The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recommendations for new live rig (fests & clubs)
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Recommendations for new live rig (fests & clubs)

Good afternoon Slutz,

I've previously worked for a regional production company and looking to build a rig of my own to cover local and regional clubs and outdoor festivals. I will not be doing anything that will require filling equipment by a rider. Looking for a recommended system to cover such venues.

Budget for mains/FOH is $15k, excluding mixer. I've already got a SQ6 w/ stage boxes. There are so many options right now, it's hard to discern what makes the most sense. I'd like to get something that can scale regardless of my venue (club/fest). Do I buy something ground stacked, or ground stacked subs and vertical cabs that can be flown or stacked on a 2x18 sub? Powered or unpowered? Brand?

The usual suspects I've looked at thus far for such a case are Turbosound Madrid, DAS Event, JBL, & QSC.

Thoughts?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

2x JBL SRX835P 3000.00

4x SRX828SP 8000.00

Monitors JBL prx812W's work great for monitors. As many as you need and you can buy B stock. 500-700 a piece.

You need mic cables and mics/stands also? You could start out with two of the SRX dual 18 subs instead of four.

Ground stack and you can throw the SRX835P's up on speaker stands or stand a sub on end and put it on that.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFireProd View Post
Good afternoon Slutz,

I've previously worked for a regional production company and looking to build a rig of my own to cover local and regional clubs and outdoor festivals. I will not be doing anything that will require filling equipment by a rider. Looking for a recommended system to cover such venues.

Budget for mains/FOH is $15k, excluding mixer. I've already got a SQ6 w/ stage boxes. There are so many options right now, it's hard to discern what makes the most sense. I'd like to get something that can scale regardless of my venue (club/fest). Do I buy something ground stacked, or ground stacked subs and vertical cabs that can be flown or stacked on a 2x18 sub? Powered or unpowered? Brand?

The usual suspects I've looked at thus far for such a case are Turbosound Madrid, DAS Event, JBL, & QSC.

Thoughts?
IME, $15K for what you describe is about half-way to where you should be starting. My considered opinion is to take a longer view and hire gear for a season or two until you get a better idea of what will make sense. After all, if you're doing this as a business or on a business-like basis, these things should pay for themselves either as you go or for the term of a justifiabl business loan for purchase.

30 years ago I invested $30K in a speaker system and FOH. The system still functions as it ever did and to me sounds better than the average system today.
You still can't beat a good, clean system pushed by Macrotech amps...

Edit:

If you're going for scalability, look for what brands/models are stocked by the big boys in your area, get a basic rig of that stuff and hire up for more output/coverage as required.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
... Unless you have to move it.
I do have a soft spot for Macrotechs, though - got a nearly-mint 5002VZ that I can't quite bring myself to sell, even though I never use it.

My racks are all class D these days.

To the OP, there are lots of options out there. My recommendation would be to buy whatever will do the majority of your gigs, and then rent a tonne (literal) of Nexo Alpha for the big gigs. There's no point in having a huge system where most of it gathers dust 364 days a year.

Chris
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy View Post
2x JBL SRX835P 3000.00

4x SRX828SP 8000.00

Monitors JBL prx812W's work great for monitors. As many as you need and you can buy B stock. 500-700 a piece.

You need mic cables and mics/stands also? You could start out with two of the SRX dual 18 subs instead of four.

Ground stack and you can throw the SRX835P's up on speaker stands or stand a sub on end and put it on that.
Thanks for the suggestion. I do like the idea of active speakers and not having to drag an amp rack around. The outfit I was working for ran all QSC - KLA for the small-med stuff and Wideline flown w/ ground stacked GP218 subs for the the festival stuff with dLive at FOH.

I've not heard that class of JBL live in years, and I believe the guy who was using them had the MRX's. Wasn't real impressed. I did like the Widelines... VERY smooth and pleasing.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

JBL SRX are not bad for what they are...which is a non-scalable setup limted to 2 tops/side when you reuire 180 degree coverage. You cannot scale up for more output, simply wider coverage. As such they will not really have any cross-rental value like truly scalable speakers.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
IME, $15K for what you describe is about half-way to where you should be starting. My considered opinion is to take a longer view and hire gear for a season or two until you get a better idea of what will make sense. After all, if you're doing this as a business or on a business-like basis, these things should pay for themselves either as you go or for the term of a justifiabl business loan for purchase.

30 years ago I invested $30K in a speaker system and FOH. The system still functions as it ever did and to me sounds better than the average system today.

Edit:

If you're going for scalability, look for what brands/models are stocked by the big boys in your area, get a basic rig of that stuff and hire up for more output/coverage as required.
Thanks, Wyllys... That is the idea, for them to pay for themselves. The big boys in my area are running EV X-Lines, K2's & Karas. Another friend who does festivals is still running his TFL780's/TSW21s powered by the old Crowns. He went digital and traded in his Venice for a Pro. Otherwise same mains he had 20 years ago. These are out of my price. I don't have ambitions of doing big touring acts where I'd need something like the X's. May I ask what you're running for your mains?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy View Post
2x JBL SRX835P 3000.00

4x SRX828SP 8000.00

Thanks for your time and input, Pro Sound Guy... I've got a full mic locker of my own and all the stands, monitors and cables. Primarily just looking to build out some mains. What is your feeling on the RCF HDL10's? I talked to a guy down in Atlanta that is running these with Turbosound TMS218Bs on sub duty with 6002's pushing them and loves it. Are the DAS Events junk?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFireProd View Post
Thanks, Wyllys... That is the idea, for them to pay for themselves. The big boys in my area are running EV X-Lines, K2's & Karas. Another friend who does festivals is still running his TFL780's/TSW21s powered by the old Crowns. He went digital and traded in his Venice for a Pro. Otherwise same mains he had 20 years ago. These are out of my price. I don't have ambitions of doing big touring acts where I'd need something like the X's. May I ask what you're running for your mains?
I'm selling off all my stuff for installs and such. If I had to un-retire and get back into the fray I would hire in racks and stacks from a local house. If the jobs are real jobs with a real financing you can simply pay crew to do the heavy lifting.

Probably wouldn't hurt to,audit a few business classes.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

No disrespect intended to the OP, but you seem a bit all over the place throwing out the names of various different types of gear.

It seems like you already have some of the important parts of your infrastructure. I know it's not the sexy option, but hiring in racks and stacks for at least a few gigs seems like the easiest way to see what the pros use in the various venues you'll be working.

Hiring in let's you see what's getting used locally (ie for cross-rental compatability of future purchases) and gives you the opportunity to ask questions to become better informed around the types and brands of gear that will best suit your needs, if you finally decide to make a big investment.

Personally were I in your situation, I'd be happy to let others take care of transporting, rigging, storing and dealing with depreciation. If you are charging the right amount for your services, you should still be able to turn a good profit whilst sub-hiring in systems to suit each individual event.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search