The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Shure sm58 vs Sennheiser e835
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Addict

Shure sm58 vs Sennheiser e835

I was re-evaluating the PA system for our small gaming/sci-fi convention, and decided to put together a cost-benefit analysis for purchasing one.

I'm debating between the Shure SM58 and Sennheiser e835. We currently rent SM58s, but I'm not married to them, so I was looking at other general purpose stage mics.

Anyone got any suggestions between the two, or others I hadn't considered? IF (big if) we move to buy, I'd get about 5 of them.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

Between those two, I think the e835's are a little better (smoother) sounding than SM58's. Both are decently sturdy and hold up fairly well physically (the SM58 in particular being rather hard to kill). There are plenty of better microphones than either one, though most of them are also more expensive.

The Lewitt MTP550 has a lot of praise and is in the same general price range; it's one I would consider in your shoes. I don't (yet) have any personal experience with it, so can't say much of anything specific about it.
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear
Hate the 835. SM58 over 835 any day.
Old 9th June 2019
Gear Maniac

I like the 835's.....

I have more than a dozen e835's in my inventory.
Most of them were purchased 10+ years ago when "3 packs" were selling for $129.00
They are my go-to vocal mic for most of my local band gigs.
I also have sm58's for the few vocalists that request them.
They have held up well over the years.

IMO the 835 is a solid middle-of-the-road mic that sounds fine for most of my local applications.

FWIW: Last evening, I used an 835 as THE podium mic for an outdoor high school graduation ceremony (1200 or so attendees on a high school baseball field)
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
The Lewitt MTP550 has a lot of praise and is in the same general price range; it's one I would consider in your shoes. I don't (yet) have any personal experience with it, so can't say much of anything specific about it.
I second this, and I have experience with these microphones....I have two on tour with me at the moment. Same price range, sound good, tough as nails with excellent proximity, off axis and feedback performance. How they do this at this price is amazing.
Old 9th June 2019
Gear Addict

Same thing. No one will notice a difference.
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar dave View Post
Same thing. No one will notice a difference.
Speak for yourself but most People including I always notice when I use a good vocal microphone. I’m just back in the hotel from tonight’s gig...a blues festival, and a lot of people (audience, local crew, other bands) asked about the vocal mics that I used.

I also notice when I don’t have to work as hard to get the sound and performance I want...who would not want to use the best available tool for a given job. It must be a joy for musicians to work with a mixer who doesn’t care and have no ambition to do the best job possible.
Old 9th June 2019
Gear Addict

Bold move dude, assuming you know my workflow.

They’re close enough that the difference isn’t worth worrying about. I own a bunch of both and can get completely satisfacorty results with either. I’m sure you can too, and that’s simply my point.

People would ask you about your microphones no matter what is in your kit. That doesn’t make one mic better than the other. It makes you either really good at what you do, or really bad at what you do lol.

This is all lighthearted, no need to mess yourself. I’m sure the OP will be happy with either.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

The 835s sound a bit smoother and need a little more gain than 58s.
I'd take 835s or AKG D5s over 58s.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Talking SM58 vs Sennheiser 835

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuasalogam View Post
The 835s sound a bit smoother and need a little more gain than 58s.
I'd take 835s or AKG D5s over 58s.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I have both and it is true they are fairly equal in ruggedness. Neither have ever failed on me even after drops by drunken guests at private parties/gigs,
The perception the SM 58 is louder comes from the high mid punch built into the 58. There are things I like better about each, the Proximity effect of the 58, and the smoother tight high mids and a bit crisper highs of the Sennheiser. I have been using my AKG 3800 for over 10 years and it blows either of the 58/835's away.
The 3800 sounds like a condenser with the very detailed crisp wispy highs, and wonderful lows and proximity effect. The 3800 sounds a lot like a Beta 58 but a bit better to MY ears. Used 3800's have been selling for between $35-$65.00 on Ebay plus the newer version, the one that the grill doesn't look like a VICKS triangle cough drop comes with a very nice Aluminum carrying case.
I'd like to hear the AKG D50 and 3800 side by side, has anyone?? also the
Lewitt MTP550 intrigues me! I probably have 20 mics from old Unidyne 545' Senn 421-U, EV Pl series 76-77 (still love em and they work fine with the AA sized 3.7 rechargeable batteries or Phantom on the 77b. MyAKG P20 Vocals and instruments in Studio, and an oddball Sennheiser MD 518 that sounds very close to the 58.. Too many Mic's too little time.. OH can't forget the Vintage AKG D330-BT, I love em all lol..
I am a Mic JUNKIE.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxd Ped View Post
I was re-evaluating the PA system for our small gaming/sci-fi convention, and decided to put together a cost-benefit analysis for purchasing one.

I'm debating between the Shure SM58 and Sennheiser e835. We currently rent SM58s, but I'm not married to them, so I was looking at other general purpose stage mics.

Anyone got any suggestions between the two, or others I hadn't considered? IF (big if) we move to buy, I'd get about 5 of them.

Thanks in advance.
Did you really say you are renting an SM58?

I assume you mean you are renting a PA package that includes it?

Any ways I have only had luck using the 835 as a presenter mic/used at about 1 foot away from presenter. Closer is ok too. I think it's a great cheap mic for presenter clarity however I have NEVER found a single, male or female, that it sounded good with.

If you want a clean mic for speaking then 835 all day long before an sm58. If you are looking for a singing mic, I would pass on the 835.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
It must be a joy for musicians to work with a mixer who doesn’t care and have no ambition to do the best job possible.
This is extremely confrontational and immature.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
I second this, and I have experience with these microphones....I have two on tour with me at the moment. Same price range, sound good, tough as nails with excellent proximity, off axis and feedback performance. How they do this at this price is amazing.
https://www.lewitt-audio.com/blog/lewitt-tour-diary
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search