The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
EV ZLX vs Yamaha DXR
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

EV ZLX vs Yamaha DXR

Shopping for a pair of new tops to be used with a single sub. This is for my personal family parties and occasional DJ gigs for up to about 150 people which will be very rare. Currently have a QSC Ksub and I will be using it till I replace it with a 18" sub of some sort down the road. So I'm trying to determine what would be the best sounding system for my purposes. Not looking to spend a ton of money. I've narrowed it down to a pair of EV ZLX 12P's or Yamaha DXR10's. I can get the EV's for $630 shipped to my door or the Yamaha's for $1080 shipped to my door. Yamaha has a $75 mail in rebate for each speaker so that would bring my total down to $930. Out of the two choices which do you guys recommend for a good sounding system? Any advice and input will be much appreciated.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have a pair of ZLX 12's and can say they are voiced nicely but do not get loud enough for FOH over full bands with drums etc.

I use them as stage monitors.

They would work fine for FOH for say bluegrass or acoustic bands etc. IMHO

I heard a pair of the Yamaha powered 12s a few weeks ago and I did not care for the pronounced midrange on them.
However, I have seen a lot of positive reviews from owners on other sound threads of the Yamaha powered speakers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Don't know the DXR but the ZLX 12 are not really good. I have 6 of those myself. I bought them for low budget monitor duty (for 250.- each new). But they loose against my DSR112 or the QSC K12.

But then, for personal family parties... why not.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The DXR series is going thru a mklll update...unfortunately @$50+ per speaker..and the original may no longer be available.
Maybe someone has inventory they need to shift. The rebate is available on both versions.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
The DXR series is going thru a mklll update...unfortunately @$50+ per speaker..and the original may no longer be available.
Maybe someone has inventory they need to shift. The rebate is available on both versions.
Think the mklll's will be worth the extra money? I'm trying to buy the best bang for the buck. Had thought about going with some QSC K10.2's but just don't want to spend that much money. Seems like at $930 for a brand new pair of DXR10's is hard to beat. What do you guys think?

I have some cheap behringer b215d's that I purchased used a few years back for cheap just for my house parties and they worked ok. But after using them along with the ksub this past weekend in a venue for a family birthday party I quickly realized that didn't like them. Now I'm on a mission to replace them with a better quality and sounding speaker that will eventually keep up with a single 18" sub.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Had both the DXR and ZLX here to test and much preferred the DXR. Didn't like the ZLX's and know a few people have who have had continuous reliability issues with several pairs of these.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

The new DXR10mkll are priced at $699. $465 for the old DXR10 seems like a great deal for me. Thanks everyone for the help and advice. Really appreciate it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search