reasonable query than have his sacred pronouncements questioned.

There is no contradiction between those positions, they are two sides of the same coin.

I have no special claim on correctness in any sphere. While I've spent more time on music and music tech than any other aspect of my life I am human, not particularly clever and I am busy doing other things so I value greatly when talented music technicians and musicians share their time with me.

I am however impatient with bullies and bullsh****rs, maybe to a fault. I will work on it.

I expect to be challenged but on this forum I expect to be challenged intelligently. So should others (I think).

Clarity is good. Trust can be deceptive.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #224
Lives for gear
 
GreenNeedle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post

I also think Sam is an arrogant and mean minded communicator who would rather cast aspersions on the character of a poster or the motivation behind a reasonable query than have his sacred pronouncements questioned.
While we all have our flaws, i have to agree with this description about this man. He is regularly abusive, condescending and pig headed and, as has been proven clearly on this thread, fallible with his knowledge and understanding of some basic concepts.
This preamp this only one of them. A couple years ago back when he was only 28 years into his illustrious career, he didn’t know how a sidechain on a compressor functioned.
Not knowing how some things work is of course forgivable and human, but his ‘know all’ self proclaimed moderator nonsense hurts so much more than he helps around here and it makes a toxic place to discuss things constructively.
Personally i would like to see him banned so this could be a friendlier place to talk shop.
I encourage everyone who agrees with this to start reporting his abusive posts.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #225
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEng View Post
Fair enough.

I would suggest that you consult other experts and people you trust as well then. I would hate to think you were out there tweaking the gain knob to help eq the channel and reduce background noise.

Additionally, I would like to say that I don't discount Sam's obvious experience and taste. He has many good tid-bits of advice which he freely gives out in this forum which are very valuable.

I simply don't believe that his wrong headed ideas should be advanced as gospel because he believes it to be true (and after all ... has mixed for the Stones). In some cases, his advice will result in people really being pointed into the wrong direction. This thread is certainly one of those situations.
you too are making too many assumptions of what i'll take from a post and you also misinterpret words... - anyway, be assured i'll get through my gigs well! hope you do so too...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #226
Lives for gear
 
GreenNeedle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
you too are making too many assumptions of what i'll take from a post and you also misinterpret words... - anyway, be assured i'll get through my gigs well! hope you do so too...
There is no gray zone. You can’t run a clean transformerless, linear pre into so much distortion with a condenser mic before the pre clips that it changes the relative level of the low level sounds and the louder sounds the mic gives you. It’s not arguable, its fantasy.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #227
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle View Post
Personally i would like to see him banned so this could be a friendlier place to talk shop.
Any forum that would.comsider.banning Sam or anyone else for disagreeing ungraciously would have little to offer me, which would be irrelevant because they would have already banned most of the interesting people on here, and me.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #228
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Any forum that would.comsider.banning Sam or anyone else for disagreeing ungraciously would have little to offer me, which would be irrelevant because they would have already banned most of the interesting people on here, and me.
I agree.... and besides, I get a kick out of some of his crazier ideas .... and he is always up to the task of defending them ad nauseam once they have been pronounced in the Gospel of Sam

I was glad to see that at least a couple people stood up and said "Hey .... wait a minute.... what you said makes no sense at all". It was interesting as well to see how many people either directly defended the indefensible, or simply hid in the shadows without saying anything even though they knew this whole preamp thing was hogwash.

I guess mixing for the Stones gets you lots of leniency with regard to producing factual evidence.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #229
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
you too are making too many assumptions of what i'll take from a post and you also misinterpret words... - anyway, be assured i'll get through my gigs well! hope you do so too...
The thing is, I strongly suspect that nearly everyone on this board has pretty good chops on a board. The fact that we post on forums to answer peoples questions with our own hard earned mistakes as a backlog of knowledge shows that most of us do more of this than is likely healthy... and that we all care enough to help others out.

I am sure your gigs will progress quite well.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #230
Lives for gear
 
GreenNeedle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Any forum that would.comsider.banning Sam or anyone else for disagreeing ungraciously would have little to offer me, which would be irrelevant because they would have already banned most of the interesting people on here, and me.
I am fascinated by psychology in general and a good show is a good show, but this is kindergarden bully stuff he spews out. Nothing fascinating in it for me personally.
Now if he really is a puppet, someones experiment, the caricature he really should be, now then we are talking, that is just art right there. Sadly, i suspect he is real.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #231
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEng View Post
I agree.... and besides, I get a kick out of some of his crazier ideas .... and he is always up to the task of defending them ad nauseam once they have been pronounced in the Gospel of Sam
Give a list of those “crazier” ideas you talk about...direct quotes because the main reason some of you have your panties in a twist is because some of your post were shot down for the BS info included in them. Running around the forum telling people why they can’t or shouldn’t use condenser microphones, waxing poetic about gear you’ve never used, , giving out advise about processing you don’t really understand etc.

I DO NOT make up ****, guess my way around work processes or methods, and have always been a staunch advocate for posting factual information here which some of you seem to be bothered by. Fortunately, all of my posts are still available and we don’t have to rely on the prejudicial and inaccurate memory of some of you....telling someone that the info in their post about always placing the monitor directly behind the mic or that you shouldn’t use a super/hyper cardioid mic on a loud stage is incorrect info is suddenly translated into me abusing them. And those of you who clearly recognize the fallacy shut up ad say nothing. I call that hypocrisy.

I post under my REAL name, and I work all kinds of gig all over the place, so the chance of being recognized, or meeting someone from the forum is very high and have happened, so my work must backup the things I say. There is nowhere to hide, you either deliver or not.

Quote:
I was glad to see that at least a couple people stood up and said "Hey .... wait a minute.... what you said makes no sense at all". It was interesting as well to see how many people either directly defended the indefensible, or simply hid in the shadows without saying anything even though they knew this whole preamp thing was hogwash.
You shouldn’t always view things through the myopic vision of limited experience and knowledge.

Quote:
I guess mixing for the Stones gets you lots of leniency with regard to producing factual evidence.
You’ve mentioned the stones thing three or four times now which have no bearing on the matter, I actually don’t remember saying any such thing, and is just being used as some kind of dig...I guess this is must be how you so called nice guys operate. But it does give credence to my paranoia.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #232
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle View Post
Not knowing how some things work is of course forgivable and human, but his ‘know all’ self proclaimed moderator nonsense hurts so much more than he helps around here and it makes a toxic place to discuss things constructively.
Personally i would like to see him banned so this could be a friendlier place to talk shop.
I encourage everyone who agrees with this to start reporting his abusive posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle View Post
I am fascinated by psychology in general and a good show is a good show, but this is kindergarden bully stuff he spews out. Nothing fascinating in it for me personally.
Now if he really is a puppet, someones experiment, the caricature he really should be, now then we are talking, that is just art right there. Sadly, i suspect he is real.
You should know that I’m not here for your amusement and/or gratification, and as long as I’m here ALL your BS claims will be challenged, just like the last series of claims you made. You are of course free to challenge anything I say anytime, but you should do so in the same definitive manner I shut your fake claims down.

Trying to start a petition to have me banned is lame at best, and would suggest
You need to find a (new) hobby...or, alternatively you could just stop following me around constantly trying to pick fights, you don’t seem to have lost the appetite for that.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #233
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEng View Post
(...)I strongly suspect that nearly everyone on this board has pretty good chops on a board (...)
judging from many posts, i don't - and my experience (and my expectations) don't support this either!

luckily, there is an option to ignore folks; i have long not made any use if it but this thread in particular made me start using it again - i wish though there would be an option not to block but to flag posters as by ignoring some folks, i seem to miss some of the entertainment (while with others, i'm seriously concerned about their sanity, behaviour and sometimes agenda...)
Old 4 weeks ago
  #234
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I also think Sam is an arrogant and mean minded communicator who would rather cast aspersions on the character of a poster or the motivation behind a reasonable query than have his sacred pronouncements questioned.
Have you read some of the comments in many/most of your posts just in the thread alone...the stupid name calling and grade school sniping? Have you actually not read some of the comments and remarks that are constantly being made by some posters...guys who don’t even attempt to include any useful information in their posts?

I still maintain that you and greenneedle are here to pick a fight and derail the thread, you haven’t missed a single opportunity to squeeze in the obligatory insult into every post...your opening sentence in this post alone is telling.

I’ll call things the way I see them...something is whack it will be called whack and an appropriate explanation given, this makes it easy for people to point fingers, but I’m not dishonest, I don’t misrepresent what others have said, hide behind innuendo or blame them falsely for things I’m actually guilty of.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #235
Lives for gear
 

I worked on the main stages of three UK festivals this weekend....Shambala, Reading and Greenbelt...with two different bands. Three different consoles, lots of condenser microphones...vocals, drums, guitars, horns, Leslie cab...30 mins max changeover, I set ,the monitor mixes in all three cases and there was not one hint of feedback and all the live feeds used my mixes.

Deedeeyeah thanks for the mutual trust, and yes, trust other professionals but rest assured the info we give is based on solid experience.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #236
Lives for gear
 
GreenNeedle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
I worked on the main stages of three UK festivals this weekend....Shambala, Reading and Greenbelt...with two different bands. Three different consoles, lots of condenser microphones...vocals, drums, guitars, horns, Leslie cab...30 mins max changeover, I set ,the monitor mixes in all three cases and there was not one hint of feedback and all the live feeds used my mixes.

