The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Wireless Footswitch for Vocal Rack FX Units
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Wireless Footswitch for Vocal Rack FX Units

Hi,

So does anyone make a simple wireless foot switch to turn vocal FX on/off just like a normal PITA wired one?

I don't think I am looking for a page turner, pretty much the only thing that comes up as wireless when I Google the web.

The 2 FX units I wish to switch do have Midi controls, is this my best avenue and is the new Airturner possibly the way to go if Midi is the answer? Only how do I get the signal into the units? The HiFing bluetooth Midi device I saw on ebay? Am I on the right track?

I run a PC with Wincrap8 on it, probably the single worst OS they ever did but I'm stuck with it. If the solution revolves around telling the PC via bluetooth to do something, trust me, it ain't gunna happen.

I just want to push a switch, have the transmitter tell the receiver to go opposite to where ever it is now and why does it seem that there is no solution out there?

Oh plenty of stuff for guitars, anything there that is feasible, hacked/modded or straight out of the box?

I am wireless on mic and IEM so its a right pain having to put up with the foot switch cable.

Thanks for input and suggestions.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Great rant, maybe, but pretty light on detail that would actually facilitate anyone giving you more helpful suggestions, like what FX units are you using for a start?

Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecSp View Post
Great rant, maybe, but pretty light on detail that would actually facilitate anyone giving you more helpful suggestions, like what FX units are you using for a start?

Digitech Vocalist live Pro and a Lexicon MX400 , just trying to switch FX in and out wirelessly to be rid of more cables if that's at all possible.

They both have Midi control if that is useful for the problem.

I use a win8 laptop using Winamp to play Wav files. The laptop has bluetooth but Win8 is a horror of an OS and mostly things are quite painful, not too much seems to be plug n play. The bluetooth would not connect to a set of BT earphones the other day while my Android phone connected instantly. That kind of not plug n play. Mentioned in case a solution involves the laptop somehow, I might get lucky but mostly it takes a lot of work to make things work and a lot of times it's very temporary. I do contemplate going back to Win7 a lot!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3OT1 View Post
Digitech Vocalist live Pro and a Lexicon MX400 , just trying to switch FX in and out wirelessly to be rid of more cables if that's at all possible.
That is helpful, as a quick check confirms that they have a footswitch input as well as midi control, giving each two potential options for external switching.

Unfortunately, though, I don't think there's a simple plug & play solution that will do what you want. Something like the iRig BlueBoard will generate midi commands - but you'll still need a receiver that will output midi to your FX units and then to programme it.

In the end, I don't think there's enough of a market to warrant this. Most people who need remote control aren't prepared to take the additional risk that wireless entails, along with the consequent cost.

There are some industrial solutions, but they all seem to involve DIN mounted receivers, which I suspect gets too involved again.

And remember, just as with wireless mics, a $10 cable will always work more reliably than even a $1,000 wireless system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3OT1 View Post
I use a win8 laptop using Winamp to play Wav files ... I do contemplate going back to Win7 a lot!
Sigh...
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks AlecSP.

Funnily enough my Sennheiser G2 mic has been absolutely perfect for a decade, zero issues, zero drop outs. (touchwood). My IEM's also spot on so far but early days yet with these.

My experience with wireless to this point is that it is exceptionally good. I wish that was my experience with Windows!

I think I will make my own wireless footswitch then if no one makes one. I like little projects to tinker with.

If there's a better player than Winamp with a BIG CLOCK (plugin) I'd be happy to know about it!

Cheers mate!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search