The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Wedding Band Sub Help
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Wedding Band Sub Help

Hi all,

So my wedding band has recently acquired the RCF 732A'S which are great and we're looking to add a sub or 2 to add some lowend.

We're a 5 piece and everything goes through our XAIR18 mixer - Bass, guitar, vocals, drums etc.

Ive narrowed it down to the following...

1 x RCF 8003/8004-AS-II
1 x Yamaha DXS18XLF
2 x RCF 905-AS-II

Im wondering if 1 x 18" will do us or would we better with 2x15" like the RCF 905? Our budget won't quite stretch to 2x18" at the moment.

Typical venue size is around 75-150 people.

Thanks!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

that dxs is a good sub and it's enough. especially for wedding. it will cover 500+ in a room comfortably
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jordyzzz View Post
that dxs is a good sub and it's enough. especially for wedding. it will cover 500+ in a room comfortably
Yep. If you're usually doing gigs with 150 people tops, one sub is gonna be plenty. A good buddy of mine does sound for tons of wedding and corporate gigs with two RCF mains and one EV sub, and a hodgepodge of powered monitors for the stage, all running through a Behringer X-Air 18. Works great, and he's a great sound guy, so he has everything dialed in really well and never comes close to running out of headroom.

That's more than enough power for a wedding. If anything, clients might occasionally ask him to turn DOWN. That's rare since he's such a pro, but it's a good indicator that his rig is more than enough for that job.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

RCF 18" without question. Center place it between the loudspeaker mains.
Good to go.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
I've done roughly 200 wedding receptions over the years. IMO, you should get 2 subs. When you don't have a stage, which for us was around half the time, an 18" or even 15" sub in the center looks goofy. It obstructs the view and, in tight spaces, sits on the dance floor. I had a pair of 18" and a pair of 12" and would bring what made sense. Two RCF 702-AS subs on their sides looked OK center clustered as they weren't much taller than a wedge monitor. They also did a significantly better job when grouped together. Unless there was a stage, I'd never put the 18"s in the center.

If you're mainly doing weddings, a pair of good 12" subs will probably suffice. If you can swing the 905's though they'd be a good choice and are heavy enough that the 732 mains will sit atop them safely. With the 702 you'd have to stand mount the mains and put the subs next to the stands, or in the center as they are just too light and too small to provide a stable base.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search