The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Isolate just Guitar to my monitors on stage
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Isolate just Guitar to my monitors on stage

Hi,

I’m looking for some advice on how to switch my guitar signal on stage, so only I can hear it and it doesn’t go to the main pa.

I want to do this so I can switch to monitor what I’m playing (to make sure I’m in the right key for new songs is one reason).

Has anyone done this? My current in-ear monitoring is based on a small mixer (which I take a headphone output from) and my guitar signal is sent via the mixer to the pa.

Any ideas / experience appreciated and I’m looking for a simple solution if possible.

Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you have a spare input on your small mixer, you could use an A/B guitar footswitch to select between two channels on that mixer. One would go only to your in-ear monitors, the other to the main PA as it is now.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Are you using an electric or acoustic guitar? One simple option would be to use an a/b/y box or a tuner with a bypass out, ask the sound engineer to take both outputs and route one output to the monitor and the other to foh

Having re-read your post, you could use a boss tu-2, give the main output to the sound guy and the bypass into your mixer, then when you turn the tuner on, it'll mute the send to foh but the bypass signal will still show up in your ears
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Solved

Both useful answers, thanks.
I’ll have a look at the tuner option and I think I’ve got another solution re the mixer (Soundcraft Compact 4).
So I’ve got electric and acoustic guitars going into a Fender ABY box, so I can choose between the two. This is fed into channel 1 of the mixer. I have main monitor output to amp (then line out or DI out to pa) from the monitor out.
There is a switch on the channel that allows me to choose either monitor mix (ie out to the amp), or not monitor mix - which cuts the output, but I can still hear myself play in the headphones - problem solved!
Definitely will look at the tuner ‘bypass’ option though.
Thanks for your help both of you.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search