The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Powered speaker xlr out silenced speaker when connected to pa? puzzled....thoughts?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Powered speaker xlr out silenced speaker when connected to pa? puzzled....thoughts?

I was running sound for a band last night...the keyboard player had a gemini 15" powered speaker...it sounded good for stage volume. When i plugged the xlr output on the speaker to run it into the pa, it seemed to make the signal in the speaker disappear. it still sounded fine through pa, but obv was a problem w stage volume.

ive used the xlr outputs on powered speakers many times to great success. im not sure what was up here.

my suspicion was that someone had switched phantom power on the mixer and this somehow sagged the powered speakers internal signal? i was in a spot trying to keep the show moving and i didnt have time to sort out if it was switched on. ive seen people fry cheap DIs live w phantom power. this is really the only guess i can come up with?

ive also done sound for the band before and used the xlr output from the speaker w no problems. only thing i dont like is theres generally no ground lift on these dedicated xlr speaker outputs and ive missed being able to ground lift signal noise out a few times.

anyone have any ideas/experience w powered speakers and the xlr outputs?

what would be a simple safe solution? should i just get an xlr to 1/4" cable and feed a dedicated DI before the pa system so that the stage speaker is safe from any issues?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

There are a few unknowns here, but I'd be starting by looking at phantom power.

Actually, though, and in answer to your second question, I'd be starting by doing it the right way, and using a DI box on the keyboards with the link out from the DI feeding his monitor rig. That way, you know you're going to get a decent feed, and you're not at the mercy of whatever unexpected circuitry is in his speaker (remember, Gemini kit is pretty low grade)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search