The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ohms, amps, wats and other confusing $h*t
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Ohms, amps, wats and other confusing $h*t

Iv watched 100's of videos and i still cant get an answer!!!

I will try to keep this short as i can but i imagine this will be long winded so i apologies in advance.

I have various amps, desks and speakers. Up until now i have basically plugged all in and played away. Never had any issue. Lately i have been updating some equipment and decided to learn about what i was actually buying. I recently bought a new mixing desk with powered speakers for smaller gigs but lately i have been asked to do large venues so i need to connect my passive subs for that better sound.

So here is what i want to use...
2 x powered speakers (No issue here)
2 x 8ohm @ 250W Tops
2 x 4ohm @ 300W subs.

Everything i have come across said never to have two different Ohm speakers on the same chain however, If i was to buy 2 amps and daisy chain the amps rather than the speakers, would that work, so

Amp1 would power the 2 4ohm speakers and amp 2 would power the 8ohm speakers?!

Brain is wrecked trying to understand all this. Appreciate any help!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistie View Post
Amp 1 would power the 2 x 4 ohm speakers,

and Amp 2 would power the 2x 8 ohm speakers?!
thats fine. they are seperate Amps feeding a Seperate speaker system.

you have to check that the amp running the 4 ohm speakers is designed and can handle 4 ohm load.

the amp running the Subs will generally want to be 3 or 4 times as powerfull as the amp running the Tops.

My Large studio monitors are Bi Amped (normal) and i feed roughty 1400 watts to the lows and 400 watts to the tops.

in my PA system its more like 750/2000 but the same theory applies.

Hope that helps Buddha
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You can mix different resistance values.
You can use the product over the sum calculation or here is a link you can get parallel resistance values.
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/too...ce-calculator/
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy View Post
You can mix different resistance values.
You can use the product over the sum calculation or here is a link you can get parallel resistance values.
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/too...ce-calculator/
As long as the parallel impedance is not to low for the amp this is true and would work, provided you want to send the same signal to both speakers.
In this case though, putting 8 and 4 Ohms in parallel means connecting a sub and a top on the same amp channel.
OP, if you want to use one amp, put both tops on one channel and both subs on the other. The amp has to capable of operating at 2 Ohms for the subs.
Balance the volume between subs and tops with the amp sensitivity control and/or the crossover output level controls.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search