The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Switching to Condenser, Need Advice
Old 5 hours ago
mdc
Gear Head

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownTheLine View Post
With the church building empty every condenser that we used picked up ALL the room noise and they picked up HVAC, subwoofer rattles from the stage, projector fan hum. What a nightmare it was dealing with all that noise.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Next time try to keep your mic gain lower and push up the faders more instead and see if this changes things.

Here is what you are completely missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheLine View Post

SAMC was right with his guess about the issue I had with condenser being harsh at a church I served at. EVERY channel gain had to be 6db hotter then optimum in order for their sketchy IEM set up to have enough SPL. This meant no matter how low I put the channel faders the signal still sounded bad.

Pretty good guess he made hitting the issue I had on the head 100%!

Last edited by mdc; 5 hours ago at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Missing info
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
Sorry, its how digital boards work, and how the gain structure is:
mic pre->a/d conversion-> channel DSP-> mix bus (digital or analog)

Obviously you were not reading what I said correctly. Because I commented why digital boards have a different sound.
problem is that you had way to much false information in your post, all if which i quoted and replied to - and your conclusion is simply wrong! i suggest you start you own thread if wanna discuss analog vs digital, got nothing to do with the topic here. nevermind and good luck, whether you're working analog or digital...

p s. the last part of your suggested signal flow is still wrong: digital desks do not have analog buses!
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear
Here you are, 123 posts removed from the original post and way off in the weeds of a disagreement only loosely related to the OPs concern. The OP has never posted again, so there is no indication that the responses gave him something useful, or that he has any interest in where the thread has wandered.
It’s like a kids’ pickup softball game that degenerated into a fight between two of the kids that has gone on too long. A lot of the kids went home and the game is over. You kids should dust yourselves off and go home.
Old 45 minutes ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Here you are, 123 posts removed from the original post and way off in the weeds of a disagreement only loosely related to the OPs concern. The OP has never posted again, so there is no indication that the responses gave him something useful, or that he has any interest in where the thread has wandered.
It’s like a kids’ pickup softball game that degenerated into a fight between two of the kids that has gone on too long. A lot of the kids went home and the game is over. You kids should dust yourselves off and go home.
The best advice was given right off the bat, try different mics out and pick the best one that suits him! Any other advice is just wrong.

I truly believe in mic selection and placement. For most people most stage mics will sound OK, but some singers just have certain aspects to their voices that can't be fixed with processing, IMHO. In those cases I will try out every mic I can on them, for at least a few shows.

As has been said here MANY times, pic a mic based on what you hear not on marketing specs/post frequency response graphs.

In practice I have found that Mics with sibilance dips tend to make some people with overly sibilent
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search