The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Venue changed pay w/o notice
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Venue changed pay w/o notice

What's up, slutz?

This is more of a straight-up business question, but how would you handle this situation:

I've done 4 gigs for a venue for a negotiated price of $350 per show. One band, about two hours of music. One show was two bands and they upped it--unasked--to $450. It's me and two other guys; I pay them $100 each and keep $150 since I mix and own the gear.

This last show, I get the check and it's for $300. Their response was that since the band provided their own mixer, they'd get a discount. I don't want to be a sticky wicket, as the gig is good and the venue is usually very accommodating, but my costs are the same whether I mix it or not. Plus, I already had established expectations with my guys. The venue didn't tell me ahead of time, so I can't change their pay after the fact.

Do I just eat the $50 and let it slide? Do I let it slide but let them know that's not cool for next time? Or do I make them pay the $50 (which they sort of offered to do)? I know in the grand scheme of things, $50 isn't a big deal, but it's kind of the principle, no?

I'd be interested in your thoughts/experiences. Thanks!

Cheers,
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sit down with them and go over things. Strike a mutually acceptable agreement, put it in writitng, both sign. Make it a seasonal or yearly contract. Also define liability issues. You should have liability insurance for your business, he for his. If you're leaving ANY gear in the venue when you're not present, be sure to have serial #'s and photos of everything in case you get locked out for whatever reason. You may well need to prove that your gear is not part of the venues assets should they get closed down for some reason.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Even with photos, things may disappear, especially if they close down, and then who is going to give him access and when, if ever? What does he tell his insurance if he wants make a claim that something went missing? I wouldnt leave anything valuable that is really needed without delay.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
It's complicated. Are you willing to lose a regular gig on principle?

I'd take a softly softly approach and try looking at it from the venue's point of view. Regular gigs can be hard to come by.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Talk to them. Tell them what you told us, about your fixed labor costs. Fair chance they'll spring for the whole $50.

Let that gel for a minute or two, expound on some different subject, let them FEEL the loss of the full $50.

THEN tell them no, let's split it. Show them you see THIER SIDE TOO, and that you appreciate their fairness.

THEN, negotiate a long term deal, and put it in writing, all based on a solid foundation of mutual respect.

Since this is a hypothetical outcome, have Plan B, (they tell you to eat **** and die), and Plan C (they offer $500 extra) in place... be ready for anything.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpaldridge View Post
What's up, slutz?

This is more of a straight-up business question, but how would you handle this situation:

I've done 4 gigs for a venue for a negotiated price of $350 per show. One band, about two hours of music. One show was two bands and they upped it--unasked--to $450. It's me and two other guys; I pay them $100 each and keep $150 since I mix and own the gear.

This last show, I get the check and it's for $300. Their response was that since the band provided their own mixer, they'd get a discount. I don't want to be a sticky wicket, as the gig is good and the venue is usually very accommodating, but my costs are the same whether I mix it or not. Plus, I already had established expectations with my guys. The venue didn't tell me ahead of time, so I can't change their pay after the fact.

Do I just eat the $50 and let it slide? Do I let it slide but let them know that's not cool for next time? Or do I make them pay the $50 (which they sort of offered to do)? I know in the grand scheme of things, $50 isn't a big deal, but it's kind of the principle, no?

I'd be interested in your thoughts/experiences. Thanks!

Cheers,
You are being ripped off. Plain English.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
We're in an Industry that "rips off" the talent as a matter of principle.
Bands "paying to play" is common practice and a regular paid gig is like hens teeth.

I'd like to hear back from the OP before coming to a solid conclusion yet I'd still be taking a very softly softly approach to this situation. If you lose this regular gig will you also lose the band?
What does the band mean to you?

I'm a professional busker and as such one of the best paid professional musicians going, not that that's saying much. If this is just about the money then start busking.
Old 1 week ago
If there is no written contract as to payment and the amount then you are at their mercy. Never assume that just because you got paid a certain amount it will continue.

I like written contracts with amounts specified. If you don't want to do this then you will get paid what they think appropriate.

We did a weekly gig for a number of years and then a new management came in and decided that we were being overpaid so they basically cut our pay in half. We were told that we could "take it or leave" We chose to leave. After two or three weeks of bad audio they called us and agreed to our old rate but we said going forward we wanted more and they gave in. It worked in this case but it could of backfired. Do what you think best for you and your employees.

FWIW
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search