The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Same size top & sub speakers?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Same size top & sub speakers?

A quickie:

Playing progmetal in a trio (with backing). I have a small 9-piece drum kit setup, and the room is about 30 m2. We'll keep the dB-level fairly low given the circumstances.

Anyway: I have a good 12" sub since before and was about to expand on that to build a functional rehearsal PA to run vocals and backing through. I will not go the 15" sub route (since I already have the 12"), but was thinking of adding a 12" top to my 12" sub (instead of a 10") And then later on double that, i.e. one more 12"+12.

Question:

Any reason as to why adding a 12" top on a 12" sub would not work? They have roughly the same RMS @ 350W. Generally ppl tend to have smaller top speakers on top of larger subs. Any risk/chance the 12" top will outperform the 12" sub, or am I just paranoid?

Last edited by JohnRick; 3 weeks ago at 10:36 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRick View Post
A quickie:

Playing progmetal in a trio (with backing). I have a small 9-piece drum kit setup, and the room is about 30 m2. We'll keep the dB-level fairly low given the circumstances.

Anyway: I have a good 12" sub since before and was about to expand on that to build a functional rehearsal PA to run vocals and backing through. I will not go the 15" sub route (since I already have the 12"), but was thinking of adding a 12" top to my 12" sub (instead of a 10") And then later on double that, i.e. one more 12"+12.

Question:

Any reason as to why adding a 12" top on a 12" sub would not work? They have roughly the same RMS @ 350W. Generally ppl tend to have smaller top speakers on top of larger subs. Any risk/chance the 12" top will outperform the 12" sub, or am I just paranoid?
My first thought was that for progmetal, you need much more bottom (a pair of double 18"); however, if you have been getting by with a 12" sub, then you don't likely demand much bottom for your band.

The room seems pretty small though (18 ft x 15ft).

Small, light, cheep ... pick any 2. What would your preferences be for the 2 you would pick.

There are some seriously powerful 12" subs, but they are pretty expensive.

To answer your question, no, there is no particular reason you can't have 12's over 12's.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEng View Post
My first thought was that for progmetal, you need much more bottom (a pair of double 18"); however, if you have been getting by with a 12" sub, then you don't likely demand much bottom for your band.

The room seems pretty small though (18 ft x 15ft).

Small, light, cheep ... pick any 2. What would your preferences be for the 2 you would pick.

There are some seriously powerful 12" subs, but they are pretty expensive.

To answer your question, no, there is no particular reason you can't have 12's over 12's.
Thanks. Yes, technically maybe at least a 15" sub would be more proper, but I will keep what I have and build from there. 12 over 12 it is then.
Old 3 weeks ago
"small" 9-piece kit
it's not so much about the size of the drivers (to an extent) but more about the tuning. If your 12 inch sub has an internal cross over that allows it to function as a sub, then you should be okay, even with 12's on top. I prefer 12's on top, personally. But watch your volumes with that sub. I generally prefer 18's on the bottom with 12's or even 15's, but i'm usually running either a KD or even low synth through them.

Now, if you're like my former prog metal band, that 12 inch sub is really not going to cut for performance if you're using a lot of low end synth sounds, bass drops and such. You might start hearing the sub pop out louder levels, especially competing with a 9-piece kit. so watch your rehearsal volumes. Don't be too surprised if your sub starts lacking at metal band rehearsal volumes.

Are you guys running a click?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search