The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Office basement needs music (ie speakers), where to start?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Office basement needs music (ie speakers), where to start?

Hello everyone,

I hope this is in the right forum (or even on the right website).
I made an account here to ask about the following:

My office is going to turn the basement into a place where us employees can have their lunch, where we can have lectures and meetings, and where we can have our monthly drinks.

For that last purpose the basement will have a small bar with some stools and probably a lounge corner or some such, but more importantly, for that last purpose we'd like to have some music with our drinks and be able to let the drinks evolve into a little party as desired.

The basement is about 7x9 meters (21x27 feet) and there will be a max of 40/50 people, more usually 20ish.
Music will just be Spotify playing.
As this is an office in the legal branch and business connections will also visit the basement for meetings/lectures, the appearance of whatever we do speaker-wise needs to be fitting.

At first I was thinking, as we don't need club-level SPL, a couple of good hi-fi-speakers or studio-monitors might do. Then I figured that for this purpose PA-speakers are really what we'd want, given the room size, there being a Public to Address, and to guard against colleagues going gung-ho on the volume knob and breaking stuff.
However, we do still value quality of sound vs quantity of sound.

So, to the question:
- would we be well served with 2 tops and a sub, something like 2x QSC K8.2 + KS112, or,
- would we be better served with one of those column-type PA-systems like the Db technologies ES1203, or
- are both totally wrong for our needs (overkill, or too cheap, or not the right kind of speakers, rubbish sound quality at lower volumes, or whatever...)

Pros of the column-type speakers would be a more elegant look and more even spread of the sound. Con would be that we might be compromising sound and/or spending more for the portability of these systems, which we don't need.

Edit: I also considered having a professional do the sound bit, but that feels like overdoing it a bit for this purpose?

We don't have a set budget at the moment as we're not really sure of what we'd need yet, but obviously the music is a secondary function of the room and the occasional party is just for fun. I personally do appreciate quality sound, but as I said it doesn't need to be club-level loud. If say an LD Systems Dave 10 G3 would do the trick then we'd be happy not to spend more, but I can probably convince the management to spend whatever is reasonable for the setting (but let's say 3k euros for the speakers is max, just to have some reference point).

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Last edited by Legalese; 3 weeks ago at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Additional consideration
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

You haven't said where you are, but your budget implies you may be mainland Europe?

Don't forget that you'll almost certainly need to get a license to play copyright music in a situation like this. In the UK, the PRS have been very effective in ensuring that companies are licensed which, in turn, ensures musicians get paid. And, given your company's line of business, you'll want to be compliant.

Back to kit, a lot will depend on the acoustics of the room and how loud you really want to be able to go. Also, as it's a workplace, you want your installation to be safe. To achieve the aesthetics you mention, and to be safe, you want to employ professionals to install. Better still, get them to design, as your company should have the budget to do this properly.

Yes the QSC kit you've got will provide decent output - but it may be that you'd expect more clubby levels. And just putting kit in without treating the room may not give you the best result.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'd go for near-field speakers in a room that small.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated. Licensing was indeed one of the first words on the table .

I will give professional installation and design in consideration to management.

Re: near-field speakers. Does this mean monitors or are there specific near-field pa models? (pardon my ignorance)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Have you considered columns??
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

If by columns you mean the 'stick PA' type affairs as mentioned in my original post then yes, they definitely caught my interest. Do you think these generally would be more suitable than traditional speakers?
If you're referring to some other type of column speaker then I'd be interested in hearing about that (again, pardon my ignorance...)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalese View Post
If by columns you mean the 'stick PA' type affairs as mentioned in my original post then yes, they definitely caught my interest. Do you think these generally would be more suitable than traditional speakers?
If you're referring to some other type of column speaker then I'd be interested in hearing about that (again, pardon my ignorance...)
I was thinking something like the LD Systems Maui5
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ceiling speakers are being used in installations such as you described.
Attached Thumbnails
Office basement needs music (ie speakers), where to start?-ceiling.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyage.One View Post
I was thinking something like the LD Systems Maui5
Yeah those have been on my radar, specifically the db es503/1203, ld curv500, rcf evox5/8, ld maui 28, ev evolve 50 and hk gala (in various price bands as you see).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy View Post
Ceiling speakers are being used in installations such as you described.
That would also tick many boxes. Are they combined with subwoofers for lower frequencies?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The only content that would carry sub frequencies is playing music through the system for your lounge activities.
You could certainly put a sub or two in the corners of the room for this.
The nice thing about ceiling speakers is areas of the room can be treated as zones and you can control the volume to
areas of the room.
For meetings you do not need subs.
You can hang them in a pendant setup or mount them into the ceiling.

JBL C65P/T Compact Full-Range Hanging Pendant Speaker.
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Compact-F...64466553&psc=1

JBL Control 26CT 6.5" Ceiling Speakers
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...RoCgtsQAvD_BwE
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the suggestions!
We're having a meeting on this in a week or two, I feel like I have a bunch of options to put forward. Will be pushing for a professional install.
I'll be sure to get back to you guys with the results when the basement is operational (after summer) and might have some more questions before that.

Again, thanks all, much appreciated.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search