The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Audio & Video playback from DAW for live performance
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Audio & Video playback from DAW for live performance

Hi all!
New member and first time poster, hopefully I’m in the right place!
So here’s the situation..
I play in an indie/synthpop band, in which I’m responsible for all synthesisers and electronic sounds. For this I’ve been entirely ‘in the box’ for live performance, using Logic Pro X on my early 2011 MacBook Pro.
In the logic X project I have one audio track which contains the full backing track for the entire set, and I have various midi tracks which I switch between for synth parts I’m actually playing live with my midi keyboard.
The time has come for us to include a visual element to the gigs, so I’ve created one long video for the entire set that is synchronised with audio backing track.
I’m wanting to send that video to the venue’s big screen/projector via the thunderbolt output (with hdmi adapter).
I have imported the video to the Logic X project, in line with the audio backing track and plugged the hdmi into my TV/set up the displays.
Now the problem..
when I press play on the project, both video and audio begin to play but then start to stutter and skip (not ideal for a gig!)
So my question is, how can I remedy this?
Is my MacBook just not powerful enough?
Is there alternative software I should be using for this live gig scenario?
Anyone with experience in this or any suggestions at all, I’d love to hear it!
Thanks in advance!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Stuttering suggests your computer is not up to this task.

You could try other software to see if it handles these elements better, that’s it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I am not a fan of Apple and only ever use PC for audio but there are some basic steps you can try without spending more money.

The most common culprits are not enough memory and not enough CPU power.
I am not sure how Logic works but I would think that preloaded a video clip into the program will eat up a lot of memory. Then play back of video and audio will tax your CPU.

Most laptops have what's called integrated GPUs, meaning that the laptop uses CPU power for graphics.
High end gaming laptops have dedicated GPUs.

If you have a performance metering program load it up and run your set up and see what your memory and CPU usage are at. This will show your a possible bottle neck.

If you find the bottleneck is memory then you need to:

A. Load up logic without the video loaded in, note how much memory is being used.
B. Load up Logic with the video loaded in, note how much memory is being used.

If the video is tanking your memory then the free solution is to render the video to the smallest size/lowest quality that still looks good enough.

If your memory is good but your CPU is being tanked then do this test.

a. Load up logic with video loaded. Note CPU usage.
b. Load up Logic with the lower quality video and note CPU usage.

If you still are having trouble then the last thing you could try is loading up a "bare bones" version of your GIG in logic.
Can you not preload gigabytes worth of samples into memory?

Can you lower the sample rate of LOGIC thus freeing up your CPU.

What is the sample rate of your GIG in logic?

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...train-your-cpu
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Stuttering suggests your computer is not up to this task.

You could try other software to see if it handles these elements better, that’s it.
Thanks very much for the response, any recommendations on another software which might be better?
Cheers!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheLine View Post
I am not a fan of Apple and only ever use PC for audio but there are some basic steps you can try without spending more money.

The most common culprits are not enough memory and not enough CPU power.
I am not sure how Logic works but I would think that preloaded a video clip into the program will eat up a lot of memory. Then play back of video and audio will tax your CPU.

Most laptops have what's called integrated GPUs, meaning that the laptop uses CPU power for graphics.
High end gaming laptops have dedicated GPUs.

If you have a performance metering program load it up and run your set up and see what your memory and CPU usage are at. This will show your a possible bottle neck.

If you find the bottleneck is memory then you need to:

A. Load up logic without the video loaded in, note how much memory is being used.
B. Load up Logic with the video loaded in, note how much memory is being used.

If the video is tanking your memory then the free solution is to render the video to the smallest size/lowest quality that still looks good enough.

If your memory is good but your CPU is being tanked then do this test.

a. Load up logic with video loaded. Note CPU usage.
b. Load up Logic with the lower quality video and note CPU usage.

If you still are having trouble then the last thing you could try is loading up a "bare bones" version of your GIG in logic.
Can you not preload gigabytes worth of samples into memory?

Can you lower the sample rate of LOGIC thus freeing up your CPU.

What is the sample rate of your GIG in logic?

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...train-your-cpu
Thanks very much for the detailed response, i'll certainly give this a go!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search