The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help expanding a system (RCF HD12a+subs) - more subs, more cabs?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Talking Help expanding a system (RCF HD12a+subs) - more subs, more cabs?

hi there, i organize underground experimental music shows, main concern is harsh noise, but also hard electronic music (kinda like gabber/hardcore, actually its breakcore). just to give some guides, harsh noise music usually plays with thick layers of sound that tend to use the whole freq spectrum. its pretty damn demanding to systems (and that was my motivator to get into building my own system). by the way i hae some sound enginering studies, but work in location sound, so pretty noob with sound reinforcement. (also sorry for my not so well english,not native english speaking country here).

OK,heres the real question! : i have 2x RCF HD12a cabs and 2 RCF 1018 (well built clones loaded with B&C components). the system sounds pretty nice, the cabs go a bit louder than the subs, so subs are my limit right now (driving them with a phonic max3500, 800w rms at 8ohm to each sub, the B&C 18" is rated at 600w rms).

so i like the system but want to add power. they are selling 2 peavey sp218 subs, loaded with black widows.. im thinking on the crazy idea of buyin em. and then i would need to get a couple more cabs to balance the system.. originally thinking on a couple more hd12a but they are selling 2 rcf 715a mk4 cabs at a good price.

question is: does a system like this make sense? going with full polywood subs but plastic dj cabs? its nice that i can later use the cabs alone.. but im kinda thinking. if having 6 x18" subs makes more sense with some heavy wood cabs, kinda ike the sp4...

i have little esxperience, i live in a country where there aint too much of these systems in my region, its all big line arays or really ****ty cabs. i want stuf to sound loud but good also. really happy with the rcf hd12a sound. of course im on a budget ,thats why im looking at used stuff. but i only look a used stuff that looks like new.

thanks for the time!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

if you need more level and you're saying that the tops are already louder than the subs, you need more subs! and another amp! actually, more powerful amps for the subs - most any system i come across these days uses a bass tilt anyway (although it's not needed for every venue or genre so i often have to trim the subs back for my needs). i would not combine different subs though but build another pair of clones, identical to the ones you have or then go the peavy way altogether...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Peavey SP218's can put out some SPL with enough power.
High pass them at 36hz at 24db per octave and low pass them at 120hz or lower.
I power them with 1250 watts RMS into 8ohms class D power amp and they can pound all day.
The SP218 is a 4ohm load so that would be 2500 watts RMS.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search