The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
PA Speaker question
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

PA Speaker question

Hello! I'm looking to start live performing at small venues, bars mostly. I already have a mixer, a Behringer Xenyx 1204USB which I use for home recording. Can I buy some PA speakers for that mixer to make it work? What kind of speakers, (I'm pretty sure I need powered speakers instead of passive), do I need to worry about watts/voltages? Thank you in advance!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Your mixer is adequate for live performances unless you need more inputs than it provides or unless you need anything complicated regarding monitor speakers in addition to main speakers.

As to speakers, you haven’t said what kind of music you are performing or the size of the vehicle you will use to transport your gear. If your music isn’t bass-intensive, I recommend JBL 610 self-powered speakers. They are light, small, loud, and almost idiot proof (which is important, because newbies unknowingly do idiot things with gear).
Many other self-powered speakers could meet your needs, I happen to have experience with these JBLs. Remember to figure what you will need in terms of speaker stands, audio cable and power cables.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the response! It's just piano (yamaha DGX 660) and vocal, maybe a second mic. It doesn't have to thump really, but something that has some bass presence for sure! And moving stuff around in a Toyota Yaris 2 door hatchback. I'm still not 100% the piano itself will fit in it lol, But my gigs will be close and local
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Piano is definitely capable of "bass intensive." Intense enough to blow **** up.

Hit a local rental house. They will usually steer you right. Hit three, see if their "answers" generally match. Coupla-three rentals will go a long way towards getting you up to speed for a longer term purchase.

Or find you a sound guy. There's probably a pile, nearby, underworked. Ask around.

"Will this mixer work?"

...plus...

"fit in a car?"

...plus...

"Which speakers?"

...plus...

"Piano"

...can very easily lead to your dollars turning into actual flames.

Us soundguys refer to that as "letting the magic smoke out."

Club owners, insurance adjusters, fire marshalls, and bereaved parents take a dimmer view.

They use terms like "unlicensed pyrotechnics."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search