The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pushing JBL SRX812s into limit
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 
Diplomat's Avatar
Pushing JBL SRX812s into limit

Hi gang
I had a gig recently, went like a dream, great sound, band loved it. Etc

I have a pair of JBL SRX812s over an SRX818 each. I use a Soundcraft UI24r.

During third and final set, I popped around the back of the speakers to see how they were going and on average they were limiting for maybe 6 or 7 seconds out of every 10.

There was no audible distortion to be heard. I had a Compressor across the main outs about 3:1 reducing output by a couple dB to soften the blow.

I’ve tried searching for answers online and looked in the manual but can’t find any warnings about regular limiting for this particular model.

Should I have been concerned?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #2
Here for the gear
 

Iirc that line goes into limiting early & often as a safety feature w/o much in way of audible limiting artifacts if you're not intentionally beating them up, but I don't know any of the specifics & would be interested to learn. I've read unofficial reports that they're next to impossible to blow up but obvs wouldn't recommend trying.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Pro Sound Guy's Avatar
 

Turn it down so the limiters are not engaging.
Easy
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4
Gear Head
 

If it sounds good it sounds good!

It may turn out that you get speakers with more SPL and they don't sound as good, then you put a superfast limiter on them to try and duplicate the sound you had before.

OKAY, the FIRST thing you need to do is find out what frequency range/instrument is pushing the speakers into limiting.

Do you have ANY EQ in the speaker DSP?

Do you have any EQ on the main outputs?

Do you have any large boosts in channel EQ?

Step 1. Make sure you are not boosting frequencies into the limiter (or find out which frequencies are hitting the limiter and decide to keep doing it)

Step 2. Find out what frequencies the full band is feeding you.

To do this I believe you can use the built in RTA funtion to view where the peaks are coming from.

If all the levels look good and your still slamming the limiters then you may need to alter your hardware.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat View Post
I have a pair of JBL SRX812s over an SRX818 each. I use a Soundcraft UI24r.

During third and final set, I popped around the back of the speakers to see how they were going and on average they were limiting for maybe 6 or 7 seconds out of every 10.

There was no audible distortion to be heard. I had a Compressor across the main outs about 3:1 reducing output by a couple dB to soften the blow.

I’ve tried searching for answers online and looked in the manual but can’t find any warnings about regular limiting for this particular model.

Should I have been concerned?
yes, you should be concerned: a compressor may actually add to almost contiuously drive a system into peaking, something which you cannot necessarily hear though, especially in a live situation.

first measure is gain staging and to make sure you match gear in the analog domain. then you might need better metering/learn what 'meters and flashing leds tell you and finally a speaker processor with proper settings which protects your system from getting driven into overload!

could be though that you simply haven't got enough rig for the gig...
Old 2 weeks ago
  #6
Gear Head
 

There are several posts on this topic across the web.

I have the srx835p and 828 and was worried when I first bought them as I thought they were not loud enough because I saw the limit indicator flashing. If you watch the the meters you can see that you still some left in the tank.

From what was discovered by other users, basically the limit light flashes when you have about 10db of headroom left. If you connect to audio architect you will see that no real limiting is taking place when the indicators start to flash. More so just an indicator that your getting close.

If you run the srx hard into limit you will know it. They start to compress heavily.


But you will have no issues if it’s flashing on and off. If it’s holding steady then you might want to back it down
Old 2 weeks ago
  #7
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sants View Post
There are several posts on this topic across the web.

I have the srx835p and 828 and was worried when I first bought them as I thought they were not loud enough because I saw the limit indicator flashing. If you watch the the meters you can see that you still some left in the tank.

From what was discovered by other users, basically the limit light flashes when you have about 10db of headroom left. If you connect to audio architect you will see that no real limiting is taking place when the indicators start to flash. More so just an indicator that your getting close.

If you run the srx hard into limit you will know it. They start to compress heavily.


But you will have no issues if it’s flashing on and off. If it’s holding steady then you might want to back it down
This is what I remember reading as well
Old 2 weeks ago
  #8
Here for the gear
 
Diplomat's Avatar
Thanks guys,
Now that you mention it Sants, I do recall reading about the lower limit threshold on this model when I picked them up last year. I think it may have been vocals pushing the speakers into limit though I do like to wind in some 200 into the snare to fatten it up, the limiting wasn’t consistent with the snare.
I’ll have to hook it up to audio architect to get an accurate idea of what’s going on. Thanks for your help.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #9
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat View Post
Thanks guys,
Now that you mention it Sants, I do recall reading about the lower limit threshold on this model when I picked them up last year. I think it may have been vocals pushing the speakers into limit though I do like to wind in some 200 into the snare to fatten it up, the limiting wasn’t consistent with the snare.
I’ll have to hook it up to audio architect to get an accurate idea of what’s going on. Thanks for your help.
Hi, I don't think that's what he said.

A limiter threshold is when the limiter begins to take effect.

He's saying the yellow light means you have 10db before the limiter takes effect. I will check to the manual to see if it lights red when into limiting.

Looks like you need to bring up the DSP settings and see what they are set at.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
i have 828's, 835's, 812's ..all of them sound fine and work just fine into the limit flag, it comes on early IMO- lots of threads on this, no worries at all
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Here for the gear
 
Diplomat's Avatar
Thanks for the reassurance RightOnRome. Really enjoyed reading Stephen St. Croix back in the day. Sounds like you have the rig I aspire to.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump