The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Soundcraft Si Impact or ... what?
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Soundcraft Si Impact or ... what?

Hello,
first of all my apologies for my poor English, I come from Poland.
I'm looking for a new digital mixer for my music band. We're performing at occasional events, mostly weddings, etc.
I've got 5 people in my band, playing on a:
- acoustic drums (at the beginning 4 mics, kick, snare and 2 overheads),
- synthesizer (3 channels, 2 x main output and one assignable for bass guitar, i'm playing bass line with my left hand, motif xf7),
- electric guitar (stereo),
- saxophone (1 ch),
- female vocals (1 ch),
- male vocals (2 ch, using tc helicon device),
- other devices, like wireless microphones, backing vocals, pc, cd player

What are my requirements?
Price up to 2600 USD / 2300 EUR,
smart and simple ipad app,
analog-like operation,
nice sound obviously,
beautiful and clean reverbs,
nice working eqs, compressors, gates, etc.
minimum 24 built-in inputs (i don't think i'm gonna buy and use a stagebox),
mobility (i dont want to buy a digital wardrobe),
durability (polish weddings sometimes becomes very ... sumptuous),
combo xlr/jacks, or jack inputs are pretty welcome to me.

I found out Soundcaft Si Impact digital mixer, which seems to fit to my requirements, but right here in PL, testing out so expensive devices isn't to easy.

So, I'm asking for a help with picking the best one, fitting to my requirements. The other options are
Behringer X32,
Allen&Heath QU24 (SQ6 price is to high, and this device seems to be too big).

QSC Touchmix 30 (or sth) isn't an option for me.
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
I don’t know if it is available in Poland, but your list matches the Mackie DL32. If you get the DL32r you can also do live multitrack recording.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Thanks for your reply, however as I said I need analog-style digital mixer. Maybe I called it in a wrong way (I don't know how to call it - I'm looking for something looking and working like X32 or Si Impact, not Ui, racks, etc.). Mackie DL32R is available in my country, but i need analog-looking mixer. If I need to, I have to change f.e. output levels very quickly, because iPads are used for lyrics in my band.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 

The Si Impact is a good mixer with good channel processing. It is more analog like than the X32 .... but only by a little bit. The Si Impact also sounds a little better to my ear.

The X32 has more processing capabilities (more efx, more flexible efx), better routing, better scene control, and a better tablet app. Additionally, the perferials for the X32 (Personal IEM stations, stage boxes, etc) are much less expensive.

The Qu 24 is a nice mixer; however, I don't think it has anything to recommend it over either the X32 or the Si Impact. Furthermore, it doesn't have LCD scribble strips .... which for me is a deal breaker.

Finally, I think your English is quite good. Most people in the US don't speak more than one language.... and many of them struggle with that one
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by adziopak View Post
Thanks for your reply, however as I said I need analog-style digital mixer. Maybe I called it in a wrong way (I don't know how to call it - I'm looking for something looking and working like X32 or Si Impact, not Ui, racks, etc.). Mackie DL32R is available in my country, but i need analog-looking mixer. If I need to, I have to change f.e. output levels very quickly, because iPads are used for lyrics in my band.
I understand now. You want a digital board with at least some actual faders, not virtual faders.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Gear Nut
 

I have both the Impact SI and the X32. After working with both for a couple of years I think the weakness of the SI is the screen size and durability.

If I had my money back I would have not have bought the SI for that reason.
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Here for the gear
 

