The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Building PA for Rehearsal space, Live Rock band
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Building PA for Rehearsal space, Live Rock band

Hello everyone!

I am needing to work towards building up a PA for a live rock/hard rock band.

Currently I have some antique junk that isn't working all that well in our rehearsal space (my home basement). The "PA" struggles to keep up with live drums and doesn't really handle E Drums, once a drummer is added everything starts to mush up and vocals become a crap shoot.

I don't have the ability to run out and buy a complete system in one purchase so I will have to pick it up piece by piece and am patient enough to wait for holiday sales. Say $1,000 every 2-3 months to start with. I would rather buy higher quality stuff than cheap junk just to get me by, and don't mind saving for more expensive gear.

I plan to build around what I currently have and replace as I can.

Initial need is rehearsal monitoring.

What I have been looking at:

JBL EON 612 ($299 on sale)
JBL PRX 812 ($599 on sale)
Yamaha DXR12 ($685)
QSC K 12.2 ($799)

I am pretty the EON is bottom of the barrel compared to the others I listed, but I could get a pair for what one of the rest cost, but again if money is better spent on the others I will go that route.

I am trying to gather info on the Turbosound and RCF, But I just read about them today.

I think my idea is to get speakers I can use for monitors right now and expand from there. I have this idea of keeping the same size for mains and monitors for interchangeability.

If I can get some recommendations on what to get, or how I should plan this out better, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
How loud is the band in rehearsal, without adding vocals? If you don’t have a sound level meter, you can download an app. I use SLA lite, which is surprisingly accurate on a newer iPhone.
That’s a good thing to know before you start buying speakers. If, for example, the band averages 125 db, C weighted, the JBL Eons won’t get your monitors over that, unless you strap a pair on as headphones.
Speaking of headphones... Is your band open to trying in-ear monitoring? That is much cheaper and won’t make you deaf nearly as quickly as overloud mush in a basement (apologies if you have a great sounding basement.).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Why do you want mains as well as monitors for a rehearsal venue?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
How loud is the band in rehearsal, without adding vocals? If you don’t have a sound level meter, you can download an app. I use SLA lite, which is surprisingly accurate on a newer iPhone.
That’s a good thing to know before you start buying speakers. If, for example, the band averages 125 db, C weighted, the JBL Eons won’t get your monitors over that, unless you strap a pair on as headphones.
Speaking of headphones... Is your band open to trying in-ear monitoring? That is much cheaper and won’t make you deaf nearly as quickly as overloud mush in a basement (apologies if you have a great sounding basement.).
I have not bothered to measure it yet, the current drummer has really good control over his volume. Its loud in here, but not overbearing... have not had an issue with ears ringing after practice.

Without going into a long drawn out back story, in my area the available musician pool has really dried up especially vocals, and I have hit a point where the only way I can see myself getting to do what I want is to become the vocalist. I have spent a lot of time over the past year developing my vocals and Im pretty close to being able to do full time guitar/vocals. One area I am struggling with is, I need the volume to be able to sing into so I can sound decent, when I try to sing at lower volumes, or while wearing headphones I lose a lot of projection and power and the end result is not something I want to torture people I consider friends with.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecSp View Post
Why do you want mains as well as monitors for a rehearsal venue?
I am looking to build up a system that will be able to be used to play out. Around here a couple of the "entry" clubs, have no house sound... I would guess 150ish people size.

My train of thought, was to use the same cabs for mains and monitors, so we can just keep adding to it as budget allows and band needs grow.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyW View Post
I have not bothered to measure it yet, the current drummer has really good control over his volume. Its loud in here, but not overbearing... have not had an issue with ears ringing after practice.

One area I am struggling with is, I need the volume to be able to sing into so I can sound decent, when I try to sing at lower volumes, or while wearing headphones I lose a lot of projection and power and the end result is not something I want to torture people I consider friends with.
Thanks. If you do measure and report on practice volume, the advice you get on monitors would be much easier to sort.
As to needing the volume to “sing into”, I’ve seen that argument mostly from new singers who really don’t want to hear themselves very clearly. It leads to thinking your vocal sounds great in and against the roar of the band, which is good for confidence. But it often leads to sloppiness with pitch and enunciation. When the band records live multitrack, singers are sometimes very embarrassed to hear their singing as it really is.
The whole point of vocal monitoring is to hear yourself clearly. Using in-ears or headphones doesn’t mean singing or listening at a lower volume. It does mean having Better CONTROL of the listening volume. Headphones and in-ears can be very, very loud. It’s usually cheaper to buy louder headphones or a better headphone amp than to buy louder monitors.
Torturing yourself, your band mates and your friends is usually a part of the process of getting good at what you’re doing.
Have fun!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks. If you do measure and report on practice volume, the advice you get on monitors would be much easier to sort.
As to needing the volume to “sing into”, I’ve seen that argument mostly from new singers who really don’t want to hear themselves very clearly. It leads to thinking your vocal sounds great in and against the roar of the band, which is good for confidence. But it often leads to sloppiness with pitch and enunciation. When the band records live multitrack, singers are sometimes very embarrassed to hear their singing as it really is.
The whole point of vocal monitoring is to hear yourself clearly. Using in-ears or headphones doesn’t mean singing or listening at a lower volume. It does mean having Better CONTROL of the listening volume. Headphones and in-ears can be very, very loud. It’s usually cheaper to buy louder headphones or a better headphone amp than to buy louder monitors.
Torturing yourself, your band mates and your friends is usually a part of the process of getting good at what you’re doing.
Have fun!
Thank you. I am a new singer and you're probably 100% dead on, its very strange how fragile confidence can be while trying to move into a new territory.

