The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best speakers for small festivals/outdoor events?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Best speakers for small festivals/outdoor events?

I'm shopping for some new speakers. I've been looking at the QSC E115s for outdoor events and small festivals.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...assive-speaker

I'm looking to spend somewhere between $2000-$3000 on 2 speakers/power amp.

Any recommendations?

Are there any companies outside of the consumer products I should be looking at?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Have you considered self powered loudspeakers?
The processing is all done for you and limiters are in place for you.
A powered 12" two way with a single 18" powered sub per side would fit your bill.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushPfeiffer View Post
I'm shopping for some new speakers. I've been looking at the QSC E115s for outdoor events and small festivals.

Any recommendations?

Are there any companies outside of the consumer products I should be looking at?
First I have to give the disclaimer I don't know the QSC boxes referenced. They may be well suited to your purpose, once suitably powered and processed.

However if I was going to buy MI grade boxes of that type, I'd not be looking at those passive QSC options unless I already had a decent processor and amp rack in my inventory. You might as well just save money buying the 15" powered model from the K/KW range.

The latter would not be my first choice for any kind of outdoor event. The 75° conical HF dispersion of both that passive box and their powered options, puts too much of that pass band in places you don't need it. You really need more focused directivity to put sound in the right direction, when working in outdoor environments with 1 box per side.

Your budget for just speakers and amps is really tight, regardless of environment. I'm not sure there's a usable outdoor option that's right and available for that money.

Are you strictly limited to spending $3,000 for this purpose? Are you looking to buy processing, power and loudspeakers with that budget?

If you don't already have at least DSP and/or combo amps+processing - rather than investing in sub-optimal loudspeakers and budget ancillaries, I'd use your existing budget to hire in racks and stacks appropriate for each show - learning what's used by those folks familiar with doing a good job at such events, and thus what suitable solutions you can one day hope to invest in, which can properly fulfill your requirements.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The best? These would be the characteristics I look for:

1. Effective pattern control extending as low as possible.

2. See above...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
The best? These would be the characteristics I look for:

1. Effective pattern control extending as low as possible.

2. See above...
Considering that the OP is going to use only one speaker per side for outdoor events, I don't think that this is the most important parameter. It is however important that it's possible to position the speakers at the appropriate angle (yoke, flying points ...).

D&B E8 for example sounds great outdoors, even if it doesn't hold the pattern even remotely as well as most of the larger boxes do.

IMHO distortion, max SPL etc. are more important parameters in this situation.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushPfeiffer View Post

Any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetam View Post
Considering that the OP is going to use only one speaker per side for outdoor events, I don't think that this is the most important parameter.
Where does the OP say one speaker/side? OP states the desire to purchase two speakers, no more, no less.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

A powered speaker called the DV-12 is all you would need. It has a very clean loud output with lots of low end. No need for a sub at most gigs. The output is 120 degrees by 40. I have used these cabs for many events and people are blown away by the HUGE sound from the small box.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search