@ Bushman - that's what I meant to say. That's why I said I don't want even think about qsc touchmix 30 pro - it's pretty famous here, but it looks like a toy. @ OneEng - thanks for your opinion about my English. As I said I'm not into using all those additional stuff like stageboxes, iem, etc. because 32 inputs is much more than i need, and all wires, devices (including mixer) will be situated nearby on the stage. The sound quality is a priority. However, in Poland X32 is about 500 USD cheaper than SI Impact. You said, that Behringer has better efx. You meant reverbs/delays or what? Because nice reverbs, delays, nicely working EQs, gates and compressors are pretty important to me. I noticed, that Si Impact doesn't have this "EQ Analyzer", I'm talking about displaying frequency charts during eq-ing some channel (again, probably there is a proper name for it, which I don't know).
@ jammate - what about sound quality?
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammate View Post
(...) If I had my money back I would have not have bought the SI for that reason.
...while i'd take the si performer any day over any x-desk; has been very reliable (and handy with built-in dmx) for the last couple of years now - but it's certainly less fancy than other desks...
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
...while i'd take the si performer any day over any x-desk; has been very reliable (and handy with built-in dmx) for the last couple of years now - but it's certainly less fancy than other desks...
beautiful desk, despite this extremely small display, but the price is also extreme..
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adziopak View Post
beautiful desk, despite this extremely small display, but the price is also extreme..
guess the concept is more to look at the knobs than at the display - or even better, to listen!
haven't been buying anything new in dozens of years; found my two performer 1 desk for ca. chf 1200.-- each... :-)
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
guess the concept is more to look at the knobs than at the display - or even better, to listen!
haven't been buying anything new in dozens of years; found my two performer 1 desk for ca. chf 1200.-- each... :-)
where did you found those desks for such a low price ?
In PL i have Performer 1 for 16,300 PLN = 4125 chf (new one), Performer 2 and 3 are not much more expensive
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adziopak View Post
where did you found those desks for such a low price ?
In PL i have Performer 1 for 16,300 PLN = 4125 chf (new one), Performer 2 and 3 are not much more expensive
i'll send you a pm as i guess we're not supposed to promote any plattforms here...(?)

just two pics of the desks from recent use in a church, once at foh (for both mains, fills and wedges) and once for monitors only.

for simple tasks with a no-nonsense approach, i really like them (and favour the more expensive soundcraft or even studer preamps which you can control from the desk over those from midas, yamaha or digico); i have to admit though that i do not use the desks for corporate jobs or for any more sophisticated tasks (due to the lack of expanders and automix)...
Attached Thumbnails
Soundcraft Si Impact or ... what?-20190605_215823.jpg   Soundcraft Si Impact or ... what?-20190520_180606.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Here for the gear
 

So, when it comes to compare Si Performer between Si Impact, what would you say? What's the difference?
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

X32 - $
Si Impact - $$
Si Performer - $$$

All these desks will do what you say you require. If you don't have the ability to test them out, I'd say buy the cheapest and have more money left over. There are 1,000s of happy X32 users around.
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adziopak View Post
@ Bushman - that's what I meant to say. That's why I said I don't want even think about qsc touchmix 30 pro - it's pretty famous here, but it looks like a toy. @ OneEng - thanks for your opinion about my English. As I said I'm not into using all those additional stuff like stageboxes, iem, etc. because 32 inputs is much more than i need, and all wires, devices (including mixer) will be situated nearby on the stage. The sound quality is a priority. However, in Poland X32 is about 500 USD cheaper than SI Impact. You said, that Behringer has better efx. You meant reverbs/delays or what? Because nice reverbs, delays, nicely working EQs, gates and compressors are pretty important to me. I noticed, that Si Impact doesn't have this "EQ Analyzer", I'm talking about displaying frequency charts during eq-ing some channel (again, probably there is a proper name for it, which I don't know).
@ jammate - what about sound quality?
Hi adziopak,

To be more clear:

The Soundcraft Impact has slightly better sounding efx than the X32 to my ear. This is an opinion only; however, it is an opinion that has been shared in more than a couple threads I have participated in over the last couple of years.

Note that I am saying "slightly better". I think that it is slightly easier to get a channel to sound good using the Soundcraft. I am not certain if that is due to the channel eq being better, the compressor/gate being slightly better, or that the preamps are slightly better. My personal opinion is that there isn't any difference that anyone could hear from one preamp to another and that any sound difference is in the quality of the channel processing.

The X32 efx are more flexible. As an example, the gate on an X32 can be triggered from any other channel source, the trigger source can be filtered (like the trigger can be filtered for a specific frequency with a specific bandwidth), etc, etc. If you compare the two gate/compressors of the two mixers (which you can do with the off-line-editors which can be downloaded for free), you will see what I mean.

I can not comment on the durability of the Si Impact, but the X32 has a proven track record for durability.

I agree with AlexSP. I would likely go with the X32 if I were you. There are so many people that are familiar with this desk that you will be very likely to find others that can help you.