Though, If I am looking for something to be able to use in a live format, say 200ish people venue, wouldn't that work also in a rehearsal space?

I just took and ran some audio through the system and matched it to what my mic was set at from the last practice and it was peaking at 95db but was pretty muddy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Hey there,

We currently run Yamaha 16" and 10" boxes for PA for live events. You do not want to go the route of cheaping out on the JBL Boxes as they are priced there for a reason. But the large Yamaha boxes are LUNKERS, and also sound pretty garbage for the price point. We nabbed them cheaply by buying closeout. They are honestly a last-ditch rental item for most of our shows.

Honestly if you're running powered boxes in a rehearsal space, they should do the double-duty of being a live performance or rental option. QSC are the way to go, and they'll last forever and keep their value better than the JBL stuff ever will. A set of 2 QSC is enough to reproduce a live-set 4-piece, although you will still require a set of subwoofers and an amp to get any kind of bass/kick feel on stage. For reference, we've done jazz, 4-piece brass, cello/vocals, and acoustic sets through our 16" and they sound "fine". Same with weddings, small DJ rigs, lounges or corporate gigs...you definitely want the 12's minimum for the best low-end.

Rock/Dance/Alt/Country, you are not going to get any kind of decent reproduction value out of a set of powered boxes, should just treat it as rehearsal rig and try to grab/book gigs with a full rig and do your recordings and videos there.

That said, your rehearsal setup may never see the light of event day, and therefore it might not be worth the $2000 on a set of speakers/stands. Industry prefers to use smaller-sized boxes or wedges as on-stage monitors (out of space constraints more than audio fidelity), but you can dump your PA boxes sideways on the deck and you now have your monitor mixes with a PA and sound colour you are comfortable with.

Would recommend looking into a EQ/desk as well if you decide to go the budget route on the powered boxes, as you can tweak even ****ty Yamaha into a listenable zone if you have a full 20-band EQ to play with.

Last edited by kzmusic; 4 weeks ago at 07:51 PM.. Reason: add info about pa vs. monitor
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I didn't know that Yamaha had a 16" speaker on the market...what is a "full 20-band EQ"? Both JBL and Yamaha have been manufacturing commercial sound equipment for over 40 years now. Some of their gear is great, some is pretty much worthless, but I wouldn't dismiss either brand name so broadly without offering which models/series you are referring to.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
just took and ran some audio through the system and matched it to what my mic was set at from the last practice and it was peaking at 95db but was pretty muddy.
Your test method is telling you something different than what you wrote. A live rock band in a basement is usually going to hit around 120 db C weighted WITHOUT RUNNING THROUGH THE SYSTEM.
if your system starts to get muddy at 95 db, it is completely inadequate as a rock monitor system. You will never get your voice up over the band.
Make sure you are monitoring with C weighting.

I think the JBL powered Eon 10s and 12s can be adequate vocal-only monitors for some bands, but it depends very much on the ambient sound level the band creates.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Your test method is telling you something different than what you wrote. A live rock band in a basement is usually going to hit around 120 db C weighted WITHOUT RUNNING THROUGH THE SYSTEM.
if your system starts to get muddy at 95 db, it is completely inadequate as a rock monitor system. You will never get your voice up over the band.
Make sure you are monitoring with C weighting.

I think the JBL powered Eon 10s and 12s can be adequate vocal-only monitors for some bands, but it depends very much on the ambient sound level the band creates.
What do you mean by C weighting?

I know 95 is fairly low for a rock band. That was just to try and get some frame of reference, I turned on the PA and ran an audio track through it and tried to adjust to how my mic compared against it (mic in same position and faders on board haven't been moved). Like I was saying in my original post, this system isn't strong enough to push over a drummer. I have acoustic and e-drums here, and some guys like the e-drums and other guys have liked the acoustic. I have the capabilities of being near silent without vocals by using cab modeling for my guitar and the e-drums. I prefer to use my cab, and I prefer having as much going through the system as I can because it keeps everything under control better, I don't mind dropping mics on stuff for practice as I would rather practice how I intend to play out so I can get use to that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
What do you mean by C weighting?
Sound level meters have filtering on the mic input. The default on many is A weighting, which rolls off most of the bass and responds best to the human voice range. It is useful in setting volumes for, among many things, an announcer at a public event or paging systems in stores. C weighting is intended for music and restores much of the low frequencies.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Sound level meters have filtering on the mic input. The default on many is A weighting, which rolls off most of the bass and responds best to the human voice range. It is useful in setting volumes for, among many things, an announcer at a public event or paging systems in stores. C weighting is intended for music and restores much of the low frequencies.
Ok, so on the SPL meter I take it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Ok, so on the SPL meter I take it?
Yes.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search