The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Single powered sub for small to medium clubs
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Single powered sub for small to medium clubs

Hi, and thanks

The nice old JBL's are great but not handling kick and bass guitar too well - sounds like 15" woofers are going more than full excursion and aggrivating our audience with a very prominent "bocking" sound.

I'd be very interested in recommendations for a single powered sub that could take those Kick and lower bass guitar fundamentals and leave the rest for the JBL's. Unfortunatley, space/truck constraints would make having 2 subs about impossible.

The up side is that we are a 3 piece classic rock band that never plays anything bigger than small-to-medium rooms and clubs. Our volume is moderate but we do mic up the kick drum and line in the bass guitar as well as a bass amp.

I've heard some active subwoorer models out there should be avoided like the plague so yeah, I don't want to cheap out on anything that sounds like a big, boomy piece of ****. We are will to go second hand with something that is known for decent quality - it doesn't have to be the best either.
We have a Crown power amp with an internal crossover should that be helpful.
I've really only used Mackie subs in other bands that have thier own internal crossover. I don't know it there is a powered sub with no crossover and we could just send the low frequencies directly from the Crown to the subs. I have to assume that a Crown amp claiming internal crossover will offer two seperate outputs, above and below the selected frequency.

If I were blowing it out my rear I'd spring for something 800-1000 watts with at least a 15" woofer if not an 18".
Please feel free to straighten me out on this. We could spend up to $500.00 give or take. I'm willing to go used for something that performs better.

Thank you!
Phil Donovan
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Since you have an amp with basic crossover and already use JBL tops, I'd look for something on the used market.

The SR4718/9x were pretty popular, but at that age check the driver is correct (I think it's a 2242 but you can easily check up). The SRX700 successors were even better, mainly due to their relative light weight. I don't see them come up for sale used much though, probably as owners are quite happy to hold on to them.

There will be a ton of less capable (but still very heavy) used subs available from folks like Yamaha and Peavey. Nothing wrong with them in good working order per se, but they generally need to be used in multiples of double 18s to get acceptably loud, whilst they'll never get low enough for contemporary tastes. Could work for a band, but try before you buy!

Forget about Watts for now. You want the most sensitive speaker you can afford, for maximum efficiency. If the W number quoted is related to your amp, don't worry about matching a sub to that number.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Can you transport an 18" sub. The SRX718 was a really good sub, but not really small. Can you provide max dimensions for the sub?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I see a lot more 1 over 2 per side club rigs, than 2 over 1. While I like what a single sub or sub array, center stage, does for room response in Mapp XT, I'm not sure that a lower budget, small sub will bring the kind of happiness that a $500 expenditure might be hoping for.

No matter where you're based, there's probably a fairly well connected sound tech community, and while there's always competition, there's usually a lot of cooperation too.

You might try to leverage this to try before you buy, and maybe save some disappointment.

Failing that, the right purchase now might open the door to adding additional same model units down the road till you get the low end where you want it.

With your transpo limitations, the "right purchase" decision might include size consideration, as in "throw the second sub in the guitar player's trunk."
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

If you are pushing your main PA speakers to hard with a lot of LOW end energy you should try using a subsonic filter.

I have read a "rule of thumb" for ported boxes to to filter them down at or 1/2 octave below the port frequency.

So if your speakers are ported at 45hz you could try a sub-sonic filter at 35-45hz depending on what is best.

DBX manual
"If you’re configuring a simple full-range system (not requiring any active crossover settings) then you don’t necessarily need
to enter any speaker tuning parameters. However, it is a good idea to take note of the speaker’s frequency response spec
and set the high pass filter in the PA2’s crossover at the lower frequency specified (35 Hz, for example). This will prevent the
subsonic low-end from robbing you of headroom in your amp and prevent the loudspeakers from trying to reproduce extremely
low frequencies which they are not capable of reproducing."

I would start with this and see if it gets you where you want to be.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search