The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
switch to Soundcraft Ui24r from X32 or not?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

switch to Soundcraft Ui24r from X32 or not?

thinking to switch to Soundcraft Ui24r from X32 compact.

I usually do festival type of events where multiple different performers participate not just one band, and weddings.
which only require 3-4 monitors, 8-20 inputs, and stereo or stereo + 1 aux for recording.

X32 compact usualy is an overkill especially during setup,
with something like UI24R I can just have it rack mounted with wireless receivers which will speed up set-up / tear down times for me significantly.

the features that I realy find better in UI24R over X32:
-AFS feedback suppression
-mute group naming
-longer faders in "app"

but the thing I'm really concerned about is the wireless connectivity issues,
(with X32 I use external router and use ipad 80% of the time for mixing,
but having hardware faders is a safe back up if connection drops)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The biggest concern for me about UI24R is the wifi conenctivity issue.
Is it still present ?
How often it occurs ?
Or has it been fixed or improved in new firmware update ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Ui24 is a better sounding mixer; however, it really may disappear into the mix depending on your speakers and mics.

As for the wireless drop-out, you can use your external router with the Ui24 just as easily as you do with your X32.

If your priority is ease of transport, setup and breakdown, then the Ui24 (or X32 Rack for that matter) is a better option than the X32 Compact (which really isn't that compact).

I am currently an X32 Rack user; however, if I were to buy today, I might well opt for the Ui24.

Note, that if you are truly concerned about a wireless issue ruining your gig (I have never had that issue in literally hundreds of uses), then the X32 Rack does have a basic physical UI.

Either the X32 or the Ui24 can be used with a wired connection to a laptop as a non-WiFi dependent backup.

The X32 can connect to the X-Touch controller via the UltraLink connector (Ethernet cable).

Either the X32 Rack or the Ui24 would fit the bill for you if you currently mix 80% from your tablet app IMO.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEng View Post
The Ui24 is a better sounding mixer; however, it really may disappear into the mix depending on your speakers and mics.

As for the wireless drop-out, you can use your external router with the Ui24 just as easily as you do with your X32.

If your priority is ease of transport, setup and breakdown, then the Ui24 (or X32 Rack for that matter) is a better option than the X32 Compact (which really isn't that compact).

I am currently an X32 Rack user; however, if I were to buy today, I might well opt for the Ui24.

Note, that if you are truly concerned about a wireless issue ruining your gig (I have never had that issue in literally hundreds of uses), then the X32 Rack does have a basic physical UI.

Either the X32 or the Ui24 can be used with a wired connection to a laptop as a non-WiFi dependent backup.

The X32 can connect to the X-Touch controller via the UltraLink connector (Ethernet cable).

Either the X32 Rack or the Ui24 would fit the bill for you if you currently mix 80% from your tablet app IMO.
What router are you using ?

Any special settings ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
the features that I realy find better in UI24R over X32:
-AFS feedback suppression
-mute group naming
-longer faders in "app"

but the thing I'm really concerned about is the wireless connectivity issues,
(with X32 I use external router and use ipad 80% of the time for mixing,
but having hardware faders is a safe back up if connection drops)
Have you tried the "better features" in the UI24 and know you want them, or do they just look sexy on the spec sheet? And, BTW, with the Mixing Station app, you can make your faders as long as will fit on your screen with X32!

If you have your mixer stage-side, then all you're really gaining with the UI24 is a smaller package and different workfow - and 4 additional inputs. An external router is still recommended - however good a built-in router is, it's never going to perform well with its antenna buried in with the rest of your cables.

As OneEng mentioned, an X32 rack is the more direct comparison, and a change that you could make with no great adjustment to your workflow. More or less the same price as the UI24R.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would be a lot more concerned about managing 8 - 20 wireless mics/inputs than an I-Pad controller for S R mgt. Momentary blips in remote S R mgt are rarely the type of disaster that wireless mics experience in todays heavy RF areas!
Hugh
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I use a Ui24R and LOVE it.
Make sure you update it to firmware version 3 and get an external router for it.
Good to go.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecSp View Post
Have you tried the "better features" in the UI24 and know you want them, or do they just look sexy on the spec sheet? And, BTW, with the Mixing Station app, you can make your faders as long as will fit on your screen with X32!

If you have your mixer stage-side, then all you're really gaining with the UI24 is a smaller package and different workfow - and 4 additional inputs. An external router is still recommended - however good a built-in router is, it's never going to perform well with its antenna buried in with the rest of your cables.

As OneEng mentioned, an X32 rack is the more direct comparison, and a change that you could make with no great adjustment to your workflow. More or less the same price as the UI24R.
Didn’t try it with the mixer just played with app
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
I would be a lot more concerned about managing 8 - 20 wireless mics/inputs than an I-Pad controller for S R mgt. Momentary blips in remote S R mgt are rarely the type of disaster that wireless mics experience in todays heavy RF areas!
Hugh
I only use 2-5 wireless mics, everything else is wired
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
What router are you using ?

Any special settings ?
Asus 66u

I don't use any special settings but would recommend hiding the SSID.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search