The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help building sufficient 4u Rack.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Help building sufficient 4u Rack.

Hey and thanks for reading. I plan on building a 4u equipment rack for my home studio that will also function for Live Shows. I would like some feedback on what I have in mind.

4u Rack

Scarlett 18i20

Scarlett OctoPre

I was also thinking about picking up a used Allen and Heath mixer as well.

So to my question... my thought is that the Interface and Expansion will give me enough inputs to mic drums, instruments, and vocals for studio purposes. Do I still need a mixer for live settings (mostly outdoor bars)? I use Logic Pro for my DAW with an iPad remote. Am I able to use this as a mixer for live situations or would I be better off getting a mixer. Would this mixer render the Scarlett Interface and Expansion useless in a live setting?

Side note, how does the Allen and Heath mixers mount to a rack? via shelf? I can’t find much info on the actual mounting portion.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Hi Buterjones

With the scarlet you 2 options of monitoring/mixing "In the box"

1. The scarrelt control panel that has a mixer builtin for all i/o. This control panel is direct out, it bypasses your DAW and is essentially zero latency. From my expeience it works fine for simple recording situations. You COULD mix throught this interface but I wouldn't.

2. mixing through the DAW will add too much latency for a live situation. This will not work for live singers/instruments.

So your next suggestion would be to get something like the Mixwiz 16, it has 16 direct outputs. You would mix the whole show through the mixer and capture from direct outs into you recording set up.

If you decide to try and mix through the Focusright control panel I would suggest at least 2 monitors. One with your DAW up and one with the control pannel up. But for the cost of a used allen heath 16 channel mixer, that's the way to go!

Mixwiz 16 is perfecet for small bars, vs lugging a 4IU case around, computer, extra monitor, cables, etc.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheLine View Post
With the scarlet you 2 options of monitoring/mixing "In the box"

2. mixing through the DAW will add too much latency for a live situation. This will not work for live singers/instruments.
Perhaps with Scarlet, but with RME UCX I have no problem running live sound for my band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheLine View Post
Mixwiz 16 is perfecet for small bars, vs lugging a 4IU case around, computer, extra monitor, cables, etc.
I have a 2U rack with RME UCX and Behringer ADA8200.
I bring that along with Macbook pro.

Works great, but you have to know what you're doing, more so on the stage.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

So I was just speaking with a local audio engineer and he recommended something along the lines of a Presonus Studio Live.

Any opinions on these mixers vs the MixWiz?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButerscotchJones View Post
So I was just speaking with a local audio engineer and he recommended something along the lines of a Presonus Studio Live.

Any opinions on these mixers vs the MixWiz?
Rent/borrow, try and decide for yourself because only your opinion counts, you will be spending your hard earned money and you will have to live with the decision.

I don't know what you're doing and how you want to do it, but generally speaking the right live sound console will be more useful and elegant that a cobbled together system. But again, everything depends on exactly what you want to do.

There are a couple of things you might want to consider when making this decision...will your studio gear survive the road, + if something breaks both your live rig and your studio will be out of commission.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search