Deedeeyeah thanks for the mutual trust, and yes, trust other professionals but rest assured the info we give is based on solid experience.
What kinds of condensers give this outstanding performance on stage?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #237
Lives for gear
 
GreenNeedle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
I’ll call things the way I see them...something is whack it will be called whack and an appropriate explanation given, this makes it easy for people to point fingers, but I’m not dishonest, I don’t misrepresent what others have said, hide behind innuendo or blame them falsely for things I’m actually guilty of.
And yet when you give grossly uninformed advice you will not, no matter what, ever admit the information you posted is incorrect.
In fact you will do everything in your power to deflect the topic away from your blunder leaving those who are here to learn, confused and misinformed.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #238
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Have you read some of the comments in many/most of your posts just in the thread alone...the stupid name calling and grade school sniping?
You may be right Sam, as I say, I'm working on it. Perhaps you can point out the "name calling" I should reconsider.

Quote:
Have you actually not read some of the comments and remarks that are constantly being made by some posters...guys who don’t even attempt to include any useful information in their posts?
That's a spectrum we're all on, it might be more useful to look to your own contribution and lead by example.

Quote:
I still maintain that you and greenneedle are here to pick a fight and derail the thread, you haven’t missed a single opportunity to squeeze in the obligatory insult into every post...your opening sentence in this post alone is telling.
I think you'll find my opening sentence was:

"I respect Sam's experience and knowledge and really appreciate the fact that he spends time and effort answering questions and sharing what he has learned."

Which I do believe. The rest of it I also stand by 100%. You, like the rest of us, are a complex character with an inconsistent manner. It gets in the way of useful communication. The irony of this is, if you took this lack of wisdom to any decent gig I've been to you wouldn't be asked back, however talented you are. From this I suspect you are more constructive in "work" mode.

Quote:
I’ll call things the way I see them...something is whack it will be called whack and an appropriate explanation given, this makes it easy for people to point fingers, but I’m not dishonest,
That is often an admirable outlook, it's also the refuge of curmudgeonly old bastards the world over. It's sometimes difficult to know which is the appropriate interpretation in a given situation, perhaps it depends on the audience.

Quote:
I don’t misrepresent what others have said, hide behind innuendo or blame them falsely for things I’m actually guilty of.
There will be wry smiles from lots of people who read this and don't recognise this characterisation.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #239
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Give a list of those “crazier” ideas you talk about...direct quotes because the main reason some of you have your panties in a twist is because some of your post were shot down for the BS info included in them. Running around the forum telling people why they can’t or shouldn’t use condenser microphones, waxing poetic about gear you’ve never used, , giving out advise about processing you don’t really understand etc.
  • A DJ was asking for what speakers to buy, you suggested used passive boxes without regard to warranty concerns, processing needed, or size and weight consideration
  • A guy who rode the bus to his gigs was looking for a mixer and you recommended a $7000 digital desk
  • In this thread you are telling people to use the gain knob to control the pickup characteristics of a microphone and the eq of the channel.

Do you deny any of this? If so, I'll go to the trouble of finding and linking to your posts. Crazy thing data storage eh?

Quote:
I DO NOT make up ****, guess my way around work processes or methods, and have always been a staunch advocate for posting factual information here which some of you seem to be bothered by.
No. We are bothered because you say something that is your opinion, which is grossly incorrect, then defend it until your eyes bleed with the defacto backup evidence being your experience in mixing bands.

Quote:
Fortunately, all of my posts are still available and we don’t have to rely on the prejudicial and inaccurate memory of some of you....telling someone that the info in their post about always placing the monitor directly behind the mic or that you shouldn’t use a super/hyper cardioid mic on a loud stage is incorrect info is suddenly translated into me abusing them. And those of you who clearly recognize the fallacy shut up ad say nothing. I call that hypocrisy.
As stated, the things you wrote here ... as you wrote them are all sensical.

Quote:
You’ve mentioned the stones thing three or four times now which have no bearing on the matter, I actually don’t remember saying any such thing, and is just being used as some kind of dig...I guess this is must be how you so called nice guys operate. But it does give credence to my paranoia.
Look Sam .... You can't go around using the acts you mix for and the stages you have worked as backing evidence for your views and not expect people to toss it back on you when your views are patently incorrect. I'll admit it is a bit infantile for me to keep bringing it up since I have already driven the point home enough.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #240
Lives for gear
 
GreenNeedle's Avatar
 

It’s really of no use addressing him.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/brightsi...th-381910/amp/
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump