The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Speaker and Amp matching query
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Speaker and Amp matching query

Hi, I'm trying to work out how to wire a mismatched amp and speaker system. But I'm getting lost when crunching the numbers.

I have a Acoustic Technologies amp (AT E-3500) which says 4100W max and minimum 4ohm, not crazy helpful I know.

On each side I want to run into a whafdale EVP-X 15B sub (400w rms 4 ohm). Then from the mid/high output of the sub to 2x AT-FR01's (350w rms @ 8 ohm each) I'm thinking I'll just use the through to connect the two AT-FR01's.

Will I blow something up? Do you need more info?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

the owners manual for the EVP-X line of speakers shows your sub is compatibale with their PA speakers that are all 8 ohm rated.

This issue is beyond my understanding but if your sub has a built in X-over network then the I beleive the AMP will only "see" the sub/tops in the X-over region. And if your sub is spec'd to run with 8 ohm tops then they must have designed for this in the x-over network.

With a passive x-over like this the main issue becomes output. If your PA speakers have the same 8 ohm rating and a simular sensitivty then it should match up pretty Good.

The problem is if you PA are MORE sensistive then the EVP-X PA speakers then your tops will be loud and the sub weak .

Of course running your current amp into the subs "active" section and getting another amp with built in DSP (to X-over the tops) will take care of this level issue as you have input sensitivity(aka gain) on the sub amp and tops amp.

If the output level isn't too off between the subs and speakers you can also try adding and EQ into the mix to balance things out.

You never said what this system will be playing?

DJ Music only?
Live bands?

Are you running a mixer with this PA system?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks Downtheline!

You've given me the confidence to atleast hook them all up and have a play.

The reason I'm apprehensive is because I'm doing the work for a venue with their equipment.

The application is both live music and DJ's, a basic rack mountable mixer and power amps are supplied. The premise is that each act bring their own mixer and plug into the system, I'll have a quick play and decide whether a EQ is necessary to get it jumping

Thanks again!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search