As for the quality of the reverb unit, I have found that the reverb on the X32 is quite good. There is a member on this forum and several others which does sound professionally for many larger venues who claims he has X32 verb settings which are as good as his Eventide. That was what pushed me over the edge when it came to purchasing the X32.
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Gear Maniac
 

i am not a huge fan of soundcraft due to it's reliability issue. Rentals on my area has their soundcraft failing faster than expected.

for me, x32...
personally, i use midas m32r with stagebox now. 0 issues. 3 years running. and it comes with 10 yr warranty.
Old 1 week ago
  #17
DGL
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecSp View Post
There are 1,000s of happy X32 users around.
More like at least 500,000 happy users, it's the biggest selling digital mixer of all time (or well was, the XAIR series must be up their now). and there are rumors of a V4 FW coming out that MIGHT remove the blocks of 8 routing limitation.
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Here for the gear
 

If you like playing with effects and reverbs the Behringer is tough to beat. It has modeled simulations of famous reverbs compressors and other stuff.
Old 6 days ago
  #19
Gear Nut
 

To OP: I think the Soundcraft sounds a bit better but that may be me justifiying spending the extra grand. As many have said the X32 is a better investment. At the end of the day it is about return on investment unless you are a hobbyist. If that is the case pick the one that makes you happy.
Old 6 days ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammate View Post
(...) As many have said the X32 is a better investment. At the end of the day it is about return on investment unless you are a hobbyist. If that is the case pick the one that makes you happy.
you cannot tell on absolute terms and certainly cannot judge for someone else: what makes sense for you may be pretty much pointless for someone else and criteria can be vastly different, beyond making any comparison even possible: could be that a specific feature is hugely important to a user...

i do have a couple things which for me clearly rule out the x32 in any case but also a couple of things which let me use a desk far above the impact on many occasions.
Old 6 days ago
  #21
Here for the gear
 

Where no one can beat the Behringer X is the built in plugins of vintage gear and processing. It’s like having a mini Waves setup for free.

Always wanted an LA2A just for the kick drum? Done. Want to warm up a backing track? Try the Pultec. Can’t get the organ to breathe? Try a Fairchild. Trying to work out a guitar piece at home? There’s a whole pedalboard worth of stereo delay options. Want a quick recording of your performance? Split off a channel to run through the multiband compressor and record that along with the dry inputs as you perform.

You can record then later master a session right in the box if you wanted to.
Old 5 days ago
  #22
Lives for gear
 
JayTee4303's Avatar
I hear rumors of an incipient X-48. To the point that gearslutz I work for are delaying acquisitions.

I am not at all impressed with the sound of -32 FX, but I am also pretty picky.

I intend to pick up a 32, for various purposes, when the 48 comes out and prices drop, and if I run it live, I intend to use outboard verb, EQ, and possibly comps.
Old 5 days ago
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
I hear rumors of an incipient X-48. To the point that gearslutz I work for are delaying acquisitions.

I am not at all impressed with the sound of -32 FX, but I am also pretty picky.

I intend to pick up a 32, for various purposes, when the 48 comes out and prices drop, and if I run it live, I intend to use outboard verb, EQ, and possibly comps.
MIDAS Heritage Digital
Old 4 days ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 
JayTee4303's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
Maybe, but the info I get is "X-48". I can tell from your posts you will understand what I'm saying, and I'll leave it here.

It's coming up on 830a Thursday. I'm about to shower, then roll out to a gig that's basically going to last till dawn Sunday.
Old 4 days ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 
loujudson's Avatar
I would (and do) use the Allen & Heath Qu-24. X mixers are only popular because they are cheap, and the Souncraft are too compromised from their big boards.

You will be hapy with a Qu, and the learning curve is easy and the sound very good.
Old 2 days ago
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
I would (and do) use the Allen & Heath Qu-24. X mixers are only popular because they are cheap, and the Souncraft are too compromised from their big boards.

You will be hapy with a Qu, and the learning curve is easy and the sound very good.
While certainly price has a big part in why X mixers are popular, it is FAR from the only reason.
  1. They are VERY reliable
  2. They are silly feature rich to the point of having features only found on mixers in a price range way above them
  3. They have crazy good support applications
  4. They have an entire ecosystem of aux devices that they integrate with
  5. They are very well supported by the manufacturer
  6. They are the most common mixer out on the town and many bands have a show file for them. Most any FOH engineer will know how to use them well.

While I give a slight nod to the Soundcraft mixers for sound quality, I know many people who would argue that the Qu is inferior to the sound of an X mixer.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump