The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
sidefills! really?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
...and if you're a musician on the stage you cry.
speaking of showing respect for musicians (or actually the purpose of what we are doing which imo first and foremost is to make the musicians happy):

earlier this year i had a lightie on a festival who after the sound check told one musician of a fairly well know jazz band that he'd have to move to another position on stage for the concert?! - the musician, somewhat amused, somewhat puzzled asked why that should be the case and the lightie said: 'cause i already oriented the spots in the front truss to illuminate a different section of the stage!

the anouncement of the band and a little introduction to the first composition then came out of the dark before the lightie adjusted one of the many moving lights on another truss... - the promotor found it less funny than the musician: he was clearly not amused and fired the lightie the same night - true story!

the musician btw was the band leader... :-)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
- true story!
I had a ver similar experience last summer at a jazz festival with a very well known artist and his band. We arrived to setup and soundcheck only to have light guy tell the band leader that they would have to adjust their positions because he made a generic light setup for the festival, the artist was not amused and said no, they would not change their setup. Light guy started to explain that it would take too much time to readjust and it would be better if the band cooperated with him etc.

Not in the mood to take any crap especially after a long journey, I called the stage manager and informed him that we would go back to the hotel and they could call us when they were actually ready for us. Light guy was promptly relieved of his duties and his replacement made the necessary changes in short order and it was smooth sailing after.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Front speakers, side fills on the stage, side fills for the crowd (what are the secondary hands called?)

Now they need up fills and back fills

My old pastor was at a REO show.
Attached Thumbnails
sidefills! really?-reo.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheLine View Post
Front speakers, side fills on the stage, side fills for the crowd (what are the secondary hands called?)
these are outfills or side hangs.

[i don't like the latter term as much though as it may lead to confusion when someone uses abbreviations and just talks abouts 'sides': now which sides, mains shooting to the sides or side fills shooting onto the stage? - depends on context a bit though: i'm okay if a system designer refers to mains, center and sides (plus delays) and uses the term 'fills' for smaller subsystems such as frontfills, sidefills etc. - and possibly doesn't care much about the sidefills anyway as they are part of the monitor world]

btw: the (one) sidewall of the venue doesn't seem to be very far from the stage, the outfills rather large and the orientation kinda strange then, shooting into the sidewall... - or is it just in the pic?

the side fills are pretty massive and look like they could be used to slam the entire stage with massive spl - i wouldn't like them as an engineer but if that's what the band is into...

thx for posting!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
As stated above, these are out-fills because they fill outside the coverage of the main hang...and yeah that is a lot of side fills.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Looks cooler lit up

Side fills
out fills
down fills
dr phils
Attached Thumbnails
sidefills! really?-show.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looks cooler lit up
Yeah, but did it 'sound' better...?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Yeah, but did it 'sound' better...?
When you ask someone how it sounded and they use two words that have no relation to sound quality.

LOUD and I could feel the music in my chest.

And this is coming from a musician who has some understanding of tone and spectral balance.

Typical rock show I guess, I wonder if the out-fills, and side-fills were all being run full range/crossed over same as main hangs.

Having them all x-overed the same would cause a 9db(?) boost where the cabs go omni directional.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

system alignment

Quote:
(...)Having them all x-overed the same would cause a 9db(?) boost where the cabs go omni directional.
that's VERY unlikely* for several reasons and would only happen under theoretical ideal (or worst) conditions: no mains are really full range/we dunno any details on the system and even less the x-over settings - but more importantly, the overall pattern (of combined arrays) always gets distorted, especially in the low end (where positioning of multiple cabinets defines the radiation pattern - see sub arrays), line arrays usually get compensated for lf coupling within their own (often right from the start via presets on dsp amps) and if the system tech knows his/her business, arrays first get measured induvidually but then of course for their combined response - by the very latest by then, lf levels get (re-)adjusted! and hopefully, the tech is using his/her ears as well: what measures best does not necessarily need to sound best (which is why one should not rely on automated alignment - both topics which better should get discussed in other/new threads though)...

...before the foh engineer then might apply his/her his preferred 'house' curve and throw off the system to some degree again (another topic...)!

* i agree however that if one would stick a measurement mic behind the cabinets, where mains, oufills and sidefills combine, it sure would show a rather weird curve with lots of energy towards the lower frequencies and also that there are some places in the venue where lf build up (or cancellation) can get experienced (which is why i often mention that it's not possible for everyone in the audience to experience the same sound - certainly not with such a setup)!

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 1 week ago at 09:42 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

request for sidefills

i'll be jumping in tomorrow to mix monitors for a band (of tarantino fame) which got a pretty simple request for sidefills on their rider - it says:

'sidefills on stages wider than 12m'

now that's something i can easily deal with: the gig is on small raft, so no sidefills! (or for folks speaking german: die fallen im wörtlichen sinn ins wasser!) :-)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search